Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (greg_sa)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
Hi,

I have read alot of info on how to get good "pop", but I have a question (for HS W2W jumps)...

I know that I am letting off my edge when a approach the wake to stand tall, so that is probably why I'm not getting pop. At the moment, in order to stand tall, I level-out the board and loose the edge (and line tension).

What I am wondering is... As I ride up the wake, and start straightening my legs, should I still be leaning back? So at the top of the wake, I am standing fully tall, but leaning back to keep the line tension? Or should my toes be pointing up> (to be able to dig my heels in)

Anyone have a pic of a rider at the top of the wake (side view) that can show his posture?

Any help would be great,
Cheers,
Greg
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       01-18-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Its just timing. If you lose the load when standing tall you are standing tall too early. You can Maintain load while standing tall and popping. You are just allowing the tension in the rope to pull you into a taller position. However, if you get to the tall position too soon, then the tension is lost as you adjust the edge to keep from being pulled onto your face. thats why you wait til the last possible nano-second to stand tall. Thats why you hear "wait on it" all the time.
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-18-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
you want to keep your edge all the way through. You can let off a little bit, but make sure you dont flatten. Watch some videos of pro riders, and watch their spray. It doesnt stop until they are in the air. Like jason said, its timing too. When you get it the first time, you'll feel it in your legs. Kinda like launching off your first D-up. Its an amzing feeling.
Old     (greg_sa)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-18-2007, 10:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips... I have felt the "Pop" before, but its always been when I haven't stood tall (thats how I kept the strong edge) - but because my knees were bent, the board basically shot my knees up and I lost balance.

My problem is holding enough edge into the wake, and then standing tall.

All in all, I think I just need to focus on standing tall and keeping line tension.

I'll see how things go this weekend, hopefully. I am also getting used to the wake of a different boat (outboard small wake vs SN2001).
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-22-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
practicing edgingthrough the wake without the jump and let your knees absorb the wake. Then do the exact same thing but stand tall. It should work.
Old     (marbles)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-23-2007, 6:59 PM Reply   
Did Jason say, "lose your load"?
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-24-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
Yes he did. No good can come from losing your load to quick.
Old     (khollin1)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-12-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
that's right, you gotta "wait on it" before you lose that load