Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (jimmyjam)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-18-2003, 8:51 AM Reply   
Anyone out there having problems with customer service and / or quality of their Malibu's? Recently purchased '03 Wakesetter and experiencing both. Not getting any response from Malibu Customer Service and not interested in future relation with my local dealer.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-18-2003, 9:00 AM Reply   
Jim,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems. If you don't have a decent relationship with your dealer, that makes things tough. I would contact Guy Coward at the Merced plant, or Kerri at the Loudon plant. I have owned a couple of Malibu's and never had any problems with the boat or customer service. It has been my experience that Malibu has always gone above and beyond my expectations.

What kind of problems are you having? If you are having legitimate problems that aren't due to negligence or misuse, the factory will take care of you if your dealer won't. If you need any additional help, drop me a line, and I'll see if I can't get you steered in the right direction.
Old     (jro)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-18-2003, 10:04 AM Reply   
Got to malibuboatowners.com
Old     (jimmyjam)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-18-2003, 12:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Shawn. In addition to issues with my dealer related to late pay off of my trade-in, non payment for referrals, and taking about 5 months to perform warranty work...There are a few concerns about the quality. This is my second BU and the initial warranty list had numerous small items from carpet glue on fiberglass to replacing stereo head and graphics, replace the heater, relocate the shower controls (they were located inside the boat from the factory), mid ballast leaks, chips in the gelcoat, replace bad battery, engine hatch cover had to be replaced, loose dash, loose/disconnected wires, etc. Yesterday, I pulled into my driveway and one of the speaker cover grilles was laying there. (Kicker) I've called and emailed Don Woods and he hasn't really followed up. (I did talk to him last fall, but we agreed to talk again this spring)It also took my dealer six months to get me a memo title so that I could purchase a watercraft sticker, still no owner's manual. Realize that most of this stuff wasn't that big a deal since our season is April to October in in Ohio. But I usually keep the boat inside and especially in the winter. The dealer agreed to keep it warm and dry. I occasionally drove by to find it inside until about late February when the temps were in the single digits and snowing. I just don't feel I can trust him anymore. The boat was supposed to be finished back in early December.
Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-18-2003, 4:21 PM Reply   
Damn Jim! I don't think I'll be going to Sun Fun to buy a boat. Who are you dealing with up there? I've heard other people complain about them too.

Well if you're down for a while we're at Griggs all the time. So if you need a pull shoot me an e-mail.

Greg
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-18-2003, 4:30 PM Reply   
if you were only a customer of waterski america, life would be good
Old    wakerookie            04-18-2003, 8:23 PM Reply   
Jim who is your dealer? are they in Columbus? If so I know a good one a few hours south of ya.
Old    daveyboy            04-19-2003, 6:35 PM Reply   
Man, Same old story. Sunfun and malibu. I was on griggs today but didn't have a third to board!
Old    gotpwr            04-19-2003, 6:56 PM Reply   
Hey wakerookie, you ever head out to Taylorsville or do you keep your boat at Cumberland?
Old    wakerookie            04-19-2003, 8:17 PM Reply   
gotpwr, we actually just picked up the boat Monday, we'll be storing it at the house and will definately be getting it out to Taylorsville during the week. We just enjoy going to Cumberland for the weekends. I saw your profile a couple months back and figured I look for ya or get with you when the weather got warmer. It's getting warmer!
Old    gotpwr            04-19-2003, 10:07 PM Reply   
Yeah it's about that time. I'm bustin' my ass trying to get all my honey-do's around the house/yard done, because once I pull the boat out for the season, that's it for working around the house. Taylorsville is fine for during the week, but I agree with you, weekends are for heading south.
Old    chuk            04-20-2003, 11:42 AM Reply   
Jim, out of curiosity, where are you wanting to re-locate the shower controls (i.e. I'm assuming the temp control is at the back of the cockpit and the accessory switch is inside the starboard compartment beside the engine)?

