Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-24-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
I have narrowed my search for a new/used boat to a 08 VTX or 08 Tige 20v. Would appreciate input on these from those of you who have owned or rode behind these two boats. Mostly surf these days, but still have alot of boarders who come with us as well.(The Tige says it's only rated for 9 people vs 10 for the VTX, wonder why?) Both in same price range and comporable options. I have riden behind some Mailbu's but not a Tige. Input appreciated, tks.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-24-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
Test both, but get advice on how to setup up each first for surfing. My buddie's VTX hull is a pain to get a good Clean surf wave, the swimdeck is just too low and edgy and we gotta run fast which is ok if surfstyle but skimming at 12.5mph sux. Love the wakeboarding wake on the VTX.

Just saw pics and video of Tige so can't say from experience. Looks better surf, less wakeboard
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-24-2011, 12:12 PM Reply   
I have friends that owned a Tige 20v. They had constant issues with speed control. Engine ECU had to be replaced several times due to issues. They put 3500lb of weight for wakeboarding and the wake still sucked (yes i rode behind it). It drove like a pig. I'm not sure which is better for surfing, but IMO its not a good call to purchase a wakeboard boat based on its surf wake alone. The VTX wake is a little wide for wakeboarding, but manageable. Here is the VTX surfwake, more that adequate.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-24-2011, 12:17 PM Reply   
I ride behind an 07 VTX pretty regularly. Wakeboarding wake is awesome with about 2500lbs and the wedge. The surf wake is really good too when the weight is put in it right. I am sure Chris will jump in here with some pictures of the surf wake. I think it is something like rear tank full with a 750 bag full on top of that. Front bag as full as it will get with a 500lb bag in the walk way. Not sure if he fills the center tank or not. I don't think he rides all that fast when surfing. Right around 11mph or so.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-24-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
I run my VTX about 725-1200 in the bow depending on who is in the boat, if I don't have enough people I move the 500 to the surf side seats, full center, 950 surf side. Wave is clean with 15-20 ft pocket( depending on speed) and a nice lip and curl. It has tons of push, most beginers are riding no rope their first day.
Attached Images

Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-24-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
we are running 10.4 in that pic run up to 11 for the longest pocket
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2011, 7:24 PM Reply   
Tige doesn't have a good wakeboard wake?I'm 52 years old and this is the stock wake[no weight in the boat]75 ft line Taps on 6 and 22.5 mph.These photos were taken last week.
Attached Images

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-24-2011, 7:28 PM Reply   
Oh and a Malibu VTX has an excellent wake also.I have ridden behind one too.I have only surfed behind my Tige.But i have seen Malibu waves and they are good too.My suggestion would be demo both with some of the boarders who will ride with you regularly.Good Luck.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       08-24-2011, 7:44 PM Reply   
My vote is for Malibu for fit and finish. Hard to beat the Malibu wake as well.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2011, 7:57 PM Reply   
I have never seen a quality surf wave behind a VTX. They always look way to tall and short.
I have tons of pictures from an 02 20V.......

Pretty awesome surf wave with 1100# rear locker (conforms to locker and fills close to 900#+) 150# under seats and 300# in the bow. <--This is all hidden ballast. with this setup the rub rail is just above the water. Then we add 2 350# on the seats in the back depending on how many people are out with us. At this point the rub rail is underwater and the wave is killer. We run it with the taps between 4-6 at speeds between 11.0-11.7 mph assuming my PP is accurate.

Here are a few pictures.

Speed 11.5mph this was without the 2 350# on the seats and 4 people in the boat. Note, this picture was taken on an iphone by someone standing above the motor, so the angle is DOWN. makes it look much smaller.

Speed 10.7 for you skimmers.

Here is a vid from last summer. This is without the extra 350#'s and with only 3 people in the boat.

I will be out tomorrow morning and can get specific pictures if you'd like! just let me know what you want.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-24-2011, 10:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyatt_ohp View Post
They put 3500lb of weight for wakeboarding and the wake still sucked (yes i rode behind it). It drove like a pig.
Yea? Wonder why??

