Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (janderson)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-21-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Can a v-drive boat throw a competitive wake compared to malibu or mastercraft. I've personally never been behind one but I know a lot of you guys use them.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-21-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Most true wakeboard boats have the engine in the back. They're not near as ski friendly as they are wakeboard friendly.
Old    meyerb            11-21-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
YOur question is strange. diff v's throw diff wakes and bu's and craft's both come in v's. V is the way to go hand down.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-21-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
you sir, have done zero homework, we are all now dumber for having read this post

but seriously, what the others have said above
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-21-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
For the love, do a bit more research
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-21-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
Let's give the guy a little slack first.

Joseph,

You have a Nautique, correct?

I assume it is a inboard ski boat?

All major ski/wake boat manufacturers make inboard and V-drive Models.

Now when you ask "Can a v-drive boat throw a competitive wake compared to malibu or mastercraft?" I assume you mean a V-drive Wakeboard Boat and not a V-Drive Inboard/outboard Boat.

Now just about every V-drive Wakeboard boat will throw a better Wake than an Inboard boat (considering they are weighted equally). Now this isnt necessarily true with all V-drives but for this discussion it is.

Now to take your question a little further- If you are asking if
(supra, moomba, Nautique, Centurion, sanger...) v-drive boat can throw a competitive wake vs. the Malibu and MC wakes then the answer is yes. Everybody on this website is pretty biased as to what their favorite boat and wake is, but the simple answer for your question is that you can get a good wake out just about every V-drive Wakeboard boat on the market.

My advise to to try and get with other people on this website ( find a third thread) and ride behind as many different boats that you can. Because only you can make the decision as to what boat and wake you like.

Good Luck
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       11-22-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
"Now when you ask "Can a v-drive boat throw a competitive wake compared to malibu or mastercraft?" I assume you mean a V-drive Wakeboard Boat and not a V-Drive Inboard/outboard Boat."

I would like to see an example of a V-drive I/O.

(Message edited by texastbird on November 22, 2006)
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       11-22-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
A little clarification.....

An inboard boat can be either a direct drive or a V-drive. A direct drive has the motor in the center of the boat with the transmission behind it (towards the stern) and the drive shaft coming out of the transmission directly through the bottom of the hull. Inboards also have rudders.

A V-drive has the motor at the rear of the boat. What makes this a "V-drive" is that in this configuration the transmission is in front of the motor. There is a mechanism called a "V-drive at the end of the transmission. This is more or less a gear box where the drive shaft connects. The drive shaft then comes out of the bottom of the hull back towards the stern of the boat. Thus, the transmission and the drive shaft make a "V".

An inboard/outboard (I/O) has the motor inside the boat, but has an outdrive (transmission/driveshaft in one) coming out through the transom of the boat. I/O's do not have rudders. The outdrive is what steers the boat.

An outboard boat has an all in one motor/tansmission/drive shaft mounted on the transom of the boat. As with an I/O, an outboard does not have a rudder. The all in one motor/outdrive steers the boat.

Therefore, what makes an inboard an inboard is that there are no moving parts mounted on or coming out of the transom. Everything is inside of the boat with the running gear (drive shaft/propeller/rudder) coming from underneath the boat. As mentioned before, inboards are steered using a rudder.

Now then, what was your question?

(Message edited by nauty on November 22, 2006)