If I were in your shoes, I would keep working on the relationship with the local dealer. It sure beats trying to resolve issues with a manufacturer located 1000's of miles away.
Old     (jimmyjam)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-22-2003, 6:46 AM Reply   
Greg, just read your post. I see you all the time at Griggs. Just the other day I rode my bike down and was talking to the Kish's (X-Star) and saw you wiping down the BU. We'll be out getting my brothers new Wakesetter XTI dialed in Saturday morning. I didn't really want to name names or dealers but since there is only one in Columbus, I guess its easy to figure out.
Old     (jimmyjam)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-22-2003, 7:05 AM Reply   
Adam, (waterookie)yes my dealer is in Columbus. Are you thinking about Cinci?

Dave, bummer not having a third. We all need to hook up this summer so that we don't have too many boats out and eliminate the "third" problem. Are you a member of the boat club?

Joel, I had the shower temp control relocated to just above the MLS tank in the back. It came from the factory located under the back seat above the gas tank. Made no sense to have it there. Also, if I spend two hours driving each way to a different dealer, it will still save me in the long run if I can get half way decent service and a level of trust / confidence.
Old    wakerookie            04-22-2003, 6:09 PM Reply   
Jim, Yes! I just bought my boat from No Wake, they have been great, and I've heard nothing but good things about them from other posts on MBO. I agree with the above, try and work it out with your local dealer, but if ya can't, they'd be a great alternative.
Old    wakerookie            04-22-2003, 6:13 PM Reply   
P.S. Talk to Spencer. There is also an Adam ( not me another Adam at No Wake) that does the engine work, they'll get ya back on the water in no time!
Old    daveyboy            04-23-2003, 5:02 AM Reply   
Jim,
My dad is a member and my wife and I are concidering joining. My mom lives on the river so I have a dock there. Without a need for a dock do you think the boat club is worth it?
Old     (jimmyjam)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-23-2003, 6:32 AM Reply   
Thanks Adam, I'll look the guys from No Wake up. I've heard good things as well.

Dave, I just bought a house on that side of the river (The Glen), so I need a place to park the boat until I modify the garage door to accomodate it. They have a party / banquet room, a ramp and you can lease slips / dock space if you want. I'm not a member yet, so I'll let you know what else I find out once I complete the application process.

Thanks guys, Guy Coward with Malibu has been in contact with me since this posting and I've sent him my gripes. We'll see what the outcome is. The Wake maker goes in the water next week and I'm hoping that there are no more issues with warranty. I just need to work out the dealer problem.
Old     (mattbob)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-23-2003, 11:23 AM Reply   
I agree with Adam about No Wake Marine. Those guys know boats and they can help you with any problem. They only sell ski/wakeboard boats, so you will never have to deal with a bass boat salesman. We almost bought a boat off them this year, but we found an awsome deal on an X-star. Spencer is great to work with and one of the best riders I have ever seen. Everyone should check out their site.
www.nowake.com
They have some great pics and video.
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-23-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
"Carpet glue on fiberglass to replacing stereo head and graphics, replace the heater, relocate the shower controls (they were located inside the boat from the factory), mid ballast leaks, chips in the gelcoat, replace bad battery, engine hatch cover had to be replaced, loose dash, loose/disconnected wires, speaker cover grilles, six months to get me a memo title so that I could purchase a watercraft sticker, still no owner's manual."

GEEZZZZ, and this is an 03' MALIBU!?!?!?!?!?
Should of bought a CC.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2003, 5:41 PM Reply   
Haha, because Correct Craft never has any problems with their dealers, right?
Old     (wake_fun)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-23-2003, 6:06 PM Reply   
Ok now
Just seems like a lot of problems to a brand new boat, that's all. In Jim's first post he says he's not getting any response from Malibu. In his second post he talks about the QUALITY and makes a list so long of problems I don't need to repeat it.
So someone explain the problem here.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-23-2003, 6:37 PM Reply   
The problem is that Jim's situation sucks and I completely sympathize with him, but if anyone things this kind of stuff doesn't happen with EVERY manufacture out there, they are extremely jaded.

Also, check out MBO, you'll find lots of stories from other people in your area, and how they resolved any problems they might have had.