Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cmcgee82)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-04-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
I am in the market for a true wake boat and torn between the enzo 230 and wakesetter 23lsv!! let me here your stories on both. My wife and i mostly Wake board and feel we can have a bunch of fun wakesurfing. I am wanting to master the surf!! thanks in advance!!
Old     (svsouthernstar)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-04-2009, 10:57 AM Reply   
I tend to like the C4 Storm really
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-04-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
enzo.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-04-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
No brainer, but a lsv can throw a great wave. The guys over at wakeworld surf behind a lsv and the wave looks great. But I guess it's not as firm as the enzo wave. Test both out! Both will need to have custom sacs put in to really get the wave built.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-04-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
+2 on the enzo If you want a surf boat, i would go with the enzo. That being said, i'm told you can wakeboard behind an enzo with no problems, but i've only surfed behind them so no comment there. The bu would be a nice choice as well and may be a better choice for you if you enjoy wakeboarding more than surfing. Great wakeboard wake and can put out a good surf wake, usually with extra ballast
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-04-2009, 1:48 PM Reply   
Neither
Old     (answerman)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-04-2009, 1:58 PM Reply   
Depends on if you want to surf both sides. The Enzo is a one sided boat IMO. Check out some of the other threads regarding a goofy wake on an Enzo.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-04-2009, 2:56 PM Reply   
You can get a great goofy wave out of an enzo, it just takes a little more work. There are a few boats that throw great waves. Each boat needs extra water ballast and or lead to generate a great wave. Test drive, test drive!

Sanger V215
Sanger V230
Sanger V237

Centurion Enzo 230-240
Centurion Avalanche or Typhoon

Tige 22-24v

Malibu 23 LSV

Supreme V226

I know Nautique has a boat that can make a great wave but I can't remmeber the model.

I'm sure I am forgetting one
Old     (answerman)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-04-2009, 3:10 PM Reply   
Duffy
Can you show me an example of a great goofy wake from a regular Enzo and how it was weighted?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-04-2009, 3:30 PM Reply   
Here is a great thread about it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/559019/633377.html?1232303560

Hope this helps.
Old     (answerman)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-04-2009, 3:46 PM Reply   
Seems as though the thread you posted showed a lot who cannot get a good wake let alone a great wake from their Enzo. The one who made a good wake needed at least twice as much weight in their boat to get that wake. It pails in comparison to the regular side wake with half the weight. The thread seems to support my contention that the goofy wake sucks on regular rotation Enzo's.
Old     (enzostyle)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-04-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
It seems to me there is a lot of people out there who don't know how to use an Enzo. I get a get plenty of wake out of my goofy side. Not quite as much push as the port side but better than any other starboard wake I have ever seen.

I have my Enzo sac set up on quick connecters and just swap sides with the side sac I have on the starboard side. It does not fill all of the way up on the starboard side so I use ONE extra side sac under the driver seat to make up for it. I also have the switchblade. I never run more ballast than that even if there are only 2 of us riding.

The only problem I have is that I can get a sweet wake on the port side all the way down to 10ft. depth, but to get a sweet starboard wake I must be in 15-20ft of water min. Which means going to a different lake than my home turf.

Don't overload an Enzo, the results are poor!

I have 520 hours on my 06 as of today and it just keeps on getting better.

I forgot to add that the wake is awsome for wakeboarding with the blade, without it doesn't have enough peak in the lip for me, too rampy. The boat is wide so I took 5ft off my line so I don't case the wake on my weaker toe side.

(Message edited by enzostyle on September 04, 2009)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-04-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
This is just my opinion, but I would think a TRUE wakesurf boat would be a boat that can put out a GREAT wakesurf wake with little effort, and equally as good on both sides of the boat.

