Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-19-2007, 2:48 AM Reply   
Somebody posted an old CWB ad in the connelly thread with the world renowned Mr. Jeremy Kovak in it. This sparked something I saw a while back and always wondered but never asked... Was this guy landing Air mobe 5's back in the day? I know I've seen it listed in trick lists (maybe INT stuff), but he is the only one I know of doing hs wake to wake mobe 5's in the 90's. Seems like I recall even seeing a sequence of it in and old WBM.

I mean, the Boner flip was monumental, but an AIR mobe 5?! As ugly as it may have been that's nuts...

And before someone says it: Yes I'd rather see a bs 180 too
Old    justinh            09-19-2007, 6:03 AM Reply   
I had the opportunity to ride with him a few years ago. He had the most un-believeable vertical pop of anyone I have ever seen. All behind a a Sport Nautique with no additional ballast.

He had a brief come-back a few years ago and did very well. I can barely remember his run, but he had several mobe-fives (heel, pete, crow--at least).

I don't know much about him off the water, but I have always felt that everyone was far too critical of his riding.

I think he suffered from the "Philip Soven effect". Meaning: he was so good and so consistant that he was hard to root for. Like cheering for the house in Roulette.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-19-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
David, I've seen a segment of him somewhere & he does an air mobe 5 but can't remember where.

As for other riders doing w2w mobe 5's, I have a video of Jeff Heer doing one at the Pro Tour stop in Ft. Lauderdale a few years back.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-19-2007, 8:03 AM Reply   
How long ago? Jeff Heer still competes at that level?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-19-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
I rode with him a couple years ago, super nice guy. He was on the boat but couldn't ride, really bad knee injury. And i would much rather see a mobe 5 than a freaking blind 180. I mean a HS MOBE 5 w2w!!! I would rather see that than even lyman busting a blind 180 20 feet into the flats.

"Why would i grab the board if it is already attached to my feet" -Jeremy Kovak
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-19-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
Kyle,

I agree with the first bs 180 statement, but the second with Lyman is just crazy...I would definately rather see Lyman taking a bs 180 20 feet into the flats.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-19-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
Yeah but the opportunity to see a hs mobe 5 w2w is pretty rare, even on video...
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-19-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
ok guys, lets be honest with ourselves...either would be amazing, lets not discriminate.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-19-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
I was in the boat watching Andrew Adkison hitting double up after double up in an attempt to land his mobe 7. When he would give up on the trick, it would end up and this huge floaty back roll or wake jump that reminded me of Jeremy Kovak. I offered Andrew $100 to do a slowball, but he didn't take me up on it. Maybe we should put a bounty on some old tricks that nobody does any more!
Old    K.B.C.            09-19-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
he was talking about an air mobe 5, not a w2w. I'd personally rather see a huge back 1 than any air trick, however a air back mobe 5 is damn impressive none the less.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-19-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
As far as I know Jeff Heer doesn't really ride what so ever because of his knee's and last I heard he was living in Vancouver BC and working at the Hyperlite warehouse.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-19-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
A slowball is a super stalled front flip isn't it? Any pics or videos of one dave?
Old     (riverratboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-19-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
An "air" Mobe 5 is done in the flats. Not off the wake. I dont think he did an "air" mobe 5's. I think they were off the wake.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-19-2007, 9:27 AM Reply   
There was a really old instructional in WBM where Jeff Heer did an AIR MOBE 5 in the flats. He was riding Hyperlite's first multi fin board the Project and wearing the original blue 3060 boots. They most certainly were air tricks. Heck Murray did an air whirly 5 if I'm not mistaken.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-19-2007, 9:29 AM Reply   
While we are talking about air tricks, here's another name for you: Jason Cooley (old O'brien rider).

I have "Class in Session - vol.2" from like 97-98 and he could do it all. His "air trick" section started with an air back mobe.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       09-19-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
Jason Cooley hurt his neck on a raley that he came up short on and departed the sport afterward - didn't he?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-19-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
Erik, I'll check the video of the pro tour stop I had with Heer doing the mobe 5 when I get home tonight. When I mean a few years ago, it could have been around 99 or 2000, when he was still competing. I haven't seen him in a while though. And if my memory serves me correctly, it was switch w2w mobe 5.

