Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-06-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
I currently ride a Landlock 5'6" behind a Sanger V210 with 1,200lbs of ballast. I want to try a new board and see what tricks I can learn. How hard would it be to switch to a Phase 5 board? Since they are skimboards is it a lot harder to stay in the wake?
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
Sue
As long as you have even a decent wake, skimboard style boards are not difficult to keep in the wave.
While shopping for a new style board, please take a look at us: Trick Boardz
www.TrickBoardz.com

Our medium Velocity and large Surf Skate have been our two most popular boards this season.
Larry Mann DC
Old    superhero_ken            10-07-2005, 9:35 AM Reply   
You will love the Phase Five Oogle! I highly recommend it as we talked about before.
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       10-07-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Yes on the phase 5.I have surfed other boards and i do like the phase 5 the best.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-07-2005, 7:11 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I will look at both the Phase 5 Oogle and the Trick Boardz. Even though it is cold here I plan to keep riding in a dry suit.
Old    surfdad            10-08-2005, 6:31 AM Reply   
May I offer my 2 cents worth? You should see the interior of my shop, I have literally every wakesurfboard available, plus probably two dozen smaller surfboards, like the 50/50 waveskates that Jaime rides. Both of the skim style boards recommended above, will work well for you. You'd be happy with either purchase. However, I do believe thy will tend to be HARDER to ride. Not impossible, but it takes a good bit of skill to become proficient with them.

As an alternative to the skim style I am a big fan of the specifically shaped surfboard or really anything with a 2-3 inch fin. The picture below is of my son on a board we created for him. Airs, floaters, snaps, cutbacks are different tricks (I didn't say better, just different) that you can do on a more surfstyle board that you won't see much of on the skim style because you need more drive.

My teenage son wants to be Kelly Slater :-) So he mimics those tricks rather than those of the skimmers.

I'd encourage you to look at the alternatives to skim style boards, also, in making your decision.

Good luck!

Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-08-2005, 5:47 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff. Awesome picture. One of my concerns is how hard are the skimboards to ride. Are you thinking a board like the 4'6" Broadcast would be a good next step after my 5'6" Landlock? I ride the Landlock just fine with out the rope and I play around a lot on the wake. I just want to try more tricks.
Sue
Old     (greg__s)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-08-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Jeff - what are the dimensions of that board? How many ounces of glass did you use?
Great idea!
Old    surfdad            10-08-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
Hey Greg, James' board is 4'5", just at 20" wide, nose rocker of 3.75" and thickness was 1.8". It was glassed light with 1 layer of 3.7 oz S glass on the top and bottom. I ride one with similar dimensions, it's 4'2", but 2" thick.

Sue, I didn't care for the Broadcast, nor the Coex. I think both of them are more skim styled without actually being a skim board. The fins on the board pictured above are 3.5" and doing a 360 is NOT easy! If what you want to do is surface 180's or 360's I think that any of the Trick Boardz or the Inland Surfer Orange Phlem would be great choices. If you intend to learn more of the surf style tricks like what James does you'll want something like what James' rides (thewalkerproject.com - no relation) or the Inland Surfer Yellow Lugee (sp?) There are a number of other surf style boards, like Shred Stixx, Shoreline Lakeboards, 50/50 waveskates, etc.

You might review the posts on wakeworld and see what tricks you'd prefer to start learning and then make choices based upon the board the person is riding.

Good luck and I hope you get a perfect board!
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-09-2005, 3:06 PM Reply   
Jeff Do you have a Board Shop? or a shop at your house?
Old    surfdad            10-09-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
Hey John, I refer to the HUGE metal building where I store the boat and the rest of my "toys" as the shop. :-) Although I have enough in the way of USED boards and project boards I've built to open one! :-)
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-09-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff.It makes sense to think about what tricks or style of riding I want to do before choosing a board.
Sue
Old     (h20proof)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-10-2005, 12:47 AM Reply   
Jeff,
How much is that Walker board? Are you making boards also? How much do you sell those for?
I am currently enjoying my CWB Tsunami, but I'm always looking for the next best thing.
Old    surfdad            10-10-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
Hey Josh, I really need to straighten out that whole "walker board" thing. I'm not affiliated with Mike Walker who owns Walker Surfboards. We just share the same last name and there is no relation. About 2 years ago I was looking for someone to professionally shape and glass the designs that James and I had made in the shop. Literally, NONE of the surf shops would talk to me. Several laughed at me over the phone. :-) Anyway, Mike was professional enough to hear me out and has shaped several boards for James and I.

Now, I do want folks to be very clear on those boards. They are purpose built. We went to virtually every contest we could get to in the US, Canada and Europe, this past year. James is riding at a level that isn't seen much anywhere behind a boat...surf style.

These boards are not built to withstand the normal rigors of handling. You can't put them in a board rack. You can't toss them around on the boat. The board that James rides, will NOT work well for someone that is 15 pounds heavier, or lighter...so you and your buddies can't really shre the board unless you are all the same weight. :-) I don't want to bad-mouth these boards. You can see from the various pictures and the list of James' wins as long as your arm that they perform, IMHO, better than any surfstyle board out there. They are very technical tools. I'd guess the analogy would be they are like race cars. If you want to be competitive they are great, but for trips to the corner store or dropping the kids off at school they suck.

