Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-09-2003, 12:26 PM Reply   
I was going to take the plunge this weekend and drill a hole to install an intake strainer for the ballast system. I was of course going to put a ball valve first to beable to shut off the intake if needed. I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with amount of pressure coming in. I got a 600psi ball valve. Also I was thinking of using pvc. Is the joints going to be strong enough?
Old    jmccallum            05-09-2003, 12:38 PM Reply   
mph PSI
10 1.4
20 5.8
30 13.0
40 23.2
50 36.2
60 52.2

I think these numbers are right. Anyway, 600 psi will more than cover it!!!
Old    jmccallum            05-09-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Ops...

Should have said use bronze valve with bronze intake. You should have strong fiitings on your hull incase you have to shut it to prevent a flood.

Once you're past the first valve go ahead and use PVC valves
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-09-2003, 3:14 PM Reply   
I ran 1" PVC up under the gunnel to the back tanks and sacks and the pressure has blown a couple joints when driving over 30 mph. Granted i am no plummer and probably used the wrong glue or something. Now i just only open the valve about 3/4 when traveling over 30mph. The flex lines up to the valve I used 10 feet of 1.5 " spa hose and that has held up fine for 300 plus hours.
The first ball valve is mounted directly to the intake strainer, and i close it before i pull the boat out so the pump will hold the prime. I dont like the PVC valves because they take a lot of leverage to turn.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-10-2003, 10:08 AM Reply   
Well the hole is drilled. And I am ready to start plumbing. I am thinking I am going to use metal pipe up to the pump then flexible radiator hose from there. Anybody else have a better idea. The spa hose if a good idea Troy I am going to check that out.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-11-2003, 9:28 AM Reply   
Will a intake strainer creat enough pressure and flow to sill sacks without the need for a pump then? I realise that I would need to drive along at 20-30 to fill them but it would be easier than messing around with a pump.
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       05-12-2003, 7:32 AM Reply   
I don't know Jay, I will am going to hit the water this week with my new install. I will try to get a feel for how much pressure there is. I don't think there would be enough. You would have to get a ball valve to shut when you get the water in. I don't know if there would be enough pressure to open a check valve. If you going to go thru the work of putting in a strainer, throw in a pump too.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       05-12-2003, 7:41 AM Reply   
With a scooper-type thru-hull fitting, the water pressure will fill the sacks without a pump. I have the hippo system with the electronic solenoid valves and the water pressure will force past the valves at speeds above 25-30 and slowly fill the sacks without the pump on. If you use the scooper intake, you definately want a valve at the hull.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-12-2003, 7:59 AM Reply   
My scupper intake strainer fills at speed as fast as with the pump on.
Old    k2_mn            05-12-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
Where do you get the scupper intake from?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-12-2003, 9:34 AM Reply   
Craig - marinehardware.com has the best selection i've seen.

James - interesting numbers, much higher than i would've expected. are those empirical or theoretic pressures?
Old    jmccallum            05-12-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
That's static pressure (I hope...lol).

Obviously, the scoop wouldn't be as bad as a static tube. The only point I was trying to make was that 600 psi plumbing should be fine unless you are running a boat like this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1568630.stm

reference for non-engineering people
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question597.htm

The following site has similar numbers (mine were based on metric water...lol)
http://www.tflx.com/pdf/marspd~1.pdf

Oh right, the question you asked.... theoretical!
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-13-2003, 4:07 AM Reply   
Well I was going to tee into the raw water intake to run to a pump to fill my fat seat and fat sac but I might just fit a scoop intake and give that a try as its a 5 min run at 25-30 mph to our ski zone anyway so that should force enough water in with out the need for a pump and then it will drain nice and easy when on the trailer.