I go out wakesurfing 3x a week with my family and many other people especially this season. We are always doing a meet up, or hosting someone, or demoing boards, whatever. We surf with ONE boat and setup identical on either side and the weight is almost identical on either side. Now I know a lot of you would look at the videos and the pictures we produce and say, "My wake from my enzo is WAY better". But keep in mind a few things. I am not SACKING my boat out. If I put over 2k of weight in my boat, I can get a much bigger wake, and my wake is SUPER clean. The cleanness comes from a combination of the hull on my boat, and the all aluminum surf deck that produces ZERO turbulence.

http://youtube.com/wake9tv

Many videos to watch. All of the ones with Sean on Reg, and then RJ on goofy, its the same wake. We have 2 almost identical Custom Sacs that each hold about 1100 lbs or so of water. They are fully automated with 2 ballast puppies. I go from my regular side wake to my dark side wake in 15 mins or less. Dennish, Sean Cummings, frank wolter, gunz, have all seen me flip the switch and go from one side to the other while we swim for a few minutes, and then ride. For me, that is a beautiful thing, because every time I am out, I am with AT LEAST 7 riders that want to enjoy either side of the wake.

My boat is the 2007 Tige 24Ve and I can't wait to get my hands on a 2010 Tige with the new ballast system. They have tanks in the hull, plus I can add my custom sacs and have the same flexibility but now with 1500-1700 lbs of automated water on each side. It will come stock, very similar to the way my boat is setup right now. I know I will probably get some flames about this, but IMHO a true surf boat must be able to put out a GREAT wake on both sides. Not a GREAT wake on one side, and a GOOD wake on the other.

Three things to add. First, the enzo wake is fantastic on one side, so my point is NOT to disrespect the enzo wake. I just don't want to have 2 boats to get that on either side. The enzo seems to be a high class and quality boat that would make any boater happy as long as he goes in with the knowledge that one side is just not going to be as good. Second thing to add, is that I did modify my boat from the factory to achieve our wake, but only the swim deck. Other than that, it is a factory Tige. Third, I am sure there are other boats out there that can do the same thing, I am not saying mine is the only one.

OK, flames start here.
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-05-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
I am not saying that the Tige 24Ve does not have a great wake and set up easily. However, the Enzo is very easy to set up on both sides and the wake is massive and powerful. I also find it takes a lot less weight than most boats.

In addition, my 08 Avy has a great wake and is very easy to set up as well. I find it is as big and powerful as most boats 2ft longer.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-05-2009, 8:13 AM Reply   
goofy wake on an Enzo 230 that is very clean. Still big, but my guess is that it is not even fully sac'd out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6oGSzRlyzM
Old     (nwrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-05-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
i run a 24 enzo 07 we ride both reg and goofy, and i can transfer from wave to wave, yes the reg wave is cleaner, but just switching the sideswipe, it is surfable. we run both rear tanks full, and one 400lbs each side of the back of the boat. and just switch the sideswipe. if a dedicated goofy rider, we drain the internal tanks port side and the ride is fine.Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2009, 5:40 PM Reply   
What kind of trim tab?
Old     (nwrider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-06-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
on the enzo none, switch blade set at 2-4 with all that weight. goofy foot just ballast no switch blade.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       09-06-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
jkw
That is a very impressive goofy wake on that video. Is that a regular rotation Enzo. If so how is it weighted and what speed are they running. I know a few people that would love to have that wake
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-06-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
See now, the descriptions of these setups are really not complete.

If I were buying a new Enzo I wouldn't buy one without a Switch Blade or without a Bennett Trim Tab. These results cannot be achieved with a manual trim tab. If I'm wrong then someone can visit me and show me how to use my Enzo. I have given up on the goofy wake.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-06-2009, 5:16 PM Reply   
Just go with a Tige 22Ve, With a 1000 lb's on either side it will produce an absolute perfect wake, and the goofy side is actually better then the reg. 24Ve is the same, just needs about 300-400 more lb's
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-06-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
Dennis - I pulled that off of Centurion Crew web site. I dont know the set up. But if you ever want a set up for any Centurion, there is generally someone there more than happy to help.

I agree with Show, if you dont have the Switchblade you will need the Bennett Trim tab. The guys I know that ride goofy (and no switchblade) on an Enzo ride with the Bennet Trim tab all the way down to clean the wake up.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-07-2009, 3:15 AM Reply   
@nwrider

That first picture of the goofy wake, not sure why that would be posted as a good example, There is a huge rooster destroying the wake.

