Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old    yearling            02-14-2004, 8:42 PM Reply   
It seems like I always see gekkos around where I live. Im also finding some really good deals on them, but I have never once heard of them on wakeworld. Is there a problem or conflict with gekko. Will a gekko throw a decent wake? Im just wondering if gekko would be a good starter wakeboard boat and why nobody has ever talked about them. Thx.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-14-2004, 9:12 PM Reply   
You probably don't hear much about them on Wakeworld because they are built in Minnesota and are a pretty regional brand, while it seems a large % of WakeWorld posters are from California. I haven't heard anything good or bad about them, I have only seen one in person once.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-14-2004, 10:17 PM Reply   
Gekko, is also made by FineLine out here in California. I don't know that they produce a lot of them but... They are know for their tunnel hull design(an innovation for ski but not so great for WakeN). The review in WaterSki Mag tells the tale, with lots O weight it can throw a family style wake. I've heard they make really good barefoot boats. Anyways, if you are looking for a Wake Boat - take a test drive in all the major manufacturers boat then a Gekko and see for yourself. Never buy with out some comparison shopping...
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-15-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
Gekko is a small manufacturer. I have sold lots of boats to wakeboarders that are getting into the sport and they all enjoy them very much. With any boat you have to add weight if you want a decent wake.
I have found that the GT series with a Launch Pad on each side of the engine produces the same size wake as a Malibu Response with the same weight but the Gekko has more transition to it(personal preference).
The Revo v-drive boat with an 1100lbs ballast system in the rear, the wake is great. I was the first dealer to switch out the small hard tanks for 2 Launch Pads and now they will come built with the Pads. The wake isn't as big as a Nautique or Calabria but you won't be disappointed.
Mark Overbye lives right by you. Give him a call. He'd be happy to take you out in one. 612-226-6900.
www.gtwatersports.com

Old    yearling            02-15-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   
Thx for all the advice guys. Yeah there is a gekko dealer right across the street from me so I should have the oppertunity to testdrive one this spring. I did a little bit of boat searching yesterday, and I looked at the gekkos. They seem like a well built boat. Thers a brand new gekko right outside of the dealership and it looks awsome, but I couldnt even nearly afford a new gekko thats built for wakeboarding. So would one of the 1990's ski boats be good for wakeboarding if enough weight is added?
Old     (goodtimes)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-15-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
Yes you'd be quite happy with a GTO or GTR 22 with a couple of Launch Pads.
I know there's always used ones for sale there in Minnesota. They always trade up to newer ones.

Good luck.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-15-2004, 4:05 PM Reply   
Gekkos is well built and you should not have a problem. Motors are universal and the warranty is from the motor manufacturer. Because Gekko has a limited dealership network, they will work with your choice of repair facility rather than demanding their own. This makes it even easier than most of the big names.

I use a GTO-22 for wakeboarding and it does fine. Two other friends have a Moomba and a Correct Craft. I use a lot less fuel than they do. Just the more efficient hull design. One other side benefit - very little chine spray. I don't need an extension for my boom while teaching new riders.
Old    yearling            02-15-2004, 6:11 PM Reply   
Thx guys. That makes me feel a lot more comfortable looking at gekkos. I was wondering which models where open bow. I think that the gto is, but are there any other models that are open bow?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-15-2004, 7:01 PM Reply   
GTO, GTR, Revo 6.7, Revo 6.7i, Reve 7.1, Bazooka