Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old    wakeup            08-19-2004, 7:16 AM Reply   
yesterday, 3 of my friends and i spent the whole day building a slider (i'll post pics later) on my friend's pond. by the time we were done with the slider, the sun had set and darkness was upon us. one of my friends decided to hit the slider by moonlight and did so but slipped off and bodychecked it. he wasn't hurt but i think our slider might be too slippery. the top material is 2 pieces of 2" pvc and just to let u know my friend was riding an 03 parks (glossy bottom). the reason i consider this an emergency is because my friends parents don't really like the slider and will probobly ask us to tear it down very soon (maybe even today). I was wondering if there was any way to make the slider less slippery (wax, sanding, etc) or if we just need to work on our balance. Thanks.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-19-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
You don't want make the slider less slipperly. You need to make sure that you aren't on edge when you hit it. Maintain an edge up to the slider but flaten out the board and distribute your weight equally before hitting it. I see this all the time at OWC, where riders keep their edge onto the slider and bust their a$$. Once you become more experienced hitting it then you can do more with your edge but initially you want a flat board.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-19-2004, 8:55 AM Reply   
also, perhaps go slower on it. try 16mph or so.
Old    wakeup            08-20-2004, 3:39 PM Reply   
here's a pic of the slider, thanks for the help guys
slider
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-20-2004, 5:42 PM Reply   
Looks like your gonna just have to get used to it man... not much else you can do.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-20-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
Sweet! Actually those pipes are less slippery than the high density polyethylene they use on the O'Dub sliders. Or at least they will be after you slide it for a while. How did you sink the supports into the ground?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-20-2004, 7:15 PM Reply   
Dude... sliders are slippery. That's the whole point.

Nice looking construction, BTW!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-20-2004, 10:45 PM Reply   
I built a slider just like that. Its pretty easy to hit. just stay low on the approach and dont be scare to keep you weight balance over the board.
Old     (blackhash)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-20-2004, 10:52 PM Reply   
dude dont cry dry your eye and do the damn thing man they are all like that try trek that will be even faster
Old    wakeup            08-21-2004, 9:34 AM Reply   
john, it's funny that you ask about the supports because they took by far the most time to install. we cut the end of every support into a point and then hammered the main supports in (the vertical ones) using a sledge hammer but it took FOREVER. I'm talking like 3 or 4 hours for 4 supports. Then, after watching us struggle for about an hour, one of my friends mentioned that he had a post-hole driver and it would probobly work better than the sledge. It did. We used it to drive all of the secondary supports in (the ones going at a slight angle from the verticle posts). Bottom Line - if you're going to build a slider like this, a post hole driver is your best friend. I'll post some pics of us hitting this thing as soon as we can. It has been raining non-stop here for the last couple of days and because we are pulling the boarder with a quad, my friend who owns the pond was worried about tearing up his grass because the ground was too wet.

(Message edited by WakeUp on August 21, 2004)