Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-13-2004, 9:28 AM Reply   
Bought a 2000 x-star late last year, trying to set up the ballast correctly for this season. There is the standard sack in the center underneath the floor. I put 2 v-drive sacs in the back lockers, one on each side, and one 500-700 sack in the front walkway on the floor. We took the boat out yesterday to see how things worked and felt. Wake looked fine and boat worked good at wakeboarding speeds, but when we took off to go and get someone at the dock, I noticed the Bow rode fairly high, and most importantly, the boat bounced up and down (Porpoising?) at the bow quite a bit on speeds over 28 miles per hour. Is the normal? Should we have more weight in the bow to keep the boat from doing this? Do I have to much weight in the back lockers? Or do I have to accept this fact that the boat will do this when we have weight in it? Any help would be appreciated.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-13-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
My '01 does the same damn thing. Sometimes it helps to let up on the throttle to settle it down and then get back with it. I usually run the stock ballast and just add people, but it does seem to be better when unloaded. Hope this helps.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-13-2004, 9:53 AM Reply   
yes the boat will porpoise at those speeds and is something that you will have to get used to. Adding more ballast to the bow will not help. I ran 500lb sacs in the back, thats up to you. If I had to do it over again I would install a custom ballast system. 2 bow sacs under the seats, center ballast is installed, and 2 more 500lb sacs in the rear. I use Jebsco pumps, they are more expensive than the alternative but are USSG approved. Do a search, there are many well done installs posted on the site. If you have any questions let me know
Old     (moondoggie)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-13-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
Isn't it strange though that the boat porpoises with Ballast? I mean, when we don't have any ballast, the boat can go any speed, and not have that problem. I just figured it was a weight shifting issue, but I haven't been able to correct it. I am glad to hear that some one else knows somehting about this. I was thinking maybe my boat has a demon in it or something. Thanks for the replies