Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (phx07enzo)      Join Date: May 2007       06-17-2008, 7:17 AM Reply   
So I was out on Saturday and felt like I hit a very small log in the water. There was a bit of debris that day. Anyway the boat had a vibration above 2500 RPM so I just limped it back in. I took off the prop this morning and could find no visible damage. Now I know there could be a slight bend that I couldn't notice, but the prop looked ok.
The Question I have is, when I grabbed the prop and turned the shaft, it made kid of a rubber on metal squeaking sound. The sound was coming from the bearing that holds the shaft directly behind the prop. BTW this is a 07 V-drive. IS this simply because it's not in the water, or could I have a bearing problem? How do I know for sure/repair?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-17-2008, 7:21 AM Reply   
The cutlass bearing is lubricated by the water. You can spray some silicone lube in it to free it up to mess with it while it's on the trailer.

You can kind of check the straightness of the shaft in place with a carpenter's square. It's probably just one of the prop blades bent inward a little bit, without dinging the edge.
Old     (phx07enzo)      Join Date: May 2007       06-17-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
thanks, I'm guessing that's the case. I just dont want any shaft problem$$
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
How hard was it to turn the prop?
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-17-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
I have the same boat, usually when I hit a log, it get caught on the fins in front washing out the water from the prop causing a bad vibration. After you remove the log which can be done by backing up fast, the vibration goes away. The noise is normal when rotating the shaft dry.