I do shape out of my "shop", but they are garage boards. Not professional quality by any means. :-)

I really have no idea what they cost individually. I buy from Mike several units at a time and James gets a discount because he rides for Mike. :-)

Here is Mike's website and he is offering several specific designs. He's great folks and will take care of you.

http://www.thewalkerproject.com/wakesurf/
Old     (h20proof)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-10-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
I knew you weren't affiliated with Walker Boards, just thought that you might know the prices, They are not listed on the website. I would like to ride one of these boards. I too enjoy riding surfstyle, although my board is more skim...
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-10-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
Jeff,
I have been looking at video on the internet to get an idea of the different tricks. I really like the looks of the 180 and 360 w/ out the handle. How well do you think the wood skim boards hold up compared to fiberglass ones? We take our boat out for 3 weeks in the summer and the board would be under the boat cover in the hot sun at times.
Old    surfdad            10-11-2005, 5:47 AM Reply   
Hey Jsoh, sorry to go over info you already knew. I get the question all the time, so I almost have a pat answer. I think that most shapers charge based upon how LONG the final board will be. If you ever get up NorCal way, give me a shout you can ride with us and try one of the boards anytime. Personally, I think some of the surfstyle tricks just look better than some of the skim style tricks.

Sue, in my experience there is no difference between wood and fiberglass over epoxy or divnyl out on the boat. The fiberglass might chip a little easier, but it's not a huge difference. The wood has to be stored differently, however. Most of the wood skimmers have some hand shaped rocker and you'll lose that OVER TIME if you store it with anything on top of it or upside down. I have found that the best way is to store it on edge, or flat right side up with nothing on it. The glassed boards don't have this issue.

I have had all sorts of boards in the sun and it doesn't seem to affect the performance or shape. Most will lose some of the sharpness in color with UV exposure, regardless of what they are made of.

Are you leaning towards one type of board already?
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-11-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
Sue,
We (Trick Boardz) are located in Austin Texas. We had several days of 108 degree heat this summer. We frequently leave boards in the hot truck. We are currently riding some boards that are 3 years old and are still in great shape.

Our boards are not "hand shaped" and will not lose the rocker. They are plywood, assembled one layer at a time, with waterproof glue, pressed in a 300-ton press in the curved shape, and heated over 212 degrees to cure the glue.

Trick Boardz being "shaped"

It is impossible for them to "lose rocker". My 200# son tried to break one once by leaning it on a block and jumping on it. The only thing that happened is he went sailing like off a diving board. He was unable to even damage it.

Trick Boardz are painted with environmentally safe water-based polyurethane. They are water resistant and should last for years. If you leave one in the weather or in water (wet carpet) for weeks at a time, the finish will break down. The wood should be undamaged though and it could be re-painted.

If you ding a fiberglass board, get out the toxic obnoxious chemicals to make a repair. If you ding a Trick Boardz, fix it with clear fingernail polish. We’ve had a few boards where the tips were demolished in shipping. We simply took a jig saw, cut off the damaged areas, repainted the tips, and then sold them as blems.

A twin tip wake surfboard is the only board you can do 180s on and not be surfing the board backwards (also 540s). On a single tip board, if you do a 180, you have to turn back around quickly. On Trick Boardz, you can ride either end forward as long as you like. I ride both toeside and heelside in the same set.

I have seen the pictures of James Walker and others on surf style boards getting big pop off the lip. I would expect that surf style boards will excel at this but skim style boards can get air as well. The attached picture is of Billy North his first day on a Surf Skate. This picture was taken from the tower, not the swim platform.

Billy North
Old    surfdad            10-11-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
What a great pic of Billy. Can you get a sequence of someone spinning a 3 or 180? I don't think it's easy for some of us to appreciate the true concept of your twin tip design. Just try and spin a frontside 180 and you can learn to appreciate that extra fin. :-)

I should have been more clear in my post. A year ago, we acquired a JZ skimboard, it was made of plywood, flat except for the nose rocker. I mistakeningly put it on the bottom of a stack of boards, upside down and the following year, it had lost 1/2 it's rocker.

Lary, not that you would recommend doing what I did, but will your boards withstand this sort of abuse and retain their shape?
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-11-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
Jeff
As you've noted previously, the Surf Skate "spins like crazy". To stop a spin, we teach riders to bend their knees and crouch down. This generally stops the spin. If you are doing for instance a 540, halfway between the 360 and 540, start to crouch and the spin will slow down just as your finishing up.

We took one of our boards this summer and tried to warp it by setting 4" wood blocks on opposite corners and then clamping down the other two corners. In other words, the board was bent about 4" at opposite corners. We left it that way for several days. We found that even by applying hundreds of pounds of force we were unable to change the curves or rocker of the board. It just sprung back to its correct shape.

We have been at boat shows where people came up to us and said, “I used to ride a wooden disk 30 years ago. I still have it in my garage.” With reasonable care, Trick Boardz can be handed down to your grandchildren.
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-12-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
Thanks for the information Jeff and Larry. I liked the video's on the Trick Boardz site. I think I am leaning toward a skimboard. I just want to be able to ride with out the handle when I first get on a skimboard. Then I can learn some tricks.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-01-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
Does anyone have a phone number for Phase 5? I can't seem to find one anywhere, and would like to contact them. Specifically looking for their sales mgr or promo person, if anyone knows a good contact.

Thanks.
Old    surfdad            11-02-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
Hey Buzz Phase 5 and Zap are under Glaspro, Inc. Last contact numbers I saw:

941-488-4586
800-274-7546
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-02-2005, 1:31 PM Reply   
Thanks a bunch.