Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-06-2008, 5:59 AM Reply   
I was trying to drain all the water out of my engine. I have a 310 Predator engine in my 02 X-star. I drained the block through the drains on both side, and disconnected the quick connect of the manifold hoses. What about the transmission? There is an in and out line going to the top of my transmission from the main raw water intake. I'm assuming this is how the transmission gets water cooled? Is there a drain on the transmission somewhere to get the water out? Is there water trapped in my transmission that I have to worry about freezing up? Last year I ran antifreeze through my engine. I wasn't going to do it this year because neither of the local marinas run antifreeze through the engines here in Wisconsin. They both say it isn't necessary. It seems like the forums aren't in agreement either.
Old     (cla10beck)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-06-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
You don't need to do anything. The lines you see have transmission fluid flowing to/from the transmission cooler where it meets the raw water and cool the tranny fluid.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-06-2008, 7:56 AM Reply   
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-06-2008, 8:49 AM Reply   
You need to drain the water from the v-drive, and the oil cooler. There are 2 drain plugs on a Walters V-drive and you have to remove the hose from the oil cooler.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-06-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
George,
Hmmmmm....I'm confused now. Are you sure this applies to my boat/engine/tranny?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-06-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
Find your V drive unit (yes you have one) and look for the drain lugs.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-08-2008, 10:20 AM Reply   
I searched for a V-drive. couldn't find it. Probably because I guess I don't have one. I got this reply from Team Talk:
"The common thinking on current V-drives is that they still use an inline transmission connected to a v-drive unit (usually a Walther's V-drive). They don't...or at least your boat doesn't. You have a Hurth ZF-63IV 1.5:1 reduction V-drive transmission, and that's all you have, all one unit. "
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-08-2008, 10:39 AM Reply   
If it's an inboard, it has a transmission, if it's a V-drive inboard, it will have a V-drive unit in addition to the trans.

The 2 most common configurations seem to be the Borg-Warner transmission and a Walter V-drive or the ZF trans and V-drive unit together. The later still has trans fluid and a cooler for the trans portion and a v-drive portion, to change the direction of the propshaft, with it's own oil and a cooler that will need to be drained.
B/W trans (gray) and Walter V-drive (blue)
Upload
ZF unit
Upload
Old     (phunnel)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
if the water drain plugs won't come off is it safe to pop the hoses off and put some antifreeze in?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-09-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
I have the Walther in my Vride. When we bought the boat the dealer showed me how to winterize it a year ago.... he told me just pull the hoses off & blow compressed air thru them. Worked last year. But if there are drain plugs I should be pulling, I'd like to know about them.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-09-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
Jason, Bill,

I dont pull the drain plugs on my Walter D-drive because the trans cooler lays low enough in the bilge that I just pull the hose off, the trans cooler, and the water drains from the impeller housing and V-drive.

Facing the v-drive from the cabin there is a plug on the right side (see arrow) and on the left back side (see arrow)The 2 main reasons I dont pull the plugs is cause the are a bi-atch to get to through the access hole in the seat box, and we ride year round.
Upload
Old     (phunnel)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-09-2008, 10:51 AM Reply   
thanks mike...i popped off the hose to the tranny cooler (i believe that's the one on the drivers side connected to a black tube looking thing) and popped off the hoses to the impeller housing and squeezed them to push any water out. My only concern was that i wasn't sure how much or how the water circulated in the vdrive and if water went down below the two hoses that connect to the sides of the v-drive (larger black ones that run to the back) and if i should put antifreeze into the unit if that was the case.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
TigeMike
In the second photo above, it looks like the water is brought to the transmission for cooling by the looks of the size of that hose on the left. My transmission does not look like that. It has two much smaller lines coming right out of the top of the transmission, just to the right and forward of the fill/drain in the second photo above. They take the fluid from the transmission/v-drive to the back of the engine compartment to the transmission fluid cooler. I don't see any water lines coming from the back of the engine up to the transmission.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-09-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
"In the second photo above, it looks like the water is brought to the transmission for cooling by the looks of the size of that hose on the left. My transmission does not look like that. It has two much smaller lines coming right out of the top of the transmission, just to the right and forward of the fill/drain in the second photo above. They take the fluid from the transmission/v-drive to the back of the engine compartment to the transmission fluid cooler. I don't see any water lines coming from the back of the engine up to the transmission."

