Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-21-2010, 8:09 AM Reply   
What on earth was/is NBC doing?

Conan fails with mainstream America at 11:30 PM.
Talk shows (with Leno) fail at 10:00 PM.

We all predicted these failures. But, Conan is getting a sweet deal for failing!

NBC: Conan O'Brien reaches $45M exit deal

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100121/ap_on_en_tv/us_tv_leno_o_brien
Old     (mfifer)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-21-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
I hope someone is already working with Conan on a new show. Him and Kimmel are the only people on late night that actually do funny stuff and Letterman has his moments but Jimmy Fallon, Jay, and Carson Daly all blow. I think this is a really bad idea for NBC and will not turn out will in the future for them.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2010, 8:15 AM Reply   
Conan failed because the 10pm slot failed miserably, leading local news to fail (see the affiliate meltdown that led to all this). And, now the Leno "brand" is so tarnished, Leno's probably never going to recover.

I have no idea why they didn't just kick Jay to the curb and keep Conan. Conan clearly has more long-term viability. He at least deserved a chance with a normal 10pm drama lineup.

It's all good though, I think Conan will end up on Fox where it's probably a better fit for him anyway.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-21-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
"It's all good though, I think Conan will end up on Fox where it's probably a better fit for him anyway."

Agreed 100% If any of you watched the show last night, the return of *********ing Bear was epic. Stuff like that will be tame campared to what Fox will allow.

If you haven't been watching Conan, I highly advise you watch tonight and tomorrow. Pissed off Conan is VERY funny. I've always been a fan, but he is definantely bringing his A game this week.
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-21-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
I must really be in the minority but I don't find Conan funny at all! I think he is unbelievably annoying. I am not a big fan of Leno or Letterman either but Conan is just horrible. Also, why doesn't Craig Furgueson get any love when people rate the late night hosts. I think he is the best of the bunch.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-21-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
As long as nothing happens to Craig Fergusons show i'm happy.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-21-2010, 8:40 AM Reply   
Jay Leno and Brett Favre both read the same book. Both retired on their own accord. Both wreaked havoc when they changed their minds.

NBC is making a really bad decision. The Leno fans are the 60+ crowd that will be gone soon. Conan fans are the 30 somethings that will watch him for 30+ years.

Horrible call by NBC. I could care less as I will enjoy watching Conan on Fox anyways.
Old     (sloshake)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-21-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Agreed. Ferguson is the only one I watch. Love that his interviews seem less rehearsed than all the others.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-21-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
If my TV is on at all, it is generally off (and I am in bed) way before these guys shows.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-21-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Brad, I am with you. I think Conan sucks (horribly annoying). Leno is OK. Letterman is better. And, Craig Furgueson is great.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-21-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
I have never liked Conan at all but I watched him this week and it is funny! mostly because he is taking an hour to rip on UNC.

Other than that they are all lame IMO.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-21-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/21/conan-obrien-gets-satisfaction-from-latest-character-1/

Now this was funny...
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       01-21-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
GD and Brad, agreed Conan is horrible, if someone made me watch his skit "In the year 3000" over and over again I would have to commit Hari kari
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-21-2010, 11:46 AM Reply   
i think FOX will pick up Conan.

has anyone seen the George Lopez show? friggin' blows, if you ask me.

(Message edited by ironj32 on January 21, 2010)
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       01-21-2010, 1:34 PM Reply   
Ya i don't get the whole Conan hype, he just pulls way too many stupid skits. Watched last night and the return of the bear was just dumb.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       01-21-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
+1 for Leno....I detest the Ginger, not funny AT ALL
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
I think Jay is a pompous ass. I dont think I'll watch him again.
Even though he got paid big bucks, Conan got screwed imo.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-21-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
+1
I love Conan, Leno is just annoying.

It was probably all planned ahead by NBC to drum up buzz
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2010, 2:16 PM Reply   
BIG Letterman fan.... Will watch Ferguson when I happen on him, but I don't do that much.

Can't watch Leno....
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       01-21-2010, 3:41 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-21-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
I have never been a huge fan of any of the shows. I find a few parts funny here and there, but I never consistently watch any of them.

Can anyone sum up for me what has happened? I saw all these stories and I just never cared to click on any of them to read all the drama. It has gone on longer than I expected, so now I am curious.

Leno left for his own show and Conan moved into Leno's time spot, right?

Then what happened? NBC decided to bring back Leno? Or Leno asked to come back?
Old    murrayair            01-21-2010, 7:45 PM Reply   
I like Conan more than any of the other late-night guys. I hope whatever show he does next does well. NBC is digging themselves into a very deep and expensive hole by pushing him out so aggressively. I love watching all the late-night hosts, especially Conan, rip on NBC night after night.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-22-2010, 2:22 AM Reply   
I didn't care for leno when he took after Carson. Now I'm older I get his humor and I enjoy him. I tried Conan. Thee one night I watched him was when they were announcing him as his replacement. It was was awful It was like he was impersonating Leno on everything. I tried again with him later and he was doing his own thing then and the guy had no class and was simply obnoxious and annoying. Lettermans humor I don't get, nor do I care for. Was I glad for leno's new show? Yes and it came on earlier. However I don't like the remote interviews that took the show down IMO
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-22-2010, 9:03 AM Reply   
Conan lost the show because he himself is not funny or entertaining.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       01-22-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   

quote:

Can anyone sum up for me what has happened?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ9m1an-pQ8
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       01-22-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
"Leno left for his own show and Conan moved into Leno's time spot, right?

Then what happened? NBC decided to bring back Leno? Or Leno asked to come back?"

From what I've heard Leno was told in 2004 by NBC that Conan was taking over the Tonight show in 2009. Basically saying to Leno your out, the reason being they were afraid that Conan was going to jump ship. Gotta love the Karma
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-22-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
Leno was basically told to retire. Then they said he'd get a primetime spot. Didn't work, Conan isn't funny, so they want to move back to the way it was.

I guess Conan is funny to a select audience. I find it odd that so many people comment on Leno only being for over 50 yr olds and what-not, when unless you're into crass, sarcastic, stupid imo humor, you can't watch much of Conan. This scenario is perfect for Conan's humor. He can keep making stupid jokes and skits and they actually make somewhat sense and have an underlying humor to them now with the issues instead of just being completely stupid.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-23-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E2KQ7z_OgQ
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-23-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
I don't care for Conan or Letterman. I like Leno, but I'd rather watch reruns of Futurama or Family Guy than any of them.