Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 15, 2008

Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-20-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
what sounds better for in boat speakers wet sounds or jl audio
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-20-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
WET SOUNDS!!!!

we just had the three up set up by wet sounds put on our tower. and the wet set interior boat speakers. SOUND AMAZING!
JL and Arc audio recommended wet sounds over their own brand. what does that tell you? haha but seriously. wet sounds sound amazing
Old     (wakemann)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-20-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
I can say this much, Tim will go out his way to answer any questions you might have.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-21-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
key word is "boat" hands down wetsounds. Not to mention the JL's are way overpriced.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-21-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the props!

JL makes great products, no doubts about that. Their marine line is a high quality product as well.

There are big differences between ours and others in not only the way we build them but the way they are tuned.

The JL's have a silk dome tweeter and a smooth response. Which I feel is great for a car speaker or something that you will be listening to at mid volumes and to jazz or classical music. But for a boat. It is not the way we use our boats or the music we listen to.

Our speakers have a titanium tweeter that is clean and crisp. It is tuned this way to overcome the wind and engine noise and also responds great for rock or rap and at higher volumes. Which is how we listen to music and usually the types of music when boating.

The XS650, like our subs. Has a rubber spider. Where others use a treated cloth. This makes the back of the speaker and all parts marine and not just the front or the cone. So moisture build up in the rear will not affect it. It also adds to the mid bass timbre. These speakers have a ton of mid bass and a great low end punch. Again, perfect for marine and the way we use our systems.

We do some really cool things on the cone and surround as well. We thermoform the cone to the surround. So it is one piece. It becomes sealed together. So there is no glue or worries of glue failure from heat or UV.

The magnet is oversized for higher power handling as well. With a rubber booat to protect it. The tweeter is mounted on the grille so no water down a pole piece.

If you get a chance to do a demo. Take a listen to them. Put a solid 100 watts rms to them and rail on them. Take the same 100 watts rms and do that to other coaxs for an a to b demo.

Here are some shots so you can see the size of the magnet.

Tim
Wet Sounds

Upload
Upload

Upload
Old     (sheehan)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-21-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Coming from the car audio scene, JL makes some crazy nice stuff, but you pay for it. I havn't heard much of JL's marine series.
Friend has some wetsounds in his Tige and they sound great though. We can hear them two or three coves over.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-21-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
Jl's marine isnt great. my local master craft said so as well.
i forgot to mention this also. but my dad had the wet sounds put in the boat like i mentioned. but it needs the sub. i think its a 9 inch? dont hold me to that. but it does need it. with the sub it sounds awesome
Old     (bamboo)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-21-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
My experience is with Mastercraft:

JL's are great as a painless factory (included) solution. It's included in your price and great quality. If your putting something into an old boat or upgraded old equipment go wetsounds all the way.

If it is something you are paying for as an option, pass on JL and go with Wetsounds . For example, in tower speakers on a MC you'll save probably $2000 over MSRP to MSRP from the JLs optioned from Mastercraft. Yes you get plastic housing instead of aluminum, but I'm not complaining in the slightest. My wetsounds blast from one side of the lake to the other and I'm very happy with the support and my purchase.

If you're buying go with Wakeoutlaws.com they're throwing the WS420 in and that's a $350 savings and a very convienent option.

(Message edited by bamboo on October 21, 2008)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-22-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
As a side note pertaining to MasterCrafts:

MasterCraft doesn’t properly power the JL marine 7.7-inch speakers and the 10-inch free-air sub. The JL E, A & G series amplifiers are light for these particular speaker models. Plus, the factory speaker wire and power wire are way too light and choke the performance.

So, if you’ve got a MasterCraft, you have no idea what the potential is until you retune and correct the power and wire issues. Also, most MC models have only one pair of components in the cockpit (plus a pair on the bow). A second set added to the cockpit makes a profound difference.

Contact me and I’ll show you how you can maintain and supplement what you have… and be very pleased with the performance.

info@earmarkcaraudio.com

David E.M.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-22-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
Any reputable speaker company that makes good speakers, amps, and components will sound great when tuned correctly no matter what your buying. Personally the JL's are the cleanest sounding tower speakers ive heard. Just my 2 cents. Wetsounds is good as well. It just comes down to whos installing, tuning, and what kind of set up you want for the price your willing to pay. I dont think you would be making a mistake if you bought either or.
Old     (davidggriffith)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-22-2008, 7:08 PM Reply   
i'm basically redoing my system in my sanger i had it installed last summer and i'm not happy it looks like a hacker did it i'm going with the wet sounds i think its the best way for me i wish earmarkcaraudio was in idaho so i can just give them my boat to fix my system
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-22-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
I have the stock jl componets in my 05 X2 powered by the JLG4500 in 4 channel stereo, 80 watts rms at 14.4v and they sound pretty good. I also replaced all the power and ground wire with 4 gauge wire.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-23-2008, 5:44 AM Reply   
"Plus, the factory speaker wire and power wire are way too light and choke the performance"

The power/ground runs are short enough that the factory wiring is more than suffcient for the stock setup. There is no voltage drop across the wire. Moreover, the speakers aren't taking that much power, the stock wiring is fine.

But I can see how this is an easy way to make some extra money if I'm a shop owner.

Simply re-tuning the amp/HU is all that is needed to the stock system. ( you can always just add bigger amps)
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-23-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
Sam,

No need for your combative attitude.

I share information freely over many forums that reach a national footprint and beyond. This provides me with little benefit in Dallas. I think that the great majority understand that I was attempting to benefit MasterCraft owners who otherwise may have been made to feel like they had inferior equipment… when actually they have very good equipment. Otherwise, I try and stay out of debates over brands that become extremely subjective.

Working in the marine electronics business gives me the benefit of real experiences. My opinions are tempered by actual trials and results.

The fact is that MC factory will oftentimes run 18-gauge to the speakers including the subwoofer. An upgrade is in order here. Any six-channel amplifier deserves 4-gauge power cable and terminations. The tower speakers deserve a larger and dedicated amplifier. The cockpit should receive more than one pair of speakers. Do these simple things and I believe most MasterCraft owners will be very happy that they built on to what they have rather than doing wholesale changes. Again, these comments pertain strictly to a MasterCraft.

David E.M.
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-23-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
I would definitely have to agree that 18awg doesn't seem to be sufficient for the power handling required for a good, 500-1000watt capable sub. Have i done voltage tests over various lengths to prove it? No. Does it make perfect sense to me to re-run a nice fatty 14-12awg wire back through to your nice new sub that you spent so much money on just to know for absolute certain that it's not a weak point, when wire is as cheap as it is? Absolutely. I did the same method, simply building on to what already existed in my Supra, and it made it exponentially better and saved a ton of cash at the same time.
Old     (liquidlite)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-23-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
tim, how much do the xs650s go for...im gonna swap out all 10 of my kenwoods for yours. can you email me prices and possibly hook me up??? tompearse21@gmail.com
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-23-2008, 6:27 PM Reply   
Tom, you are in investent sales buddy...don't ever publicly ask for a deal...any reatiler prefers to keep any deals he/she makes quiet, in order to not create a tsunami of pissed off customers and dealers.

It was decent of you to at least give your email at the end...but don't ask publicly.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-23-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
i'd be all over the ws if they had seperates. don't want to look at that old clarion tweet next to some new coaxial.
/edit

oh and if i could see some more grilles. :-)

(Message edited by brucemac on October 23, 2008)
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-23-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
brucemac, I added LED's to where the old Clarion tweeter was.

Upload