Poor boat.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2011, 11:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Tige doesn't have a good wakeboard wake?I'm 52 years old and this is the stock wake[no weight in the boat]75 ft line Taps on 6 and 22.5 mph.These photos were taken last week.
Robert, I would complain about you posting pics again and your constant reminders about how old you are, if only I could get that kind of air. But since I can't, I will just say, nice riding.

With that said, nobody was saying that Tiges don't make a nice wake. The post simply said that the Tige 20V doesn't make a nice wake. Big difference between a 20V and what you have.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2011, 11:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
One more thing, Robert. Why are you still rocking the training wheels on that CWB? Take that digger fin off already. You are clearly good enough.

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2011, 3:58 AM Reply   
I've seen the wake behind a 20v and the main difference is it is't as wide or as tall as my RZ2.I also know MALIBU owners who have had trouble getting their boats fixed.Sometimes as in the case i'm speaking of,they just need a good mechanic.I just get tired of the same guys bashing the same brand of boat in different threads.I keep the training wheels on because i use that board to teach new riders with that board and i do lip slides and backside slides with them on all the time.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-25-2011, 6:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
I also know MALIBU owners who have had trouble getting their boats fixed. I just get tired of the same guys bashing the same brand of boat in different threads.
So you are tired of people bashing your brand of boat, and yet in the same breath you throw out some random bash about Malibu owners you know having trouble getting their boats fixed?

You are way too sensitive. Nobody said all Tiges have bad wakeboard wakes. The original poster asked about the wake behind a 20V, why are you posting pictures of the wake behind your RZ2? So I guess for those who said they didn't like the VTX surf wake a reasonable response would be to post pictures of the 23 LSV surf wake?
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-25-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
I was just wondering when robert would chime in to defend Tige. This isn't the first thread I've argued with you on about how I feel about Tige and it wont be the last I'm sure. I'll go on the record for saying that I think all Tige wakes suck. I'll also say to Bill that the boat was a pig to drive without the 3500lb in it too. It just wasn't a good boat, much like every Tige I've been in. Robert, your wake looks horrible, especially in the second pic. You say it's stock and thats cool, but even if you added weight and its bigger, Tige's get more washy and still have a horrible shape. Probably because they design their hulls to "perform" around a damn trim tab - I still find this design strategy unbelievable. Ask any advanced or pro rider, its night and day difference in the wakes of Tige vs. other manufactures. EVERY single person i know locally that has owned a Tige over the last 11 years has since jumped to Mastercraft, Malibu/Axis or Nautique and not went back because they weren't happy with their purchases. Like you said, the potential buyer should demo the boats. I have no doubt that the fit & finish, styling, performance and most importantly, wake quality of the VTX will be far superior to the 20v.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-25-2011, 7:31 AM Reply   
There is no comparison between a Malibu and Tige..... None.

Every Tige I've ever been in has been a rattle-trap POS..... Malibu is a far better boat.
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-25-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
I ride my buddy's vtx all the time, and set up right it is probably one of the best surf waves I have rode. But everybody's preference is different. He also has a custom bag in the port side locker that extends all the way under the seats. AKA Dong Bag. Last time out we had 3 people in the boat and I was riding at least 15-18 feet back just to get some pics of the length of the wake. Was pretty damn sick.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
Another big plus to the VTX is that it drives like a race car, now the more sacked out you get the less responsive it becomes, but that's any boat. I haven't had one issue wiht my VTX yet(knock on wood) it's gained in value since I bought bought it, not depreciated, and once I sacked it out I could get anywhere fomr a beginner wake to a wake that throws you. Larger boats will throw better surf wakes, but for a 20ft boat you can't beat the VTX, yes it's tall at 10.4, but you run in the mid 11's and it will be every bit as long as the pic of the tige at 11.5, just a little larger
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-25-2011, 9:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob View Post
He also has a custom bag in the port side locker that extends all the way under the seats. AKA Dong Bag.
Hahahahaha Hilarious.

