Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-22-2011, 8:03 AM Reply   
Well I snapped my 142 severance on Wednesday night so I need to find a new board. I have some a stiff Watson, Marius and Militant I'm going to ride in the downtime, but my knees aren't what they once were and I can't really take more than a week of riding on a stiff board.

I'm looking for a super soft landing board 3 stage, 141-142, preferably with virgin 24"-25" mounting holes. I don't mind if it has hit some sliders as long as it is only superficially damaged. I've got about $150 to toss at this right now, so let me know what you've got or if you have any more ideas on what boards I can be scouring eBay for.

I'm thinking right now these are the boards that work for me
SS Recoil/Reflex
Company Severance
CWB Vibe

Who else makes modern boards?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-22-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
Man Check out the O'brien Paradigm that thing is so much fun!
Old     (ztFLA4life)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-22-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
I've got a 143 Watson Hybrid for sale in the classifieds..its got a great flex and has insanely soft landings.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-22-2011, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztFLA4life View Post
I've got a 143 Watson Hybrid for sale in the classifieds..its got a great flex and has insanely soft landings.
No price listed?
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-22-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
I also snapped my 142 company severence this year. then I bought a 142 slingshot recoil. pretty much the same board, but stiffer and better off the wake. buy it
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-22-2011, 10:59 AM Reply   
Andy- That paradigm looks sweet. Have you got any way to hook up a blem'd or used board, my wallet wasn't expecting my board to break last night and I don't have 4 bills to drop on a board just yet. Also, what size have guys been liking that in, I'm usually 140-142 and I see I'd have to go with 139 or 144.

Zack- I sent you a message on that board today. I was wondering the size, and you just answered my question. If you can pm me a price that would be sweet

Andrew- Recoil would def be my first choice, I just have to find one!
Old     (airbeast)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-22-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
I also, broke my Recoil last fall. Before that, I had problems with inserts coming loose.

Am I the only one that finds regular boards to land softer when you land anything bigger than wake to wake?

The reason I got it was because of the supposedly soft landings. I ended up really cutting back on my jumps into the flats with the Recoil. An overshot double up landing was pretty much unlandable for me on the Recoil. Now that I'm on a One, I'm back to jumping wherever I please.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-22-2011, 8:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbeast View Post
Am I the only one that finds regular boards to land softer when you land anything bigger than wake to wake?
I've heard that normal boards can actually land softer than flex boards because of their bottom features (spines, etc.). Flex boards are smooth as a baby's ass, so there's nothing to break your fall. At least that's what some say. I've never ridden a flex board.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-22-2011, 9:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
I've heard that normal boards can actually land softer than flex boards because of their bottom features (spines, etc.). Flex boards are smooth as a baby's ass, so there's nothing to break your fall. At least that's what some say. I've never ridden a flex board.
don't want to buy a Ronix either then, most of their boards are featureless on the belly. Ronix and some others have a theory that spines and other bottom features create "drag" and thus a harsher landing on impact. a smooth belly allows the rider to carry momentum on landing and not stop. with this theory, featureless flex-boards would make more sense IMO. Now there are "hybrid flex boards too" so you can get your spine AND your flex on.

i just get a kick out of all the different opinions out there for "soft landings" when it comes to brand beliefs about "soft landings" you couldn't find two companies who differ more than Ronix (mostly all smooth) vs. CWB (mostly all spines). as always it pays to Demo i guess. too bad it can be so hard to do so sometimes.

whatever one believes, there is now an option for all. flex with and without features. stiff with and without features.

ME: i personally rank the individual theories as thus
Flex: Softest
Spines and concaves: Soft
Flat: average or OK

id love to try flex with bottom features, but have not yet.

Last edited by wakerider111; 07-22-2011 at 9:49 PM.
Old     (ztFLA4life)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-23-2011, 5:23 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by yager97 View Post
I also snapped my 142 company severence this year. then I bought a 142 slingshot recoil. pretty much the same board, but stiffer and better off the wake. buy it
I dont have a set price yet i'm just taking offers for the moment. I dont mean for that to come off as stingy or anything i just truely can't decide how much i should sell the set up for.
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-23-2011, 7:25 PM Reply   
I have a Slingshot Response 142 that I bought last August, in near new shape.
I now ride the Slingshot Kine, so have the Response for sale on Craigslist for 180.
PM me if you are interested, I am near Detroit

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/spo/2508856831.html
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-23-2011, 8:21 PM Reply   
HebrewHammer,
I have a Watson, and have ridden 2 slingshots. After an ACL repair I wanted the softest landing board. Despite what you have "heard", they are both soft landing, but the Slingshot is softer

Last edited by wakeworld; 07-25-2011 at 2:44 PM.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-24-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
You could also check out Humanoid. I have the Oracle and love it. I'm coming off of a Severace too. I'm waiting on my Plank to see how it performs.
Old     (chicksdigflips)      Join Date: Jul 2011       07-28-2011, 9:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lives2wake View Post
You could also check out Humanoid. I have the Oracle and love it. I'm coming off of a Severace too. I'm waiting on my Plank to see how it performs.

SELLING A NEW ONE
http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-Humanoid-Or...#ht_500wt_1191
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-31-2011, 4:08 PM Reply   
We have a lot of riders out at the Cable riding the 2011 Vibe, really nice board that is very stong and durable.
Old     (railrider)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-28-2012, 7:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicksdigflips View Post

hows the plank bro??is it soft on landings? how about surface tricks?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-29-2012, 2:59 AM Reply   
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-29-2012, 10:13 AM Reply   
I guess it is difference in riding styles, but I'm with Matt T on the softness of landings. I have never ridden a board that lands as hard as the Recoil. I have a 2011 Byerly Blunt and it has really soft landings for me.
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       06-30-2012, 1:15 PM Reply   
Scroll down on thread page and find the one that's O'Brien Paradigm vs Format or something. Some guys posted websites with both this and last years 139 for insanely good prices. The paradigm is definitely the best flex board I've ever ridden and you wouldn't be disappointed!
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-01-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
I started riding the CWB Vibe this year and love it!!! It ride very well wake to wake, very durable on the sliders and lands extremely soft. I'm 45 and soft landings are a must! The board is so much fun!