@jkw

I agree with Dennis, that looks like a nice goofy wake, but I would guess that is a right surf boat? I haven't seen a clean goofy wake like that on an enzo that wasn't right surf. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist of course.

@tigemike

I don't think perfect is the correct word, and "perfect" is so subjective.
Old    surfdad            09-07-2009, 5:28 AM Reply   
From the thread where jkw pulled the video:

http://www.centurioncrew.com/Enzo-Wake-t1475.html

Tab is at zero and i ordered the boat with reverse rotation which makes it struggle on the regular setup but havent had enough riders to try to fine tune it on port side
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-07-2009, 6:03 AM Reply   
Robert,

My post was kinda a tongue'n cheek post as Tige was not listed in the OP, but someone who constantly boasts having the "Perfect" surf wake from one , brought Tige into the mix. Not to mention, every time a thread about wake pops up, someone always claims thier boat has the best wake and it's perfect. Most people know that wakes are subjective to ones own opinion. Besides, is wouldn't be WW without someone claiming theirs is better

On a serious note, Tiges do produce a killer wake......big faces, lots of push, and long pockets, and they seem to do it with less weight then other brands. The port side is always nice and clean and the dark side is a little better. This is not an opinion, but an observation.

(Message edited by chpthril on September 07, 2009)
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-07-2009, 6:21 AM Reply   
Sorry, I did not notice the Enzo was a surf right (reverse rotation).
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-07-2009, 9:47 AM Reply   
I agree Tiges are great boats, we surf a 2004 22V all the time. The wave isn't as nice as my avy, but still awesome compared to 90% of the boats around. We run 1100-1300 in whatever side we surf on the 22v.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-07-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
I def don't want to give the impression that I have the PERFECT wake, or even the BEST wake. I think I have made it clear in my videos that we have a very good wake on both sides with little effort and exactly what our criteria is. I DEF think I have one of the CLEANEST wakes due to the aluminum deck. I hope in my posts I have also made it clear that I am not saying we put out the best/perfect wake.

My point in this thread, is that when someone is asking help before dropping $60-70k, or whatever, that we don't just say "The enzo is the best wake ever made" but make it clear to people they will have a great wake on one side, and an arguably mediocre to good wake on the other.

In addition, IMHO, I think as wakesurfing is more popular and more manufacturers come around, there is no reason why we shouldn't expect to buy a boat that puts out a great wake on BOTH sides with the little effort. I guess I am biased that so many in my family are goofy footed. It makes it a bit personal to me. I want to go to competitions, where the goofy rider is given the exact same conditions as the regular rider. And I want to always have a boat where I can ask the rider, "What's your poison" and setup my boat accordingly within minutes. Why shouldn't we all expect that as this industry/sport grows more popular, and is more of a factor in people boat purchasing decisions?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
all personal opinions, does anyone really think they have a perfect wave? may be perfect to one but not the other. Bottom line is go out and test drive before you buy.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
I think that's part of the problem. Who can test drive a boat and weight it down properly for surfing on each side during a test run? So a forum like this where questions are asked carries a lot of weight.

I don't do demos for tige or anything, but have done several meet ups on my boat from this forum this summer, where the person primarily wanted to see how we setup our wake. I think those were valuable to those people, and I would think those would be the best ways to see if a boat would be a good surf boat to purchase.

I know when I was working on our wake, I wanted to demo a Sanger v237. I got the chance at a tullock contest with Dennis Horton. I got to watch him setup a single boat for one side, a great wake. Watched James Walker and Chase Hazen ride the wake on the regular side. Then I watched him moth the same weight over to the other side, get a great wake goofy and RJ and Kit rode on it. Now THAT was a demo. THAT inspired me to either figure out how to do that on my boat, or sell my boat and buy another. I would guess that kind of demo would be tough to get from a dealer, but hopefully someday it will be expected.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
Brad, you asked for people to give opinions on the Malibu 23LSV and Centurion SV230 and instead you have ragboy shoving his Tige down your throat, keep in mind there are a lot of opinions in this thread and others from people that have never owned either one of these boats, have never ridden in or behind one and if they have most likely it has been a run or two at a contest. Does riding behind an Enzo or LSV a couple of times give someone the ability to determine whether or not the goofy wake is good or not. Like Duffy suggested take a look at this THREAD for more information on the Enzo wake.