+1 for Malibuover a Tige anyday.Ill take better finish and resale value over a cheaper Tige ...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
I was just wondering when robert would chime in to defend Tige. This isn't the first thread I've argued with you on about how I feel about Tige and it wont be the last I'm sure. I'll go on the record for saying that I think all Tige wakes suck. I'll also say to Bill that the boat was a pig to drive without the 3500lb in it too. It just wasn't a good boat, much like every Tige I've been in. Robert, your wake looks horrible, especially in the second pic. You say it's stock and thats cool, but even if you added weight and its bigger, Tige's get more washy and still have a horrible shape. Probably because they design their hulls to "perform" around a damn trim tab - I still find this design strategy unbelievable. Ask any advanced or pro rider, its night and day difference in the wakes of Tige vs. other manufactures. EVERY single person i know locally that has owned a Tige over the last 11 years has since jumped to Mastercraft, Malibu/Axis or Nautique and not went back because they weren't happy with their purchases. Like you said, the potential buyer should demo the boats. I have no doubt that the fit & finish, styling, performance and most importantly, wake quality of the VTX will be far superior to the 20v.
Bhyatt in all the pics the wake i took off on was clean.The air i got was respectable.If i add weight in the boat i'd get more height and distance.I'm not a pro,maybe intermediate at best.BUT i just proved my point.If an old man can get that much air and distance,the wake can't be that bad.Also i could afford any wakeboat out there,i looked at them all.I chose what i liked the best.I don't cut down other boats.All have their strengths and weaknesses.I guess we will have to agree to disagree and let the OP demo both and decide.P.S. You don't need a clean landing wake when your landing in the flats.Just ask the pro's and watch any pro event they have washed out landing wakes.That comes from being a man when you cut into the wake.You may experience that one day if your lucky
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
I'll back Robert up on this, plus it's hard to tell what might be washing the wake out. If you have people sitting wrong int he boat, or if you have bags filled differently, hell the driver could be slightly turning. My VTX washes out sometimes too depending on multiple factors. In this pic we had about 1500lbs of ballast, wedge, and 6 adults, 2 kids, an 80lbs dog and a 40lbs dog. My wife isn't as good as I am at directing people where to sit to clean it up. Luckily I'm big enough that whihc ever side I'm cutting into cleans up no matter what.
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-25-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
I haven't surfed behind either but I have wakeboarded behind my buddy's '08 Tige 20V with it loaded with about 2,000 lbs of ballast and it throws a solid wake. He has a lead bar that he moves around to clean up the wake but I have seen riders do that in Bu's and MC's too. He runs 3 of the 750lb fly high sacs in it.
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-25-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
Agreed. This VTX wave is wayyyyyyyy too short and steep.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-25-2011, 12:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
No wonder Daniel Watkins, Adam Errington, Erik Ruck, Nick Weinacker, Tino Santori and Scotty Broome are all HORRIBLE riders its that crappy boat they are sponsored by. However, I would agree that the 20v is the weakest boat in the Tige line up. The other thing I don't get is the idea of a boat driving like a pig. I drive in a very straight line not sure why anyone one needs to cut steering or what have you. Never understood this. To each their own. Oh and I am a MC guy thats had sh it rattle loose on his premium boat. boat wars funny.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-25-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampawake View Post
No wonder Daniel Watkins, Adam Errington, Erik Ruck, Nick Weinacker, Tino Santori and Scotty Broome are all HORRIBLE riders its that crappy boat they are sponsored by. However, I would agree that the 20v is the weakest boat in the Tige line up. The other thing I don't get is the idea of a boat driving like a pig. I drive in a very straight line not sure why anyone one needs to cut steering or what have you. Never understood this. To each their own. Oh and I am a MC guy thats had sh it rattle loose on his premium boat. boat wars funny.

You think they would turn down the sponsorship even if they didn't care for the boat?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_B View Post
So you are tired of people bashing your brand of boat, and yet in the same breath you throw out some random bash about Malibu owners you know having trouble getting their boats fixed?

