Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-06-2006, 7:31 PM Reply   
I'm looking at purchasing a 94 nautique. The boat has 500 hours on it and we took it out with the dealer today. The engine is the PCM 5.8 EFI. When running it seemed to be idling a little high right around 1000 rpm. Is that normal or high? Also can anyone tell me the HP rating on the motor I've looked around and my head is spinning it seems like there were a few engine options that year. The boat doesn't have the owners manual does anyone have an idea of how to get my hands on one? Okay thats the last question. Thanks
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-06-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
The idle sounds a little high. It should be about 600 rpm with the boat in gear. My '92 PCM 5.8 with a carb is 285hp, so i'd guess the EFI is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300hp. PDF manuals for PCM motors can be found at http://www.correctcraftfan.com/reference/

DKJ
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-06-2006, 9:47 PM Reply   
Kyle,

Be a little careful with the 94 Nautiques. Most of the 94s came with an Edelbrock derivative TBI one year only injection system that proved to be quite problematic. There are a few cases where they run extremely well but I know of several cases where they never ran well. 1,000RPM is definately too high, should be between around 600RPM as Derek suggested definately not over 800rpm.

Before I bought my 1995 my buddy on the promo team told me to avoid 1994 altogether for this reason. You have already identified a question in this motor so it might be best to move on to other boats. Just my opinion.
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-07-2006, 5:45 AM Reply   
I'm not quite ready to give up on the boat yet. The dealer is willing to work with us until were happy with the boat. They are a malibu dealer and don't know much about nautiques and their engines. Before I were to buy it though I would make sure it's idling around 600-800. Is there any other problems with the 94 year sport nautiques or sport nautiques in general that I should be aware of?

Also has anyone put a tower this model boat specifically? How difficult is it?
Old     (skier12)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-07-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
Also I forgot to mention the engine was smoking a little when we were out even after the engine was warmed up. The dealer said it was because the engine was running rich. Does this sound right? Given the fast idle and a little bit of smoke does it sound like the engine needs a tune up, or does it sound like a bigger problem?
Old     (jbenbri)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-07-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
Check www.skidim.com They have parts for that engine. Particularly the 94 EFI items. Also can answer all your questions.
Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
Kyle,
I have a 93 Sport Nautique with the 5.8 Boss which is rated at 305hp. My idle is around 700rpm.

I put a tower on mine. I glassed in backer plates underneath the deck for extra strength.