Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-10-2011, 6:17 PM Reply   
Just wanted to give a shout out to those who worked so hard to get this event back to the Seattle area. Great lake for watching, plenty of vendors, parking, perfect weather, gorgeous lady's everywhere and very well organized format. We were told the attendance was the largest at a pro tour event this year and one of the largest turnouts ever.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-10-2011, 6:36 PM Reply   
I read the writeup, but is there any video of the finals runs yet? I wanna see what happened to Harley!
Old     (sparky9)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-10-2011, 8:38 PM Reply   
Wish i could have gone to check it out!!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-10-2011, 9:29 PM Reply   
It was an excellent event, having been to a lot of tour stops it was by far my favorite.

Video and photo gallery should be posted on Wake World later this week.

Here's a sampler.
Attached Images

Old     (Moose99)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-11-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
Remember when everyone was saying that Harley was going to win every contest he entered? Now Phil has won like 3 in a row and is probably going to get the overall Pro Tour title again. Never bet against the Frog.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-11-2011, 9:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose99 View Post
Remember when everyone was saying that Harley was going to win every contest he entered? Now Phil has won like 3 in a row and is probably going to get the overall Pro Tour title again. Never bet against the Frog.
I know, it's crazy! Phil is the man!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
Phil is a Vet. He's been contest riding for years.
Old     (quik876)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2011, 9:36 AM Reply   
You can never say that any one rider will win all the time and at every event. Harley has proved that he definitely can put the top ten on a run for their money, but Phil can turn up the heat 9x outta 10 and perform well under a lot of pressure when it's time to throw down. Knoxville will tell the final tale as far as the Pro Tour. add in Nats and Worlds; and that's a serious recipe for some good performances as the season winds down. This next month and a half is gonna get real interesting for sure.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       07-11-2011, 10:32 AM Reply   
It's definitely interesting. As far as "net hype" goes, Phil has been flying under the radar lately, albeit for a while. All these jaw dropping videos of Harley keep coming out, but Phil is still putting it together on the PWT circuit. Very impressive.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-11-2011, 11:18 AM Reply   
Harley's the most talented rider in the sport right now, but it takes more than talent to take down Phil. When Harley's on, he can bust 4 900s and 4 mobe 5s in one run (http://www.wakeworld.com/news/videos...sters-run.html), but he just doesn't have the cold consistency of "The Iceman."

I love to watch these two go at it because they're just so far ahead of everyone else on the pro circuit that they make their competitors look pathetic. Even Rusty can't challenge them. This rivalry is awesome, and it should continue for years to come because Phil's not even old yet and Harley is only going to get better. It's a great time to be a fan!

I think Harley will ultimately take the torch from Phil, but Froggy's not going down just yet!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-11-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
Happy to see Andrew podium. And it looks like Rathy is back too. If he stays healthy, I think you can count on him giving both Soven and Harley a run for the money.
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
I agree, can't wait to see the Soven vs. Harley rivalry grow.

None of this, 'oh we're all friends on the dock'. I wanna see them go at it!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-11-2011, 7:45 PM Reply   
Rathy killed it in finals.
Old     (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-11-2011, 8:05 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose99 View Post
Harley got the short end of the stick in my opinion when he lost to Phil on Phil's birthday by 1/4 of a point... When he landed 4 nines in a row something no one has ever done even in a video part.

Had he won that event which he should have he wouldn't have pushed it as hard this event to get every trick in to ensure a W.

Harley is the best wakeboarder in the world and so much better than Phil and everyone else out there it isn't even funny, in my opinion...

Last edited by Geoffrey_Isringhausen; 07-11-2011 at 8:07 PM.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-11-2011, 8:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Isringhausen View Post
Harley is the best wakeboarder in the world and so much better than Phil and everyone else out there it isn't even funny, in my opinion...
If he's the best why does he always lose to Phil.

No hate, but the best are the best when it counts. Harley's day will come, but it's clear that we as a group were far to quick to crown Harley as king, and Phil is, as of now, unquestionably the best our sport has to offer. And someone up above was right, if Rathy gets through a healthy season he may very well be a step ahead of both Phil and Harley.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-11-2011, 9:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_crawley View Post
If he's the best why does he always lose to Phil.

No hate, but the best are the best when it counts. Harley's day will come, but it's clear that we as a group were far to quick to crown Harley as king, and Phil is, as of now, unquestionably the best our sport has to offer. And someone up above was right, if Rathy gets through a healthy season he may very well be a step ahead of both Phil and Harley.
Spot on about Phil and Harley, but I don't think Rathy has what it takes to be on their level.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-12-2011, 6:23 AM Reply   
How is it possible that these guys fall in their final run and still win?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
"If he's the best why does he always lose to Phil. "

Always? Phil and Harley battle pretty good.

