Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-02-2015, 10:01 PM Reply   
Gonna be towing a 21v. A Long way and am thinking I should fold the tower for the tow.

How should I brace the tower ? Any tips appreciated
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2015, 7:11 AM Reply   
Not 100% familiar with that tower, but when we hauled our Supersport with a FCT to Florida and back (from Wisconsin) we just removed the speakers / racks, covered the tower with painters tape (keep bugs from hitting the actual tower) and left it up.

Some friends of ours have a VLX and an illusion tower, they made a PVC goalpost to go under and help hold the weight of the tower.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-03-2015, 7:34 AM Reply   
Brad
I say leave it up. You can cause more damage down unless you take a lot of precaution.
If you leave it down, I would wrap towels wherever anything can puncture the vinyl or the gelcoat and just make extra sure some bumps won't wiggle those towels loose.
I would take your Z5 down and tow with it up. Put the z5 in the boat upside down and again put towels in any puncture areas or just throw it in the moving van. Every time you fill your gas tank, take a spin on the tower knobs to make sure everything is good. Take a roll of visquine (sp?) and wrap your tower and speakers to keep the bugs off.
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       04-04-2015, 8:54 AM Reply   
Agree with recommendations to leave the tower up if possible, remove all the accesories and use tape or plastic wrap on the leading edges to protect from 60+ mph bug strikes. Structurally more sound that way and disturbances from the road will not result in unexpected rubbing or banging on other components/surfaces.

Unless you have a tower down cover that you'd like to leave on while trailering, if thats the case make a couple PCV or wood tower stands (similar to a jack stand) to set the hight to a safe position. Then to make sure it is fully constrained, use some straps or tie downs to hold it snuggly against the stands so it doesn't bounce up. Also watch out for slack and flapping in your cover. Eventually will leave some scuff marks on your gel. I have laid towels between cover and boat before in suspect areas which worked well.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-05-2015, 5:48 AM Reply   
Thanks. I think I'll remove everything off the tower and shrink wrap it.
When I towed it from ny to Louisiana I put a stripe of tape under where the cover contacted the hull and tool speakers off.
Also, I have learned that taking the canvas off z5 helps a ton for wind resistance.
I don't think that if I leave cover on and fold tower down that it would be good for the cover.
I have a spare on the way this week and I'll grab a bunch of shrink wrap.