We have owned a 2004 Malibu 23LSV, pictures below of the goofy and regular wake. We spent several seasons in the boat and had it dialed in, getting the best wake out of it without over loading it. Pictures are not the best but, the only ones I have access to right now, let me know and I will try to dig some more up for you. The 23LSV puts out a great surf wake on both sides, compared to our current Centurion wake it is not as tall, not as long (turns out a lot quicker), is soft and does not have as much push.

Upload

Upload

We do not have a SV230 but, do currently own a SV240 and regularly ride behind a friend’s SV230, so I am speaking from experience with both. Below are pictures from the thread referenced above, have a look at the thread for the way the boat was weighted etc. The Centurion wake is by far the best I have ever ridden, it is tall, steep, with tons of drive making for a longer pocket to ride in. Another thing that I really like about the Centurion that is a big difference from the Malibu is that the Centurion wake sweet spot starts further back from the swim platform which keeps riders further back from the boat than the LSV.

Upload

Upload

Again sure is funny how whenever the Enzo is brought up owners of other boat brands are the first to jump up and say that Centurions will not make a great wake on both sides of the boat. Yet tell you to buy their boat brand because it is the best, that is, once you make a new swim platform for it, what a joke.

Like I have said in the past, I suggest that you get a crew, grab fat sacs and go and test drive the Malibu 23LSV, Centurion SV230 and any other boat you can get your hands on and then make the decision yourself. If a dealer wants to sell you a boat they should be willing to let you load them up and decide if it meets your needs before buying.

Good Luck.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2009, 10:13 AM Reply   
I am overly sensitive to it, especially recently, that I admit. But I have no desire to push my tige down anyones throat. However, it is the only boat I have to video on, so that is just a biproduct of that.

I DO however wish to feature/promote to people boats that throw a great wake on both sides with little effort. The enzo is not on that list for me, but I am willing to be proven wrong. Anyone in northern california is welcome to meet me on Lake Oroville. I have made that invite before. I have THOROUGHLY enjoyed meeting people from this forum face to face this summer. My whole family has enjoyed it. So someone bring your enzo to Lake Oroville, and I will film the whole thing, and treat you to a nice home cooked meal or BBQ, Garcia style. No Joke, I would love to do it. If not, an Avy. Whenever I mention good wakes, I always put the Avy on my list of boats that I have seen pictures and video of boats that throw a nice wake on both sides. I think I almost always mention Sanger (first hand experience), Avy (just video and photo experience) and the Tige of course.

How many more are there? I am SURE there are more. Meet me on oroville and I will mount cameras and film it. Heck, I will do a series on "Boats with great wakes on Both sides". That would be a hell of a lot of fun, and I think a productive bit of material for the wakesurfing community.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-08-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
dude we never got the BBQ treatment LOL .... i am so happy that all my family and friends all ride regular and i have no clue what my goofy wake looks like .... board robert? .... going away friday for 10 days so ill check back with you when i get back .... ALOHA!!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2009, 10:26 AM Reply   
Yes frank, I am sorry. You hit us up on a day when I didn't the whole day open. Going to have to give you a rain check on that one.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-08-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
Chris - with regards to boats to look at, I think Duffy's list is a very good place to start. The best advise people have provided in this thread is that you should test drive as many boats as possible with the boat set up to surf/wakeboard/tube (whatever you will be doing). Because there are other factors than just the wake: ride, interior size/quality, storage, etc that you will/wont like about each boat. Reality is that there are different boats for different folks.

Also, with regards to the Enzo goofy wake, I have actually seen/ridden the WO boats in person. I will agree that goofy wake is not as good as the regular wake (which is just awesome), but it is still a very nice wake.

