Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (wakeboarddad01)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-15-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
You hear people say that it will never happen. I also heard that about snowboarding and look how many people showed up to watch it. Just look at the overall television ratings of the olympics and snowboarding was one of the top sports to watch... The question here is not if wakeboarding will make it to the olympics but WHEN will it? Give us your 2 cents on this topic and lets really hear your opinion..... Look how successful the winter and summer X games are it's only a matter of time...... AGREE or DISAGREE and WHY....
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-15-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
I'd like wakeboarding to get to the olympics, but from what I know, it's not a matter of how many people will show up to watch it, but they say it's not an olympic sport because you rely on the pull of the boat. I may be wrong but that's what I heard. And without the pull of the boat or any other equipment, I think there is no wakeboard!
Old     (nwcoast2cascade)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-15-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding and waterskiing absolutely will NEVER be in the olympics for one simple reason. A machine is required. A boat, with a ton of different variables.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-15-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
I am not sure of this year or next few but Wakeboarding is DEFINATELY going to be in the Pan American games and the USA has two spots for men only no women. They are hoping that in 2012 it will be in the Olympics. Keep in mind this is how and where baseball started its way into the Olympics. I am not completely sure where the games are in 2012, but I was told by Marcus F. (USA Wakeboard) that they are very optimistic that this will happen. The host country has a choice to nominate a non Olympic sport and whoever is the host country, people in the know are feeling pretty good that this will happen.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-16-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
III is right, it will NEVER happen. Wakeboarding requires the assistance of a motorized boat. There are no Olympic sports that require something like that.

Waterskiing has been around forever and never made it to the olympics.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-16-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
IMO The only way it will become an Olympic spot will be on the cable not behind a boat. But I even have doubts about that as well, although I would love to see Wakeboarding in the Olympics I dont think it will ever happen.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       03-16-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Its pretty clear to me that the only reason snowboarding is in the olympics is becasue it is now pretty much entirly owned by the ski industry and the ski industry carries a lot of weight with the people incharge of the winter olympics. I think olympics would be the worse thing ever for the sport of wakeboarding. Might as well go figure skating or something. In my opion the more money a sport is worth the less soul and style it has. I say put wakeboarding in the olympics when they add surfing.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-16-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
Don't think it has anything to do with being motorized or not. Here is a list of sports recognized by the IOC (from their web site). As I read, I found they could be Olympic Sports in the future (Waterskiing and Motorcycle Racing is included). Question is when............
http://www.olympic.org/uk/sports/recognized/index_uk.asp
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-16-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
interesting
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-16-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Would it be a team sport? Driver and Rider?

Imagine an American Driver pulling a Chinese Wakeboarder... How would that work? --Maybe an Autopilot boat (with safety driver) on a laser guided course?

If it were to happen, we won't see Wakeboarding until at least 2016. Here's why: the 2012 bid for the Olympics have already gone to London. London, as the host city would have to make major accommodations to support another event -- such as Wakeboarding. Wakeboarding would have to be listed as an event on the original bid so the host city can accurately determine their costs to host the event.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-16-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
I think we'll see skateboarding, BMX, MX, waterskiing, in-line stake before wakeboarding. It might be a long while.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-16-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
yosquire -Waterskiing is huge in London from what I've been told. Doesn't London have the opportunity to nominate a non olympic event to become olympic since they are host? I had just heard that there is BIG hopes that London would nominate some sort of watersport in 2012
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-17-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
wont happen
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-17-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
shouldn't happen
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-18-2006, 4:35 AM Reply   
I'd like to see it in the olympics, maybe snowboarding will help pave the way.

Although, they've been trying to get waterskiing in the olympics for at least the last 20 years!

Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-18-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
Waterskiing was an olypic event in the old days, but was removed. Not sure of the year or the reason.