Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    wakeboard4568            06-21-2002, 6:34 PM Reply   
Hey, I've got a nash cosmic airprofile 140 & I just got soem brand new bindings...Anyway, i watched Class in Session, & then went out to try the 180..I'm getting so frustrated beacuse i just can't get it!I know it's really important to learn because it leads up to alot of other things.I just cant seem to get my board to make the switch.It feels really heavy..Any help?
Old     (obrienride16)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-21-2002, 6:40 PM Reply   
make sure, you keep the handle in close to your hip, as you should on any trick, and it helps if you even out your weight distribution, versus riding with alot of weight on your back foot, its easy, just go for it. but try bunny hop/ollie 180s, they're easier. (if you can ollie)
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-21-2002, 7:26 PM Reply   
Hey Elisabeth, check out www.ladyboarder.com and click on the Surface Tricks link, or go to the tricks page and you'll see them. There is a description there of the surface 180. If you have anyquestions just send me an email at that address.
Later
Tiffanator
www.ladyboarder.com
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2002, 4:21 PM Reply   
Elisabeth, have the driver slow the boat down to around 14 or 15 mph when you want to do your surface 180s. That will make it easier for the fin to break loose.

Then, bend the knees and pull the handle in and toward the direction from which you want your back foot to come. Thus, if you are riding right foot forward, pull the handle in and to the left. As the board starts to cut loose, lean on your heels a little or you may faceplant. You may fall backward a few times getting the feel for it but better than faceplanting.

If you want to 180 at a faster speed you need to first learn to Ollie, then try the Ollie 180s out in the flats. You might also try the 180 as you slowly go over the wake as that helps the fins cut loose as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old    wakeboard4568            06-25-2002, 2:41 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I took your advice on the 180. My only problem is when I get my board to switch to something that resembles a sideslide, i can't get it to switch all the way around to my opposite foot, but I'm gonna keep on trying & i'll keep in touch. Thanks!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-25-2002, 4:06 PM Reply   
Continue to push the handle toward the hip you want to become the lead hip. Or, let go of the handle with what is to become your trailing hand.

Thus, if you are goofy (right foot forward), then push the handle toward your left hip and put a little more weight on your right foot. Or, let go with your right hand.
Old    wakeboard4568            06-28-2002, 12:42 PM Reply   
Hey guys. This next thing has nothing to do with the surface 180(which is coming along well thanks to your advice..but i thought you'd like to read it anyway.Shaun Murray & the BYT finally arrived here in TN June 5. I got to the shop late to find out that he was out on the lake riding already. This wouldn't have been a problem except for it was about to really storm. So there i went with expired tags going 60mph across town to get there in time to meet him. Anyway, to make a long story short, we got there just in time. He was really nice & I immediatly felt comfortable around him. He signed my wakeboard & a shirt & some posters & some other stuff. It was so much fun. They even got some pics of me with him!They finally are posted on the third set of pictureson his update page....I'm the one in the black & white striped shirt!HAha. Anyway, if the BYT comes to town, you should really go.. Elisabeth
Old    cwshumsky            06-30-2002, 5:45 AM Reply   
Elisabeth, try getting up riding goofy so you’ll get the feel, then switch to
regular stance (cut way out… get some slack…180). also you might try letting
go of the handle with the rear hand to straighten your form.
happy face planting, cass
Old    wakeboard4568            07-14-2002, 1:36 PM Reply   
Cass, that sounds like some pretty good advice & like it may actually help.I'll keep in touch!

ElIsAbEtH
Old    wakeboard4568            07-16-2002, 6:30 PM Reply   
HEY EVERYONE!It's 8:30 and I just got back from a day on the lake.I FINALLY got the 180!Thanks so mush for ALL your help! I'm really excited, & i'm even gonna be in the Hyperlite tournament/tour . Its advertized for even beginners!:0)