"but I don't think Rathy has what it takes to be on their level. "

How is Rathy not on their level? You saw that he landed in second place right? Rathy was at the top before he was injured, and this last stop was his come back. Don't count him out. He's a top 5 guy, 1080 club, an innovator, and I bet he does well at the next stop also.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-12-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
I think you can legitimately still make the argument that Harley is best rider in the world simply because he can do more tricks than anyone else in the world hands downs no questions asked, Phil however seems to be a more consistent rider under pressure right now which is what counts on Pro the tour
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-12-2011, 9:44 AM Reply   
"Tricks are for kids" JS in Delta Sessions 2. Just having the most doesnt make you the best.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-12-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
"Tricks are for kids"

Coming from a guy that doesn't do a lot of tricks.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       07-12-2011, 10:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
How is it possible that these guys fall in their final run and still win?
+1
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-12-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
Whose that Jarrod me or Josh? Pretty sure Josh has done for more for getting the Dirty D on the map than almost anyone else.... Buffalow excluded. Riding should be about feel bro not flippy spinny things. But thats just how I and the people that I ride with feel.

Its up to the rider to enjoy what they feel brings them joy from riding. Thus some are techy guys some are style and some are both. Me I just enjoy the basics of the freedom and pull itself. So IMO theres isnt a right answer only whats right for you so like I stated just having the MOST tricks doesnt exactly mean your the best.
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-12-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
I missed the show on Lake Tye (more like Tye Pond, lol) but I did see the setup when I drove by. It's like 1/4 mile from my house. When is the deal on Lk Stevens? That's my go-to lake.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-12-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
@soli, While I typically agree with you that style is a HUGE factor in deciding who is the best rider, how can you not say a guy (Harley) is the best rider when there are probably 3 or 4 tricks that only he can do, and then another 7-8 tricks that he and only one or two other guys can do? Name any other rider that hit 5 different wake to wake nines or switch and regular whirly dicks? I would also argue that there are few people out there that can grab seven's like Harley as well. When his bag of tricks is that much larger than everyone else it is hard to not give him credit as the best wake rider
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-12-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwakerider14 View Post
I would also argue that there are few people out there that can grab seven's like Harley as well.
Not only sevens, but his famous melon poke 900s. Harley isn't just the most technical rider in the game, he's also one of the most stylish riders.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-13-2011, 12:43 PM Reply   
That was not directed at you Nick.

I thought that statement was made in bad taste.
Old    BenjTrogdon            07-13-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
Big Ups to Gordon Harrison who got 2nd place in Jr. Mens
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-13-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
I didnt mean it as a knock on Harley. I think he rips no doubt. It was to say that tricks alone arent to me arent the gauge to greatness. But from his last post he takes his agruement for him being the best to a place were its not just his tricks but how and he does them and what variations. The great thing about this world is we are all different and we all get off on different things. Thus we can have a conversation as to what and why we like things. Im not about hate or bashing anyone anytime espceially when its something that someone else takes pride in. Which no doubt all the top dawgs do.
Old     (Geoffrey_Isringhausen)      Join Date: Sep 2010       07-13-2011, 8:50 PM Reply   
Phil is super good, but he's a robot with how he does his tricks and has been doing the same tricks for... How many years now? Skeez 5, whirlydick, toeside nuc to blind, switch toe 9, and the lat two years the moby dick 5. Don't get me wrong these tricks are some of the hardest in the world, but that's all he ever does...

Harley has how many mobe 5's that he's done in contests, front mobe 5, back mobe 5, switch kgb 5, whirlydick, crow mobe 5 and 7, plus all 4 nines! I'm so glad that Harley realizes there is more to just doing a robot run... If wanted to do that, he would just be able to shut phil down with his eyes closed. He has more tricks in his bag than anyone in the world and does everything with a smoother style than anyone in the world! His time will come to be on the top every contest, but if you think about how many new tricks he's doing in every video that Norbi posts, it would be hard to work on getting everything consistent doing that much new stuff..

At least LF is on top like they should be!!
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-15-2011, 8:50 PM Reply   
Why did pro men not have double ups or a wild card trick? it really seems like the pro women are at a complete standstill with their riding or are possibly regressing. I know amber has some videos of some bangers and that run seemed effortless to her, but this showed how cable is taking over. Girls are actually going for it behind the cable and trying to push the sport. This riding seemed like something that they had to do out of obligation.