chasin,

The 2 small lines you see are the trans fluid lines running from the trans to the cooler, and then back to the trans. The cooler is an inline water-cooled coil that is probably in the raw water intake hose somewhere between the V-drive and the engine. On the pic above, the large hose on the right of the V-drive is the inlet, and the large hose on the left of the v-drive is the outlet going to the engine. I may have a pic of my trans cooler, let me look.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-09-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
OK, not the biggest pic, but this what the cooler looks like and location for my Borg Warner Transmission.
Upload

Jason, if you held up that hose and poured some antifreeze down it, it will fill up the V-drive and overflow out the scoop, that would be fine if you wanted to do this.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-09-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Good stuff, Mike. Thanks.
Since we ride a lot in the off-season, I'll be doing the same & just pulling the hoses.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2008, 4:33 PM Reply   
Tigemike,
This thread and site is great. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I seem to be piecing things together. I just finished inspecting my v-drive transmission and from info here and other sites, this is how "I think" it works. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Water comes in from through hull to the raw water pump. Outlet hose from the pump runs up to the top of the engine. In between the raw water pump and where this hose enters the top of the engine at the thermostat, there is an inline transmission cooler. there are two small lines that run from the transmission cooler to the top of my transmission. These are filled with tranny fluid and are cooled at the cooler by the water and sent back to the transmission. At the top of the engine water enters the block when the thermostat opens. Water also runs into both left and right exhaust manifolds there. I think then runs out the exhaust. I'm going to try and throw some photos up here too with some other questions. I'm not sure you are implying this, but I think you are saying I still have to drain water from my V-drive? There are no additional water lines running to my v-drive transmission. I'm 99% sure of that. I just got in from triple checking that. From what I understand, my transmission and v-drive are one unit. If that's the case, I'm assuming they must share the same fluid which is cooled by the transmission cooler. No extra lines running to the tranny for the V-drive.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2008, 4:42 PM Reply   
In this photo: red marks line coming from thru hull to the raw water pump which is marked in blue. Green is water line leaving pump heading to the transmission cooler which I marked with yellow. The purple is the transmission cooler line coming from the transmission to the cooler. There is a line leaving the cooler just below that isn't visible in this picture. From the cooler, the water line heads to the thermostat (next picture coming). There's also a water line that runs to my cold water shower you can see. That line is blue....

Upload
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-09-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
chasin,

For the most part, sounds like you are getting a handle on it. Pics would be great, because I'm pretty sure your V-drive portion of the drivetrain will have some sort of cooling and I would hate for it to get left with water and freeze.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
on to photo two. green on the left is water line coming to thermostat. I'm guessing if the thermostat isn't warm enough to open, the water flows to the red hoses which lead to the exhaust manifolds on each side. The brown marks a hose that goes down and into the engine. I'm not sure what that's all about? When the engine gets hot enough, the thermostat located inside the purple opens and lets that water into the engine block? Is the sensor I have marked in blue the sensor for engine temp? I was thinking of removing that and pouring a little antifreeze down there?

Upload
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
photo 3...the red marks where the tranny fluid leaves and enters on its way to and from the cooler. Green is my tranny filter. There are a couple water lines in this photo. Blue being ballast, and yellow being the quick connect for draining the exhaust manifolds.

Upload
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
picture four is just another transmission photo from another angle. Hard to get a decent photo of that thing. Red is the in and out lines again and the big blue one is my ballast intake line.
Upload

I know this thread probably seems pretty anal, but I just want to make sure I understand how this works. Thanks for any words of wisdom or advice.