Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-29-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
The lake I frequent is not very deep. On average it is 6-8 feet deep with some area's up to 11 foot max. From what I am reading on this forum it is difficult to get a good wave in shallow water????? Am I wasting my time or can I get a decent wave to surf? Thanks!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-29-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
It is not ideal, but you should be able to get a rideable wake.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-29-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
Possible, but a lot of work for little wake. I never go in less than 14 ft.
Old    surfdad            08-29-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
14+ feet would be BEST, but over the years my team of experts :-) Dennis, Jerry and Mike have been able to develop pretty good wakes in water depths of a maximum of 8 feet. We hosted contests for the folks at the NorCal INT League several times up at Villa Lagos, a man-made wakeboarding lake. It's maximum depth, as I said, is 8 feet and I'd guess shallower than that, more often than not.

The key seems to be more about "sinking" the entire boat, rather than just focusing on the one rear corner. A more even distribution of the weight gave better results.

Like Matt points out, not ideal, but doable.

This is a link to last years contest so you can see some of the pictures:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/355203.html

One picture so you don't have to slog through that thread.

Upload
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-29-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
i was surfing last night and the wife was driving and she doesn't know the shallow spots like i do so the water went from like the 20+ ft to like 6ft and the wake was like 1/2 the size

can someone explain to me why shallow water does this?
Old     (souperfly)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2007, 3:28 PM Reply   
less compression of the water under the boat. Basically when the water compresses under the bottom of the boat, it rebounds like on a trampoline, shallower water = less rebound. This is a very basic concept at least...
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-31-2007, 9:43 PM Reply   
Hey BigCatPT, I saw on your profile you're from utah? Where at? I suppose you're talking about Utah Lake. I can be on the water from my house in 5 minutes but I end up driving up to Deer Creek most of the time due to the depth of Utah Lake. Early season at Utah lake is ridable when the depths are about 10-11 ft. But I've noticed that by June the depth drops just 1 foot and its not worth going for surfing. We've been going up to Deer Creek and have loved it this year if you don't mind launching off the beach. We get a great wake up there. There's usually only 3-4 boats on the lake with us.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-31-2007, 11:28 PM Reply   
Hey Trash4life. You guessed it, Utah Lake. Its too tough to pass up when I can be launching in less than 10 minutes and can usually find nice flat water for wakeboarding. I'm new to surfing so I haven't tried anywhere else but UL. I haven't been to DC for about 6 weeks (just before they closed the state park ramp) but I didn't have my Centurion Avalanche then anyway so surfing wasn't an option behind my old boats I/O motor. The whole beach launch make me a little nervous... Is it pretty solid? What size boat are you launching? I'm headed to UL tomorrow (sat) and have another 1000# of sac to add to what I already had. So I will give it a try and maybe try out DC on monday. Tell me more about the beach launch there! Thanks!
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-02-2007, 3:35 AM Reply   
here in Clermont Florida we surf in 6-8 feet of water all the time with a Direct Drive Moomba Outback. It's no big deal. Just need two 600 lb fat sacs.
Old     (amonteroman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-02-2007, 6:53 AM Reply   
Our lake varies in depth from 8 to 25 feet, while we are surfing and hit a spot that is less than 12 feet deep the wave shrinks before our eyes/boards.
Old     (trash4life)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-02-2007, 9:58 PM Reply   
If you head up to DC tomorrow (I should be up there too, look for my yellow MB) then you will be able to see the difference from saturday to monday on your boat. I think there's a huge difference in the size of the wakes at the two lakes. The beach is solid at the island resort. They have a tractor down there that looks like it has been smoothing and packing it down. I called the ranger and he said he has only seen guys getting stuck who are launching huge boats and never a ski boat. Maybe we'll see ya there.
Old     (bigcatpt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-02-2007, 10:14 PM Reply   
kenny,
I am heading to DC tomorrow. Hopefully be there around 930 or so. I'll keep an eye out for a yellow MB. I'm in a black with silver trim Centurion Avalanche.