Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-24-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
i may have already answered my own question but, is it possible to hook up 4 in boat speakers to the deck, use rca's for the tower(fusion 3 ways) the other rca's for a sub amp, and still be able to dim the boat speakers different from the tower with the fader on the deck? oh its an xmd3 deck. i dont have my boat yet so i cant really play around, and if i needed extra stuff i want to get it now, so when the boat shows up, its all ready to go. can anyone help me
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-24-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
Depends on how the fader in the deck works but usually yes. I am sure Grant can answer you question better since he runs one of these, but then again he uses a line driver so the deck is used less for control and more as a source.

Maybe this will work; front speaker outs to all boat speakers, rear line outs to tower, sub outs to sub (if it has them). Check if the deck can handle a 2 ohm load on the front speaker outs. Your sub amp may have a bass level control, use it if it does.
Old    bigdeal            01-24-2005, 8:58 PM Reply   
When you play with the fader you're gonna affect both the high level outs (speaker wire connections to your in-boat speakers) as well as the RCA outs (to your amp and tower speakers, so I think the answer is 'no'. Once you start using the high level outs to drive your in-boat speakers, you're going to run into problems trying to control other speakers down the line from your headunit.
Old    bigdeal            01-24-2005, 9:03 PM Reply   
Mikeski, I would highly recommend against your suggestion "front speaker outs to all boat speakers". That would mean wiring his four in-boat speakers in parallel to yield two channels, which would drop the load to 2ohms on those channels. Most headunits won't handle <4ohms loads.
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-24-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
i was thinking of putting all four on the fronts only but i found an online manual which says:
speaker inpedance 4 ohm (4ohm to 8ohm allowable)
my boat speakers are only the waterproof white clarion things (for now) so im assuming that it will be 2 ohm on the front output if they are all 4 on two outputs, so not good
am i right here.
will a line driver give seperate control? might need to research this...

Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-24-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
sorry the speaker imedance line is refering to the xmd3 deck not the speakers
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-24-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
In that case you can just wire them in series then you get your 8 ohm load. They won't be heard when the tower speaks are fired up anyway.
Old    bigdeal            01-24-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
Biz, not trying to wheel and deal here, 'but', I've got a brand new DEI Viper 6 channel amp that I bought but never used that might solve your problems. This amp could be connected via the preamp outs from your headunit, and also has a passthrough output connection for your sub amp. With this amp in place you could run all four in-boat speakers and both tower speakers each off it's own channel, and pass a single on through to your sub amp. If you're interested, let me know. I'd just like to re-coup what I spent for the amp.
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-24-2005, 10:58 PM Reply   
thanks mike but im "down under" and it'd prolly be expensive by the time i got it here, but you've got a good point. i might need to look into the series/parallel thing, im sure i could get them back to 4 ohm doing that...i hope, either that or i put on a pirotechnics show in my boat shed.
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-24-2005, 11:56 PM Reply   
ok im a stereo idiot. if i use the front rca's for my 1000.2amp(for the tower) and my 100.2 on the back/sub rca's(for the sub) THEN i cannot plug any interior speakers into the deck outs.. right? what in buggeries am i going to do with them, i dont want to add another amp, i dont think ive got the alternator power for it, but i'd like to fade between the interior and the tower. i guess my only option is to leave the sub out of the equation?!?
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-25-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
ok more thinking done, if i series and parallel wire the 4 interior speakers, they can go on the front channels and still be at 4 ohm (right?) then plug my sub amp into the rear rca's, and out of that amp into the tower amp, so that's all on the rear channels(right?) then i can install switches on the remote on wires for both of those amps, and still have the flexibility i was after. I can fade between the boat and tower , turn the tower on or off, and also turn the sub on or off. this must work?!?! now i just need to figure out how to wire them in series and parallel to get the 4 ohm load... Can someone tell me im not going to blow all this gear up. thanks
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-25-2005, 3:12 PM Reply   
worst case scenario you wire everything wrong, the radio/amp will just shut off. Most stereo equipment have protection circuits in place for this type of thing. you could do the series-parallel thing but you'd have very littel power going to them. I'm assuming a 50x4 HU (35x4 RMS) In theroy you'll be showing each speaker 17.5 watts, so realistically proabbly close to 10-15. You will barley be able to hear them
Old     (sherminator)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-25-2005, 7:16 PM Reply   
im thinking the more proffesional way would be a small amp for them, making it 3 amps, them a line driver, so i can turn the gains down a bit and then the whole system wont take too much power, thus no need for a bigger alternator. i dont need an extra battery because the stereo is only used for like 10 minutes when the engine is off and changing riders. plus only 2 out of three amps will be on at a time the interior will be off when the tower is on and vice versa...
Old     (jwhopson)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-13-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
Biz, Adam or anybody.

I want to make sure I understand correctly. I have SAN 2004, XMD3. I have a five channel amp. No other devices, just a sub and six speakers. I was going to double up on two pair so in reality only four speakers. A question that biz I think sort of answers is if I double up, do I lose power, or does the amp compensate? Is there a basic way to front speakers as we know them today, and rear speakers as we know them and on the side a sub that works good. Its the most basic setup and I am having troubles making it work. It seems as though I can't have both rear speakers and sub without putting all speakers on one channel? aRgh....
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-13-2005, 8:13 PM Reply   
I run two amps. One 1500 for the tower and a 600 for the boat. Toggle both amps, on and off. When the tower is on you can't hear the boat speakers anyway. While sitting i turn off the tower amp and turn on the boat amp. This works well for me...