Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-28-2003, 5:35 PM Reply   
I am installing a 1000 lb fluid concepts autofill system in my ski locker and adding the wedge to my 97 sunsetter lx. I currently run two 50 lb sacks next to the engine but hate the hastle of filling/draining/loss of space. Do you think the new set up will have as good or (hopefully better) wake than just the two. never ridden with a wedge does it really make a diff??
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-29-2003, 6:23 AM Reply   
I believe you meant 500 lb sacks... I think you are going to be happy. The Wedge really makes the wake much harder and a little steeper and a little bigger, overall all good things. If you have been running just weight on the sides of the engine compartment then you were probably getting a decent wake, it was probably really rampy and smooth. The weight and wedge will be a good improvement.

I am not familiar with the fluid conceps system, but I would like to suggest that I don't think you are going to fit 1000 lbs of water in your ski locker alone. The factory MLS system in all of the Malibus are only 400 lbs in the ski locker and they are using a bag that is capable of 600 lbs. The problem is the space you have, not enought to let the bag expand fully. You will like the autofill system because you will not have to do any work, but I would question the reality of getting 1000 lbs in your ski locker. Consider having them put two extra bags up under the front seats, that should give you an additional few hundred pounds. Or add some lead bars under seats around the boat. Remember this, the wedge will pull the back of the boat down, so you want to add more weight to the front of the boat. If you were to add all of your weight to the back of the boat you would cancel the effect of the wedge because it would not have much of and angle any more, so add more weight to the front and you will get the enitre boat to sit lower in the water while driving and the overall best wake. Hope this helps...
Old     (jro)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-29-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
I have a 97 Sunsetter and totally agree with Tony. I have around 1000 lbs up front (400 in the locker and 6-700 on in the walkway). It gives a nice claen wake. Not the biggest in the world but solid. I found that if you balance your weight and keep an extra 500 lbs up front, that seems to work best. For example, put 500lbs in the locker then any weight you add to the fron, add to the back too. This keeps the angle of attack on the wedge at an appropriate level. Good luck
Old    jumbojoe            04-29-2003, 8:13 AM Reply   
DJ-Big Fish

yes, it makes a big difference...maybe you should take a ride with ruddy....he'll show you the difference.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-29-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
He is the one installing it all. need to check on the 1000 lb deal though. also what do you mean put sacks under the front seats?? you mean in the floor? or just sacks in the storages areas?

(Message edited by tomfish on April 29, 2003)
Old     (aneal000)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-30-2003, 6:38 AM Reply   
I can't remember what is under the front seats on the Sunsetter LX, but on the VLX it is just storage, you should be able to plum in a bag on each side and give you additional weight with out having bags in the floor, or the hassel of filling/draining them. FlyHigh makes a great bag, the side sacks, they are designed to go on the sides of the motor on a DD, but they fit really nicely under my front seats.