Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 28, 2006

Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-27-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
I need to know what i should be looking for when buying an old ski boat. I was told by someone that the stringers were something to look at and make sure they were good. Problem is i don't know what to look for, should i see a rotted out board and that means they're bad or is it complicated. Also what year did they start puting fiberglass in instead of wood. Were looking at 80's-early 90's mastercraft and supra. I just want to somewhat insure that i don't have to make a repair over $1000 to a boat a buy right off the bat.
Old     (crowmobe)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-27-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
If anything the if the body looks somewhat decent..the only other repairs youll probably have to make are usually hosing , carb , elecrtrical ( minor problems...mine runs great except for the ocassional tuneup and its an older supra comp..
Old    d_fresh            01-28-2006, 4:15 AM Reply   
The majority of older ski boats are comprised of wood. If not sealed right, water will be absorbed and lead to rot. The things you are conserned with are the floor boards and stringers. Walk through out the boat and see it there are any soft or spongee spots. If so, then chances are the floor needs to be replaced. A common check for stringers, is to take a wrench and tighten the bolts that attach the engine to the stringers. If they spin freely (will not tighten) then the stringers are bad.

Hey, I just looked at your profile to see where you live. Where is the boat located you are considering buying? I live out in Walled Lake, not to far.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-28-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
Hey Jon, not to be a dick, but didn't you have the exact same questions in the exact same post in the exact same forum yesterday?

Maybe just try to refresh your last post, avoid some of the clutter around here