Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Rdub523)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-20-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Hey guys, looking to get my first press board.
I took an FLX for a spin around the cable park the other day. I did not get to spend as much time as I wanted on it, due to the long lines. But I started to dig it towards the end of the session. That was my first time riding any type of completely finless, no channels, press board. So it felt squirly at first, but I had it under control towards the end. I did ride a Watson hybrid also, and I really dug that board. But I cant find any decent deals on one.

Now, I'm just wondering if I should pull the trigger on the FLX, or should I try and hold out until I can get someone to let me take a spin on their Slingshot. Obviously I know there are a few other press boards out there, but I'm kind of limiting myself to the "good deals" I've found on the 2010 FLX and the 09-10 Slingshots.

I can tell you what I'm looking for is pressability (obviously) and soft landing off the kickers (old knees!). By the way, I mostly ride cable these days.
Any advice?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-20-2010, 12:53 PM Reply   
My advice would be to wait. Wait for a chance to ride a Slingshot board, and wait until the 2011 gear is all released, which will drop the price of 2010 stuff. I usually ride my buddy's 2010 Response at our local cable, but had a chance to try a Watson Hybrid one day, and I did not like the Hybrid at all. The bases are different, which makes them feel different on rails, and I didnt like the feel of the Hybrid. I think it would be worth your while to wait until you can try a Slingshot, to be sure you're buying the best board for your riding.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-20-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
Sent PM.
Old     (Gears)      Join Date: May 2010       09-20-2010, 2:50 PM Reply   
FLX is rubbish, bases buckled on 2, some sort of fault between the liquid rails and the base material binding properly, go a SS.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-21-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
+1 for FLX being trash.

Slingshot is bulletproof
Old     (ShawnMcNasty)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-21-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Try looking at the vibe. I just picked one up from boardco.com. the 2010 model just went on sale. I think the vibe has been pretty under estimated compaired to liquid force and slingshot.
Old     (Rdub523)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-21-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Yeah I actually saw a Vibe at a shop the other day. This shop does not demo boards though, and I've not seen anyone riding it at my local spot, so.....I'm just all about riding a board before buying it, if possible. Also the Vibe seemed kind of heavy.

As for the FLX being trash, did you guys not like the way it rode? Or was it just an issue with how it held up?
Old     (Rdub523)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-21-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
Also, what do you guys think about the Slingshot boots? I'm not necessarily in the market for boots, but I found a decent Slingshot "package" deal. But just from the looks of them, they seem kind of "bulky", which makes me think they might be heavy. I'm riding a "heavy rig" right now (older Gator Gonz, 08 CWB Answer) and I'm kind of over it. Wanting my newer setup to be a bit lighter.
Old     (ColoRadDude)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-21-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
I just took a boat set on Henshaw's 2011 LF board, the Deluxe, and had a surprisingly great set. I guess they built it off the old Substance. It has a spine and other features on the bottom this year so it makes boat riding a lot better than last years. Haven't had an opportunity to hit sliders yet, but I assume it is a blast.
Old     (ShawnMcNasty)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-21-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
The vibe isn't heavy at all. I too just got off of a gator and that thing was a tank. The vibe is acually super light in comparison . I got the 2010 faction boots with it as a package. Both boots and board only cost me $418.00. W/ free shipping only took 3 days.... every where esle was charging about $550.00. For the same package.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-22-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdub523 View Post
Also, what do you guys think about the Slingshot boots? I'm not necessarily in the market for boots, but I found a decent Slingshot "package" deal. But just from the looks of them, they seem kind of "bulky", which makes me think they might be heavy. I'm riding a "heavy rig" right now (older Gator Gonz, 08 CWB Answer) and I'm kind of over it. Wanting my newer setup to be a bit lighter.
I have the D2's, and I like them. Call slingshot and ask what their boots weigh, and compare them to other boots. I can't tell a difference between my D2's and and any other closed toe. I do remember Trevor Hansen's boots by CWB are extremely light, if looking into those is an option.
Old     (Gears)      Join Date: May 2010       09-22-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
Yeah was more how it held up, base crippled, rode great on the sliders **** behind boat.