Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    r_dub            05-28-2004, 12:46 PM Reply   
Im curious about something. How many of you have actually taken lessons when learning, or later down the road when trying more advanced tricks? Ive been riding for a super long time, like "skurfer days" and directional boards, long time. And to be honest, my riding has kind of plateaud in the last few years. I would like to blame it on lack of nice boat with wake/tower, or even just not having more people to ride with to push me and learn from. But I cant help but think it's my technique and bad habits I have formed over the years.
So Im just curious about how many self taught riders there are out there.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-28-2004, 12:58 PM Reply   
I've recieved some minor pointers to correct my edging on a riders night but other than that no lessons as of yet. Although i'm in a similar situation to you and thinking of hitting up a camp for a few days or just doing a few lesson sessions to see what I can do about it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-28-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
I learned the fundamentals on my own. I was stuck after 180's and basic grabs. I went to camp to learn to spin and flip. I don't think camp is neceassary if you know good riders that can push you and coach you. For the first few years I rode with guys that were at the same level as I, so I didn't have any instruction and little inspiration. I push myself a lot more now that I ride with better riders. It helps.
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       05-28-2004, 3:41 PM Reply   
yea i tought my self( well i saw how they got up on TV and went from there) but u can also just ask someone hey might say hahah what a but its not like your ever going to see them again have fun
Alex
Old    upupnaway            05-29-2004, 6:28 AM Reply   
I am self taught, going into my second summer. I honestly beleive that I would have progressed much faster if I had had some instruction.
I had to spend the first month of this year learning the correct edging procedure. I spent last year cutting in wrong, and was minorly successful, so I stuck with what worked. After watching some really good riders last week, I tried to emulate them, and it helped me alot.
I think instruction would help me immensely.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       05-29-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   
Once you're at a level where you're trying some 180's, getting good pop and such, it would be extremely helpful to get some instruction. It took me 3 years to get 2 inverts to the point I could land them 50% of the time. One week with Dave Briscoe and I added a crow and raley. The next year with Dave I learned 5 more in 5 days. After that, it is just riding with people who are good. You push eachother a great day. Having access to an X-Star 24/7 all summer and Derek Grasman about 2 miles away didn't hurt either! He's a great kid, great family. I thank them a lot and look for that kid to make some waves in the coming years.
Old    xxplosive            05-29-2004, 1:40 PM Reply   
I'm about in your same boat...been riding for a while without access to a wakeboard boat, so my progression kinda stopped with 180s and grabs. Pretty much all self taught with my friends, had a few lessons here and there though. I just wish I had a good boat to practise on. Ski Natique just doesn't cut it.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-01-2004, 9:35 PM Reply   
Im self taught so far. Tricks I can do on the same day are tantrums, backrolls, 360s, grabbed 180s, and tweaked stalefish to flats. I get consistently 6ft air on a ski boat. My wake jumps are very controlled. I am currently working on scarecrows and raleys and am very close. I would like to get instruction by pros or semi-pros so that I could improve quicker. But I think dedication and practice will get you high places. I dont think you can become pro without having help from better riders and wakeboard coaches.