You are way too sensitive. Nobody said all Tiges have bad wakeboard wakes. The original poster asked about the wake behind a 20V, why are you posting pictures of the wake behind your RZ2? So I guess for those who said they didn't like the VTX surf wake a reasonable response would be to post pictures of the 23 LSV surf wake?
You didn't comprehend what you read. I didn't cut down Malibu. I stated i knew people that owned them that had repeated issues,that turned out to be a bad mechanic.Once they got a good mechanic the problems we gone.You were too quick to jump the gun.As for the 20v give me that boat stock and the MALIBU stock and i'll get just as much height and distance on either one.They are very close wakes.THE wake doesn't make the rider,technique does.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2011, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05mobiuslsv View Post
You think they would turn down the sponsorship even if they didn't care for the boat?
Like Rusty ,Harley,Phil or Randall wouldn't ride a different boat for a better deal.Just like NASCAR with GM,FORD,DODGE and TOYOTA.The drivers drive whoever's car pays them the most money.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-25-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
You didn't comprehend what you read. I didn't cut down Malibu. I stated i knew people that owned them that had repeated issues,that turned out to be a bad mechanic.Once they got a good mechanic the problems we gone.You were too quick to jump the gun.As for the 20v give me that boat stock and the MALIBU stock and i'll get just as much height and distance on either one.They are very close wakes.THE wake doesn't make the rider,technique does.
Hilarious. I, and everybody else here, comprehend the things you post just fine. If not an attempt to share a negative 2nd hand "experience" with Malibu, than why did you post it? What relevance did that comment have to anything in this thread? About as much relevance as posting pics of your RZ2 wake when discussing the 20V wake...
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-25-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
I have never seen a quality surf wave behind a VTX. They always look way to tall and short.
I have tons of pictures from an 02 20V.......

Pretty awesome surf wave with 1100# rear locker (conforms to locker and fills close to 900#+) 150# under seats and 300# in the bow. <--This is all hidden ballast. with this setup the rub rail is just above the water. Then we add 2 350# on the seats in the back depending on how many people are out with us. At this point the rub rail is underwater and the wave is killer. We run it with the taps between 4-6 at speeds between 11.0-11.7 mph assuming my PP is accurate.

Here are a few pictures.

Speed 11.5mph this was without the 2 350# on the seats and 4 people in the boat. Note, this picture was taken on an iphone by someone standing above the motor, so the angle is DOWN. makes it look much smaller.

Speed 10.7 for you skimmers.

Here is a vid from last summer. This is without the extra 350#'s and with only 3 people in the boat.

I will be out tomorrow morning and can get specific pictures if you'd like! just let me know what you want.
That looks like a good surf wake to me. Nice and clean with a good vertical lip.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-25-2011, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Like Rusty ,Harley,Phil or Randall wouldn't ride a different boat for a better deal.Just like NASCAR with GM,FORD,DODGE and TOYOTA.The drivers drive whoever's car pays them the most money.
Exactly my point.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-25-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
Hey J-bob whats the setup in that picture above?? I want my VTX surf wake to look like that

I've got good height but its not long enough...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-25-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_B View Post
Hilarious. I, and everybody else here, comprehend the things you post just fine. If not an attempt to share a negative 2nd hand "experience" with Malibu, than why did you post it? What relevance did that comment have to anything in this thread? About as much relevance as posting pics of your RZ2 wake when discussing the 20V wake...
Again you can't comprehend.It wasn't a negative,it got turned into a positive when i hooked the guy up with a good mechanic who fixed his boat.I was using that as an example of spreading negative about a brand.You can ask any of my friends who own MALIBU,Mastercraft ,Nautique,Supra,MB or Moomba's i don't cut down or spread negative comments about other boats.I try to be fair and honest.I don't know anyone personally that has a Axis,but have only heard good things for the most part.I just get tired of people saying if you don't ride behind this boat weighted this way you won't be any good.
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-25-2011, 2:57 PM Reply   
Stuey, Wedge up, "Dong bag full", left tank full, front tank full, 3 people in the boat and 10.2-10.6mph if I remember right. Wakemakers have the bag info.

Last edited by joebob; 08-25-2011 at 2:59 PM.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-25-2011, 3:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
Hey J-bob whats the setup in that picture above?? I want my VTX surf wake to look like that

I've got good height but its not long enough...
How fasst are you going? Speed up to that speed and you'll have just as long a pocket, but you need to be good enough to know how to keep up
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-25-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebob View Post
Stuey, Wedge up, "Dong bag full", left tank full, front tank full, 3 people in the boat and 10.2-10.6mph if I remember right. Wakemakers have the bag info.
Not really that fast. And you would be surprised. It is really easy to recover on a wave that long. You can play up front , but the sweetest part of the pocket is about 15ft back.