Disclaimer - I am just a weekend warrior and will not be showing up at any tournament any time soon. So since I spend 99% of my time surfing regular, I dont really care about the goody side. I do have any 08 Avy set up with custom sacs on each side. For the money, I dont think there is a better wake - long, steep and very powerful. However, money aside, the Enzo wake does have more power in it at the back of the wake. I have never surfed Sanger/Tige, but have heard good things about them.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
I would guess its pretty easy to get the "perfect" wave if you weigh less than 175 pounds. Its those of us that are riding at 250 pounds that really need all the size, length, and push of a "perfect" wave.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-08-2009, 11:26 AM Reply   
We are considering a new boat and our main priority is wakesurfing and having all of the ballast hidden. We only ride regular so by the sounds of this thread I am going to go look at the Enzo 230 (I will not get the 240 into my garage). My only real question is: what is the bow rise like in these boats?

I was in a friends 09 21' Wakesetter last weekend and we have about 1200# in the rear for surfing and we had to stand up to see over the dash. With my Supra SSV I do not need the booster seat but my 5'6 wife does.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-08-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
Get Bryan Locke on here to talk about his Malibu goofy wave.
Old     (duckboat)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-08-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
tige 22ve 1st easy test. Does this pic show some potential? Never been in another boat to see what other wakes look like.
URL=http://img401.imageshack.us/i/24278694.png/][IMG]\newurl

(Message edited by duckboat on September 08, 2009)
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
@dreamer I am 6'2" and I have to use my bolster seat to see over bow when surfing. When my kids drive, about 5'8" or so, they put a pillow on the bolster seat. I think most boats when putting out a decent surf wake will be riding bow high. You def want to get a ride in one, so you know what to expect. We have some videos of our boat being followed by a chase boat, I think our boat, is pretty similar to others in this regard.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
John,
The Centurion Typhoon throws an amazing wave. It's the same as the avalanche but 1 foot longer. The Avalanche throws a amazing wave on both sides, the only thing is it's sensitive to weight. So you really have to make sure everyone is in the right spots.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-08-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
With regards to bow rise, I am only 5'7" so I am always sitting on bolster seat (or standing if the lake is busy). However, I also put 300lbs in the bow to lengthen the pocket and keep the nose down a little. A better prop would also help it get on plain better if the boat is having trouble getting out of the water with all of the weight.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2009, 12:12 PM Reply   
Y, well I can bring the bow down with my taps plate, it works well. But when I do it flattens the top of the wake and brings it down. The wake is best with the taps plate at 6 for me, which is almost all the way up. So bow high produces the best wake on my boat, at least for how we like to ride. I know when I had Sean and Heather on my boat, with the skim boards they seemed to like it knocked down a bit so not so steep, so bought taps to like 3-4.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-08-2009, 12:19 PM Reply   
I plan on getting into a newer v-drive and surfing will be the most important to me.
I'll be looking more for a less expensive used model. What would be the best bang for the buck for surfing? Been looking at most of the models listed and they all are around mid 30's.
Anything good for the below 30k or even 25k.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-08-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
Ragboy - I ride with my small children (4 yrs and 6 mos)a lot. So getting the bow down, even if it does flatten the wake out a little, is worth it to me. When I have my kids on the boat, safety by far is my main concern.

I dont have a taps plate like your Tige, so weight it is.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-08-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
In our SSV we have around 1200#'s in and on the ski locker and about 1300#'s in the rear corner but I can still drive the boat with the bolster down and I am only 5'10. Maybe the bow rise in my buddies Malibu was extreme. I do not want to buy a boat where I have to stand to drive.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2009, 12:35 PM Reply   
I think in our carbon monoxide safety video, I have some real good footage of us surfing from our pontoon, and you can see how the attitude of our boat is. I think its about normal, compared to other centurions and sangers I have been out with. I haven't been out with any Malibus or Supras surfing, so nothing to add about that.

I completely understand your safety concern, don't have to explain.