Kovak does a w2w mobe 5 in the video Fluid from back in the day.
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-20-2007, 5:34 AM Reply   
Well here's something for everyone... The Push Process teaser has Andrew Adkison doing a grab mobe 5 off the wake (as well as one of his super close mobe 7 attempts) AND one of Keith Lyman's ginormous indy backside 180s. Now you can all surf the 'Net in peace.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-20-2007, 6:02 AM Reply   
Hmmm...

(edit)

Oh, nevermind. I'm sure some people are gonna dish it, but it won't be me for now. I'm trying real hard to behave myself.

(Message edited by dococ on September 20, 2007)
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       09-20-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
KOVAK- Wasnt he a the ICON man back in the day? I remember his signature board back in the mid 90's (around 96'-99').

Those were the skinnest boards I had ever seen, not to mention less rocker than an old traditional board. I had to give it my all to land any invert on them back in the day
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       09-20-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
I was watching Scrubs of the South recently and I have to say one of the most impressive things I have seen on video was an osmosis OA 7. I cannot remember who did it but it seems it was an old school rider.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-20-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
scrubs of the south, holy sh*t i forgot about that video, i need to dig it up...there was some crazy shizzle on there
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-20-2007, 4:19 PM Reply   
check out high wake drifters, or wake the beast for some crazy action. I think it was in HWD, that brannon meek was sliding on a submarine or something. and see Gator nail a rock in wake the beast. I think he was at Lake Powell, and was riding in one of those canal type things.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-20-2007, 10:22 PM Reply   
So it took me a while to dig threw my videos but I found the one with Jeff Heer doing a W2W switch HS mobe 5. It was the 1998 Pro Tour stop in Ft. Lauderdale. The trick before that in his run was a HS mobe, one of the few guys at the time doing back to back mobes.

*It was a "few" more years ago then I thought.

And I also saw Russell Gay do a wake mobe 5 at the double up contest at the 2001 Malibu Open in Joliet, IL.

One last thing, Erik Ruck was doing a HS mute mobe 7 back in the early 2000's. I remember him sticking it at the 2001 Gravity Games. Although his version was different then the one I saw Adkison throw in the Push Process Teaser. Ruck would do the first 360 ole and the second 360 with a handle pass.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-21-2007, 2:00 AM Reply   
Ryan that's awesome. I wish that was somewhere on the 'net because I love seeing throw back footage of riders who dropped off the face of the earth - especially when they're doing stuff that you rarely even see in modern times. I think Ruck's trick your talking about would probably be considered a hs ole 7, as a heel mobe 7 would actually require three full rotations (1 flip and two spins). I remember when he used to do an Indy moby dick too off the double up - or Indy tantrum late bs 3 whatever you want to call it - PIMP!

Also Ive never had the privilege to see the boner flip. Does anyone know if any of these youtube'ish websites have a clip of this? Id love to see this mystical maneuver...

(Message edited by Focker on September 21, 2007)
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-21-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
Dave, wish I was computer savy enough to be able to take my vhs footage of Heer and post it. I'll see if any of my friends have a clue on how to do that. As for Ruck, I don't disagree with you on the name of it, but that's what they were calling it back when he was doing it. Kind of like the when they call Soven's Whirly Dick a whirly 7. If people do considered it a whirly 7, it's a different version of the whirly 7 I've seen Parks throw a "few" years ago.

I think it would be cool to have a topic like "Where are they now?" Check up on riders that were the founders of our sport like the dirty dozen, as well as top level riders that we never hear of anymore. It was cool to read the interview with Andrea Gaytan. That's the stuff that I really like to read about.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-21-2007, 7:05 AM Reply   
Ruck's trick was a mute mobe, not a mute mobe 7. As David said, a mobe 7 is one flip and 2 full spins (720 degrees).
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-21-2007, 7:21 AM Reply   
El, I'm not disagreeing, but that's what they were calling it back then. Print was even calling it a mute mobe 7. Again, not disagreeing.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-21-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
How about when scott byerly slid his vw bug. I belive it was on hit it but not sure.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-21-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
Jeff, you're right, it was Hit It. Byerly's section in that video is one of my all time favorites.
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-21-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
what's a boner flip