Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hendryjl)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-08-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
So, I've read a ton of boards including searching this board and the archives and I'm still not seeing a lot of alternatives...

I have a 2000 MC Prostar 205V I've owned since she was new. It's in fantastic shape and I'm trying to keep it that way, which requires a lift since I keep it at my dock.

My dock attributes:
- U shaped dock with top deck
- Floating dock, adjusts in an out from shore to match with fluctuating water levels
- Slip is 10' wide
- Fresh water lake
- In a no-wake cove so no major wave issues
- 12 feet of water under the dock at full pool*
* In severe drought times, I can move the dock to another location (deeper water), but it's a huge effort. I want to get a lift that operates in minimal depth so I can wait out the move as long as possible (avoid moving at all).

Cable Lifts - Out
It's a corp lake and they don't allow cable lifts on it, so those are out.

Free-Standing Lifts - Out
I have to have something that floats and moves with the dock when needed.

Air Bag Lifts - Out
I've been using an air-dock (www.air-dock.com) air-bag lift for the last 10 years. It's been working ok, and for the price, it's been a really good solution, and requires the least water depth of anything I've seen, but it's been a maintenance burden. I have a bunch of patch repairs on it. I'm looking for something easier and simpler.

Hydraulic Lifts - ???
I saw the Sunstream Hydraulic and love it, but it's not going to happen in a 10' wide slip (they need 12'). Are there other hydraulic solutions that can fit my dimensions/criteria?

Floating tank (air/water) lifts - ???
The best solution in this catagory seems to be the HydroHoist UL-2, which is their shallow water lift. It's right at the maximum amount of required water depth that I'm comfortable with. Their pricing and the inability to self-install (they won't allow it) doesn't sit that well with me.

Anyone got any other suggestions? Just give me a quick pointer and I'll go research them.

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-08-2010, 11:02 PM Reply   
By a used hydro-hoist and be done with it. Install it yourself.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-09-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
They do make hydraulic lifts less than 10' wide, but I do not think your water level stays constant enough for a hydraulic lift and it would be an enormous effort to move if you ever had to chase water with your dock. There are several hydrohoist type lifts out there and you can troll the ususal sources and boat dock companies for a used one.
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-09-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
hydro hoist or a shoremaster type lift is your only option. they are not hard to instal if you have any common mechanical knowlege at all. just keep your eyes and ears peeled for a used one to save some $$$. i found a shoremaster for $3000.00 and it was only 1 year old. we did the install in a day and i live on a lake that fluxuates 30+ feet and we have no issuses at all. also i am on main channel with nice rollers all day on weekends with no issuse with that either. you just have to bite the bullet and do it. i would however make sure if you get a used one to make sure you can obtain parts. you never know when you could need something.

good luck.
Old     (bzubke1)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-09-2010, 10:18 AM Reply   
Where do you live? i'm in north texas and found a guy who sells used shoremaster type lifts. We got ours installed for $3000 with a one year warranty. And he has been really good about coming out to fix any issues we've had. If youre in the area and interested let me know and i'll get u his information.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-09-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
If you don't mind me asking, what are they asking for the UL2?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-09-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
try tigerboatdocks.com call and see what they reccomend. they also sell used lifts.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       08-09-2010, 1:46 PM Reply   
A Hydraulic Lift such as a Sunstream is a free standing lift that you said was out. Our neighbors have one and it is great. We have a shorestation which is fine but not as nice as a Sunstream but again both are free standing (but can be moved out with 3 or 4 strong guys).