(Message edited by ragboy on September 08, 2009)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-08-2009, 12:51 PM Reply   
Daniel, you can get an older Sanger V215 or a Avalanche C4 in the 25k plus range. All you would need is custom sacs and you should be good to go!. I picked up my 2003 Avalanche c4 for 20k, had to put 3k in repairs in and 3k in upgrades(stereo, ballast bags, etc..), but to me the boat is almost perfect now. Where do you live?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
IMO if your going to spend 50k plus or minus a few bucks, the dealer better let you demo the surf wakes, or don't buy from them. I know any private seller would love to demo their boat. If you tell the dealer to demo or no buy, i'm sure you will get a good demo. Boat sales are down right now.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-08-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
I'm in oklahoma city.
Currently have a supra pirata that has done me fairly well so far. Just want a newer boat.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-08-2009, 5:32 PM Reply   
I have my eye on a 30ft super deep V fishing boat with single DD inboard by Baja Cruisers for $24k. It's a bit over the top but I think the wave would be sick. Twin trim tabs but 10 feet wide so gotta park it at one lake.

This is where my ethics and fishermen in their jon boats comes in. Yeh cool to surf a shoulder high wave but I don't want to get shot at the dock either.

Oh yeh I think Avy or Sanger is a great boat in your range. I don't know what the Moomba Mobius LSV does these days but they added more freeboard in 06'
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-08-2009, 6:05 PM Reply   
Dang Robert, didnt mean for you take any heat based on my post, sorry! I'm as guilty as the next guy about telling people how much I like how my boat performs.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2009, 6:25 PM Reply   
np, my skin is very thick. Literally. ;-)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-09-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
This thread got off topic Here is a link to a sweet site that searches craigslist for boats. It the best for finding deals.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpboat
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-11-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
Robert if you look at a 230 Enzo make sure to get double tanks in back and middle tank and then all you will need is a 250 sack. Surfing is 10.7 mph no tab port side 3/4 tab stb side. easy boat to set up. 240 Enzo more of a challenge but great when you get it.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-11-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
I have been looking at the 230 Enzo's and a lot of them come with the dual rear ballast. I am assuming that these tanks come out, you add another in and out pump to each side to speed up the fill and drain time for the enzo sacs. Is that correct?
Old     (dbh_brad)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-11-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
John,
I have a 23' enzo. I have been an ocean surfer for 20 years. Just getting the wake dialed in to surf. The video below is right after I installed enzo sacs on both sides. I had 2 people in the boat. Added some extra weight.

Goofy side is almost as good, but does not have the same power/push.

Good luck.

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-12-2009, 8:15 AM Reply   
Brad, do you have four pumps per enzo sac (2 fill and 2 empty)?

I have to be honest with you and say that that wake does not look impressive. It barely comes up to your knees. I thought that the enzo is supposed to put out a massive wake.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-12-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
My Avalanche wave is massive at 10.5-11, but gets much smaller once you get to 11.5-12. Also water depth is so crucial to wave size.
Old     (dbh_brad)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-12-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
I only have one fill one empty (stock ballast was one on each side). I use the Zsunami pumps to speed it up.
The only massive wake I have seen is DJ James. Most "massive" wakes appear to be due to camera angles.
Good luck with your hunt. Be sure to report back.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
Duffy I agree, what is the shallowest water you will run in to surf with your Avy? I noticed the other day surfing that when we got to close to shore the depth got to about 10 to 15 feet. Suddenly I just fell out???? i was confused, then I thought it had to be the depth. Also I dont trust my speedo.. What RPM are you running when you go 10.5 ? When were doing 10 on the speedo my tach says 2500 give or take a 100. I have the 315hp mag mpi 350. also what pitch prop do you use?
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-14-2009, 2:02 PM Reply   
Anthony, I am sure Duffy will chime in here in a minute. Duffy and I are running almost the same set up. I also have the 315 hp motor. I am currently running the 653 prop but am switching soon to the 911 prop that I believe Duffy is running. We surf at 10.5 to 10.7 mph on the stargazer PP. Its GPS so its accurate speed. Not sure what RPM that is but I will look next time out. I think it is around 3000 RPM if I remember right.

