Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    deltahoosier            08-20-2002, 10:26 AM Reply   
I am having a horrible time riding away from my backroll. I can get the board back around but I am always falling away from the boat and can not hold on. I used to throw my head toward my left shoulder (as well as look back and never could spot my landing). Now I keep my head looking toward my right shoulder but I guess I still throw my head back and now I can see the water coming around which is awesome. I used to let go with my back hand and now I am trying to hold on with both hands to so I have a chance to hold on.

When my friends throw them and when watching videos of pros, I have seen two variations. My one friend throws it and it looks like his body is layed out going tail over tail. It looks a little more out of control. My other friend throws it in such a way that he looks like he is tucking his head toward his chest (Mexican style?) vs his back shoulder. The pros look like they are throwing their head toward there chest as well, because they are able to tuck and grab it so easy that is seems they have to throw your head toward your chest. I do not see how you can tuck if your board releases toward the tip to tale way which seems to happen if the rider throughs his head back toward the trailing shoulder.

My main questions are:

Which way can I clean up my back roll to allow me come down more on my toe edge so I am not falling away from the boat so much?

Do I clean this up by changing the way I throw my head?

Would leaving the wake with my arms too far from my body be the sole cause?

Thanks for any insight. I know there are tons of back roll threads, but, I have not seen my questions answered.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-22-2002, 7:07 PM Reply   
Sounds like you are throwing the backroll to early off the wake. As you ride up the wake you want to cut extra hard away from the boat. When you release look over your left shoulder(assuming your not goofy foot). You should be able to spot your landing very early. You only need about a 15 foot cut, but make sure you get a lot of pop - enough to go w2w. Don't force it. If you carve off the wake right you will be forced into the roll. Your arms should be normal when you leave the wake. While you are in the air you can pull them in to speed up the rotation.