Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (smokedawg311)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-13-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
So i got a chance to ride behind my buddie's MB the other day for the first time. It's usually not my style to post up on here about boats, but i was seriously impressed by this ride. I've ridden behind a pretty good mix of boats (wakesetters, X-series, Centurions, SANTEs and tiges) and this boat is sick period. there were 5 of us in the boat and i felt like we could have fit 5 more comfortably. the wake was intimidating with stock balast to say the least. i actually had to relax my riding style to get the pop that i was used to struggeling for behind other boats. If you're in the market, definitely check this one out.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-13-2011, 6:28 PM Reply   
My buddy got the first 2012 TWB 23 out of the factory. We spent a week on it at Shasta last month. So I know exactly what you are talking about. It is a very nice package and throws a mean wake (stock).

[IMG][/IMG]

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2011, 6:35 PM Reply   
Has anyone been in both a 21 and 23 foot MB? How do the wakes compare?
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-13-2011, 6:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
Has anyone been in both a 21 and 23 foot MB? How do the wakes compare?
Ask IXFE, he has 21 footer and his buddy has the 23...
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-14-2011, 5:51 AM Reply   
I'm looking forward to hearing a 21 v 23 comparison as well. I've spent several hours on a 2012 TC and the stock surf wake is very good. One salesman says the 21 wake is better for surf (stock). Another says the 23 is better. Either way, I'm guessing it's close.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-14-2011, 7:01 AM Reply   
I've had the 21 TWB and the 23 TWB and in my opinion the 23 TWB surf wake is a lot better. So so much better. The 23 TWB is a little more side to side finicky than the 21 TWB but both wakes are very solid. I'd say for surfing, the 23 TWB is much better... but for wakeboarding, the 21 footers are sooo easy to dial in and are not side to side sensitive at all. To clarify, I am not saying the 23 TWB is overly side to side sensitive but the 21's are not at all. I never had to ask people to move in the 21 as the wake was clean no matter what. In the 23 you just have to make sure it's close to centered. All this being said, for me the 23 is the way to go. Absolutely love the size interior in mine and the surf and wakeboarding wakes, as well as the ride. Handles chop very well and is a super solid boat. Will most likely go for a 23 TWB again next year!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-14-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
I have loved my 21's. But if I had the garage space, I'd get a 23. No question. It's only $5K more and it's just a beast. There so much room and storage in it. And yes, the surf wave is amazing. I couldn't tell the difference in the wakeboard wake.

My dealer has a 2011 TWB 23 for sale at $55K. Every time I see it, I think, "Damn, that's a lot of boat for the money!"

Last edited by ixfe; 08-14-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-15-2011, 6:49 AM Reply   
Not to mention my 2012 demo loaded up for under 60k
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-15-2011, 7:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
My dealer has a 2011 TWB 23 for sale at $55K. Every time I see it, I think, "Damn, that's a lot of boat for the money!"
Agreed.... but its said isn't it? We're pumped about a 23' boat just under 60k.... anyways.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the MBs but their towers just look dated (still better than new MCs).... but that is my only complaint, the rest of the boat is a 10
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-15-2011, 7:13 AM Reply   
Nick,
funny, but I appreciate the MB tower. It's mega tall and is easy to drill & run wires if I want to add additional speakers or a light bar - compared to one of those swoopy towers found on malibu, tige, etc......

Call me a Luddite, but two big draws to MB for me over Tige & Centurion (which are the other two manufacturers I'm looking at for next year) are the simple analog gauges and the tower. I don't trust the computerized dash screens longevity and I like a tower that's easy to work on should I decide to add accoutrements.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-15-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
Ryan, that started this post, rode on my 2012 23' TWB. I love seeing new guys come out on a boat and rail in with no wake check and just fly through the sky. Once I come back to pick them up from the big crash, they always say the same thing, holy $%^& that is the biggest wake I have seen. It is crazy how good this boat it. Had family day yesterday, (6) adults, (6) kids and still plenty of room. Surf wake is amazing and actually allowed every adult to surf. Of course the wake for wakeboarding is insane. Have not even had to weight the boat down yet it is so good. I have been working with MB for 5 years and can say this years' greatly surpasses the years past. I actually am loving the size of the 23' over the 21' and I think the wakes are very comparable. I have not had one rider be like is just ok. They all can not believe that I am not hiding weight around the boat.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-15-2011, 9:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas View Post
Agreed.... but its said isn't it? We're pumped about a 23' boat just under 60k.... anyways.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the MBs but their towers just look dated (still better than new MCs).... but that is my only complaint, the rest of the boat is a 10
Are you asking if it's sold? I don't know. Maybe. It it still on OIB so I assumed it was still there. But perhaps they forgot to take down the ad. I'm sure there are other 11's out there for very good deals this time of year.

Either way, killer boat. Ian's boat for under $60 is a deal too... lots of new goodies in the 2012's and his is loaded.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-15-2011, 10:02 AM Reply   
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekicknicholas

Are you asking if it's sold? I don't know. Maybe. It it still on OIB so I assumed it was still there. But perhaps they forgot to take down the ad. I'm sure there are other 11's out there for very good deals this time of year.

