Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       02-24-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
So after some time with my current setup, I am just not satisfied with the quality of sound around the boat when parked. I dig how loud it is when I am riding, but we just don't seem to do too much of that anymore.

I picked up a set of image dynamics horns and wanted to incorporate those into a tower box with some 6x9's to improve the sound quality around the boat, but also still keep some of that long distance sound I had with the old setup.

I know the popular 6x9's seem to be these
PIONEER TS-A6991S
http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-TS-A6991S-460W-5-WAY-6x9-SPEAKERS-Pair-NEW_W0QQitemZ5868296223QQcategoryZ58031QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem
I know that Grant runs the Boston ones to save weight on his tower. Wondering if anyone, or Grant, still likes these better than the Pioneers?

I am looking at trying to save some wieght on the tower, but am not to sure about the BA's due to them only being two-ways versus 5 way for the Pioneers. That may not make that much difference though.

Any ideas?
I'll try to find a store that has both to check them out.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-24-2006, 7:40 PM Reply   
The weight saving is due to the small neodymium magnets which produce much stronger magnet fields that standard magnets.

You could also consider these:
Infinity Kappa 693.7i

They have neo magnets plus they are 2 ohm so you could wire them in series to give your amp a break with a 4 ohm load. They will see the same power at the speaker as a pair of 4 ohm speakers wired in parallel but the amp will run a little more efficiently and cooler.
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       02-25-2006, 12:21 AM Reply   
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the response, I was aware of the Neo magnets thats why I was looking at the Bostons. My current setup the 10" speakers have the neos, and they are lighter than the 8" that are up there also.

Have you ever heard the Kappa's, or are you just recommending them due to the Neo magnet? I will keep my eye out for those at the stores also.

I was just playing with the ID horns, this will be fun. The box can be so much smaller due to the size of the horn being much less.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-25-2006, 1:22 AM Reply   
Luke I run 4 of the bostons on my tower and those are the only mid/highs I have and they sound really good to me. I've never had any complaints from anyone. I have 250 watts to each speaker.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-25-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
I like the Bostons for the small size and weight. If weightand space was not a issue I would run the PIONEER TS-A6991S. Its so tight inside my tower box I dont think any other speaker would fit in the but a Neo style speaker.
Crossfire also makes a neo set of speakers, Thats what Jude is gonna run. They are not 6X9's but check and see if crossfire makes Neo 6X9's
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       02-25-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
Hey G, With so many people running heavy tower setups, are you still concerned with the weight of speakers on your tower? I know my current setup is pretty hefty, and the tower has some sway to it, but it is pretty tight with the bimini on it.

I'm just lookin to save some weight on the tower, but not at the cost of sound quality. I'll keep my eye out.
Old     (rmbrinner)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-26-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
Jeff - Is that 250 watts per speaker max or continuous? Those speakers are only rated to handle 60 watts continuous or 200 watts max...
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-28-2006, 4:23 AM Reply   
I ran an Eclipse 1000 watt 2 ch amp to them. Then wired them 2 per channel. Did it the way people on hear said to for the most power out of the amp.