Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-04-2013, 3:47 AM Reply   
I currently run 4 group 27 deep cycle batteries for my stereo bank. I want to get back some of that room. Would these batteries work well?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/duracel...equestid=39203

I would probably just run 2 of these.

Thanks
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-04-2013, 7:27 AM Reply   
Those are made by Deka for Duracell. Those are 12V golf cart batteries which have the same footprint as a group 27(or really close) but are probably 3 inches or so taller. I haven't researched too much about the 12v GC batteries but the 6 volt ones are awesome for a stereo because they have really thick plates. Meaning they are meant for deep cycle type applications. I don't think the 12 V GC has double the RC as the 6V GC's. What I mean is that 2 6V GC's may have a better RC than 2 12v GC's. The nice thing about the 12v GC's is that you can use an odd number of them. Another thing to consider is group 31 Deka/Duracells. They are the same footprint as the 27's but an inch taller. They usually fit in group 27 battery boxes as well. You may be able to get rid of a battery but keep the same RC and 20 AH rating.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-04-2013, 7:36 AM Reply   
Man I'm curious what kind of stereo you are running that you need 4 group 27 batteries for the stereo alone? Must be a monster or you just use your boat as a raft.
Old     (BradM07SS)      Join Date: Jul 2011       01-04-2013, 7:58 AM Reply   
Thanks!!

All I'm running is 2 SA15 subs, 8 exile 6.5 and 2 rev 10's.
Amps are:

2 skar audio 125.4 800watts each
1- aq2200 mon amp 2200 watts for the subs
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-04-2013, 8:17 AM Reply   
That battery looks pretty similar to the Trojan T-1275.

http://www.trojanbattery.com/products/t-127512v.aspx

I've been running 3 of these for my stereo bank since May of last year. I think I paid around $165ea for them which is a pretty good value for 155Ahr.

They worked great though I never really pushed their limit. The longest I ran them with the motor off was for about 8hrs at an average of maybe 75% of the clean, unclipped volume of my system (4500W RMS). During that time, my voltage dropped from 14.3 to 13.6.

I charged them religiously while not on the water with a nice 3 stage charger though I admittedly did not maintain the water level of them very well.

I just pulled 2 of them out that had bad cells. They were swapped out under warranty. Not fun lugging 85lb batteries in and out of the boat.