Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-03-2014, 7:58 AM Reply   
I am looking at an 04 X2 for sale. . It's a good price, but needs a little tlc. The rubber rub rails are marked up. The carpets look like they could be replaced as well. There is also some small spider cracks in the fiber glass were the tower is mounted on the boat. The boat owner said it is common to happen in colder climates because of contaction and expansion. Is this normal and should I be concerned about it? How much does in cost to replace the carpet and rub rails? Thanks for your help.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       02-03-2014, 9:52 AM Reply   
Do you have pics?

There are some on-line stores that sell rub rail replacements. Below is one link
http://greatlakesskipper.com/catalog...b+rail&x=0&y=0

Replacements carpets seems to seel for about $500ish, but you can also get them made - not sure how much. Also many people have moved away from carpet and used Sea Dek instead.

Gel cracks can be somewhat common, but the causes can be from many things. Cracks around the tower could be from stress or movement/flex of the tower at the mounting points. many people have this, but determining if its cosmetic or structural depends on the severity. some people do their own spider crack repairs. There are lots of youtube vids on this.

good luck.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-03-2014, 11:30 AM Reply   
@ Bryan
Does Sea Dek make templates for the X2? I am not experienced in this, but if I rip the carpet up I am guessing the fiberglass floor in not a finished fiberglass.

Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-03-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
The do not make a template. You have to send them one and then they will cut it for you. They have many templates for the swim platform, but not interiors.

I have lived in the cold(Minnesota) all my life and cold does not crack gel coat. Has absolutely nothing to do with it. If it did every boat in the northern US or Canada would be garbage after a few winters. The cracks are from flex and indicate a problem. Fiberglass can flex, but gel coat is to hard and cracks. If there are just a couple small cracks probably no big deal, if its a lot then you have a problem. But it has nothing to do with the temperature. Be extremely careful once someone tells you something that nutty. Either they are lying to hide something or they are just plain boat stupid. Either way not really the guy you want to own a boat after.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-03-2014, 11:49 AM Reply   
Someone tells you "it is common to happen in colder climates because of contaction and expansion" I would take your money elsewhere, that's a load of bull shat
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-03-2014, 1:15 PM Reply   
Good to know! I was a bit concerned when I seen t the cracks.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-04-2014, 1:54 PM Reply   
Spider cracks aren't necessarily the end of the world. My 2004 X2 ran 3-4000 LBS of ballast it's entire 1000 hour life and has some near where you are talking about . They may as well not even be there as the boat runs and drives perfect.

Show us some pics and price.