Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    wegotbikes            02-19-2004, 3:51 PM Reply   
Will the fat seat or straightline fat sofa work as a back seat as they advertise? Let me know your experience with them. I want to add weight but I have lots of passengers as well and need the extra room without sacs all over the floor. Or is it possible to set up some kind of ballast system under the floor of my 1995 MC Prostar 205?
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-19-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
Get a bunch lead plates and/or small canvas duffel bags filled with used bullets from a shooting range. Stick all this in your ski locker and under you existing seats. It saves lots of room.
Old    xtremebordgurl            02-19-2004, 5:11 PM Reply   
Matt about how many pounds can you get from that? Will most shooting ranges let you pick up all the dead weight? Or will they charge you?
Old    banks            02-19-2004, 6:33 PM Reply   
yeah you can sit on it i have a launch lounge in the bow of my boat and it is awesome
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-19-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
Both work as advertised. I have new one in the box for $130 plus shipping. Be very cautious about dead weight. If your boat swamps, the dead weight will take it to the bottom while the water filled weight will be neutrally bouyant. A couple hundred pounds for trim is fine, more than that you are taking a risk you should consider.

I do suggest that you put a towel down before you sit on it. It is more comfortable.

The Fat Seat has an 1,100 lbs capacity. You may need a 250 lbs bag for the bow to get the wake exactly the way you want it. Personal preference, of course.

rider@boarditup.com
Old    wegotbikes            02-19-2004, 7:49 PM Reply   
thanks for the advise everyone. I actually have about 1000lbs of lead in there right now becuase it doesn't take up space. I was thinking of putting the lead in the ski locker and the fat seat in the back. Karl, do you have the fat seat of fat sofa by straightline? The sofa looks a little smaller and would take less room than the seat due to those extensions the seat has.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-20-2004, 2:49 AM Reply   
I have the launch pad sat sofa and its great for sitting on. I only half fill it with water if there will be people sitting on it though as when its full and has 3 people on it the back of the boat is too low in the water.
Get a cheap air pump and you can half fill it to tune the weight.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-20-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
Whats up? I would go both lead and fat sac. Just remember no boat is the same when weighting it, you will have to play with the location of the sacs and lead to make the wake the way "YOU" want it. Make sure if you put a sac in the back that you put one in the front also. And if the wake isnt how you like then try two sacs, one on each side of the engine compartment.

(Message edited by ridn9high on February 20, 2004)

(Message edited by ridn9high on February 20, 2004)
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-20-2004, 11:23 AM Reply   
I have the BI fat sack. It is similar to the SL product, but a little different. My personal preference was for the BI products - I know Mike and have seen the production - it is good stuff.

Let me know if you want it.

Remember one safety point. Water is neutral weight when your boat is swamped. Lead goes straight to the bottom. Most boats can support about 500 lbs of gear without sinking. 1,000 lbs may be too much. Once the water is filled, use only as much lead as necessary to shape the wake.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-20-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
Bess- With lead, you can fit more weight than you'll ever need. Some ranges charge and others do not. It depends where you go.
Old    upupnaway            02-20-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
I picked up bags of lead shot at the local gun shop, made some bricks and rubber coated them for tuning my wake. The fat seat, (or equivalent) is an awesome product. All the weight you need, and then it drains easily for safe hauling. The way they fill up the back of the boat makes a great backwards-facing seat, you just lean against the dog-house.
Old    alanp            02-20-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
metal recycling will offer lead for about 50 bucks per 500 lbs. in small bricks