We surf all the time in a lake that is about 11.5 feet deep at the deepest point when it is full. Right now we are fighting to find 10.5 feet to surf in. We notice a huge difference when the depth drops below 10 feet in the size and push of the wave. When I do go to deeper lakes I am amazed at the bigger wave we get with less ballast. Anything deeper than about 14 feet seems to be optimal. Once you get more shallow than that you notice a difference with about every foot of depth you loose. At less than 10 feet its almost not worth it for a big guy like me that needs a good size wave with lots of push.
Old    mobster            09-14-2009, 7:17 PM Reply   
no weird angle just a straight on shot this wake is bigger in person
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
I have a 911 prop which is acme's most extreme. We surf between 10.5-12. My wave does the curl thing when I do a slight opposite turn. It's fun but not really practical. My lake is deep, some 1500 or so feet, but some of the bays are 10-15. I hate hate hate surfing in them. Hope this helps.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-15-2009, 11:59 AM Reply   
yeah we are going 12 to 14 and half.thats how that wave is breaking and we got the wave up to four feet plus yesterday.rich that was a pretty sick wave huh bra.that was the biggest wave Ive ever made.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-15-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
It was unreal yesterday.Did you get any pics of it James?
I'd be happy if I could get half that out of my boat.
Did you find your old wakeplate yet?

Katelyn said,"Thanks for the cool poster,when do we get to go again?"

LOL,the kid is hooked.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-15-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
maybe friday.
Old     (meraculus)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-15-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
Just curious, do all of you guys have a Switchblade?

Seems like the best wakes I have seen use a Switchblade.

This wake looks impressive, it could be due to the camera angle, but it's almost waist high and looks like it has plenty of push and length:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CasrAvS_ZXo

(Message edited by meraculus on September 15, 2009)
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-15-2009, 12:56 PM Reply   
James does.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2009, 1:04 PM Reply   
James, I don't think there is a prop on the planet that could push your boat 14 mph running that much weight, plus the switchblade. Unless you have a 400+ hp motor. Have you gps tested your speed? My old system before stargazer was off by more than mph! My boat can barely go twelve when I am running 2k on surf side and a few peeps.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2009, 1:07 PM Reply   
Here is a picture of my goofy wave curling. Just a slight opposite turn. Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
This picture isn't from a cool angle, just my wave without a rider.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
@meraculus
I was on the boat the day that video was shot. Its an 09 enzo with a switchblade and enzo sacs. I get a really good wave on my Avalanche but this wave had me drooling. Large, long, and tons of push even way back deep in the hole! And it was in a lake that is only 10.5 feet deep at the deepest place which makes it even more impressive. It was just as big on the dark side but not quite as clean or long but still the best I have seen. This day has left me dreaming of selling the Avy and buying a 23 foot enzo with a blade...... Need to win the lotto
Old                09-15-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
Here's a vid of the wake we get with our 24 Enzos. Around the middle of the vid there is a good side shot from the chase boat. We just have the enzo sac and the trim tab. What I like most about our wake (besides the height and length) is how "clean" it is. There is no white water on the face of the wave at all. The lip of the wake is also shaped nice for airs and there is a clean "table" section of the wake for spins. We ride faster than most so if you slow the boat down and/or add a few more people (in the vid there are just 2 small people on the port side) the wake gets pretty darn big.

Additionally, the boat is not straining at all with this wake. The rub rail is still above the water line. We are running under 3000 rpm. We use the stock prop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiaQyEfUTaA
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-15-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
Duffy ,I can go like 20 with all that weight I have a black scorpion 350 plus a special prop that is not made for a wakeboard boat thats where i get the power.The guy who desighed my boat builds racing boats and knows more than anyone I know about boats ,I had the best prop for wakesurfing and wakeboarding and I couldnt go over 12 with all that weight so we put a special prop on there.so duffy you are wrong ! there is a prop on the planet,Ive been going out for the last two years, two to three days a week all year round testing all diffirent things.and I hav nt seen anyone make a real barrel yet except my boat.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-15-2009, 2:19 PM Reply   
James, you are an amazing wakesurfer and you have an amazing wave. I wasn't trying to put you down. Sorry I came off that way.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       09-15-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
I'm curious,I think I'll bring the gps the next time we wreck the lake.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2009, 2:47 PM Reply   
Some good looking wakes. And of course the MONSTER from james.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2009, 2:50 PM Reply   
@mark Nice run mark, those conditions looked perfect. That sweet spot looks like a fun board.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-15-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
@james Tell us more about this special prop!