Either way, killer boat. Ian's boat for under $60 is a deal too... lots of new goodies in the 2012's and his is loaded.
No its sad in the way that we've all grown somewhat use to the prices - 60k for a 23' is CRAZY!... but is a "good" deal to us now.
I remember only maybe 6 years ago, looking a loaded Moomba Mobious V with my dad - year end deal, 100% loaded was under 30k OTD. My guess is a base/barebones mobious costs 55k.
... at 5% for inflation (very generious) the boat should cost 39k.... but hey, if people will pay, then sell away.
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-15-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
I'm actually a big fan of the MB tower. It's rock solid and fits well with the lines of the boat.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-15-2011, 11:01 AM Reply   
6 years ago gas was $1.95 , answers alot of the questions when PCM engines go from SC to CA, huge increase
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-15-2011, 9:42 PM Reply   
I can comment on the 21 vs 23 debate. My personal opinion was that the 21ft wake was great for surfing and wakeboarding, but the 23ft is where the money is!
We took both boats out for demo last week, and rode them back to back, going from the 21 to the 23 was a pretty big difference. I did notice that with only 3 people in the boat we did have to move my wife around during the demo, but its such a small price to pay for that amazing wakeboard wake.

I see a 23ft WB in my future (right Jeff?)
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-15-2011, 9:45 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a MB 23 dialed in for surfing with all ballast hidden? I have a friend in the market for a new boat for surfing and I really dig
the looks of the MB's as well as the price. I have seen CIPHER's posts and the wave looks great but I also know he has some sacks around the boat that are not hidden, or am I incorrect?
Ideally looking for something that you can tuck all the weight away and make push button rather than using pumps.
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-15-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhart73 View Post
I have seen CIPHER's posts and the wave looks great but I also know he has some sacks around the boat that are not hidden, or am I incorrect?
Yes, you are correct, you're incorrect.

All of my sacks are underneath seats or in the rear locker.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-16-2011, 5:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhart73 View Post
Does anyone have a MB 23 dialed in for surfing with all ballast hidden? I have a friend in the market for a new boat for surfing and I really dig
the looks of the MB's as well as the price. I have seen CIPHER's posts and the wave looks great but I also know he has some sacks around the boat that are not hidden, or am I incorrect?
Ideally looking for something that you can tuck all the weight away and make push button rather than using pumps.
Any idea if you added 600 lbs or so to make up the difference between the stock ballast on the 21 and 23 if there would still be a diffrence?
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-16-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
@JD, the MB's have tons of room to hide sacks because the rear lockers are open to the storage areas along the sides under the side seats, there is NOT a wall of any kind blocking, you can actually get into the locker and lay down with your feet going forward to the front of the boat, so there is no reason he would have sacks out
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-16-2011, 8:20 AM Reply   
Last night on my friend's 2012 21' Tomcat we had an additional 800 lb bag in the port locker, 400 lb bag (filled 2/3) under the port seats and 400 lbs hidden under the bow.
Lockers are huge. He's going to plump it all in this winter and run it via rocker switches.
Old     (bass10after)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-07-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
what a great looking boat. i like how they've opened up the cockpit area as opposed to the previous model that felt cramped inside.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-07-2011, 8:52 AM Reply   
I love the MB tower with integrated bimini. I like the look and the function. It's very impressive. Tall. Sturdy. Great bimini shade. The swivel racks are nice too.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-07-2011, 8:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSqueakyWheel View Post
Last night on my friend's 2012 21' Tomcat we had an additional 800 lb bag in the port locker, 400 lb bag (filled 2/3) under the port seats and 400 lbs hidden under the bow.
Lockers are huge. He's going to plump it all in this winter and run it via rocker switches.
Where did you hide 400lbs under the bow? Was it lead? I was crawling around in one over the weekend and I don't see any way to actually "hide" a fat sack up front.
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-07-2011, 9:13 AM Reply   
fly high water bag under the center filler cushion. I think there's room under the actual forward bow cushions, but I'll have to recheck.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-07-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
Gotcha that makes sense. I pulled all the cushions out up front and there just isn't anywhere to actually hide a bag up under them. Under the bow filler cushion is the perfect spot though.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-07-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
Gotcha that makes sense. I pulled all the cushions out up front and there just isn't anywhere to actually hide a bag up under them. Under the bow filler cushion is the perfect spot though.
I know there are a few MB's out there with 500 lbs. hidden beneath the floor of the bow. Not bags... one is sand. The other is concrete. Just saying, if you are willing to add permanent weight up there, it's been done.

Personally, I think that's crazy. I like my boat and the wake just the way it is.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-07-2011, 9:26 AM Reply   
I am not a huge fan of the permanent weight solutions. I don't have a MB so it really doesn't matter. I was just curious mostly. He said hidden so it peaked my interest as to where the heck they hid it is all.

DBC I have been meaning to ask you. Why are you selling your boat? Getting the first 2013?
Old     (Shorpy)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-07-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
Gotcha that makes sense. I pulled all the cushions out up front and there just isn't anywhere to actually hide a bag up under them.
This is incorrect.

Fly High's 750# V bag fits under the front cushions. If filled to bursting, it will raise the front cushions a couple of inches. Filled to 600ish pounds it's completely hidden and you would not know it's there unless you lifted the cushions.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       09-08-2011, 8:43 AM Reply   
You hid a 750lb bag under the front cushions of a 2012 F21? With the batteries up there and what not I just don't see how that is possible. I guess I need to look at it some more.
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-08-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorpy View Post
This is incorrect.

Fly High's 750# V bag fits under the front cushions. If filled to bursting, it will raise the front cushions a couple of inches. Filled to 600ish pounds it's completely hidden and you would not know it's there unless you lifted the cushions.
I'm not surprised. I was looking at the space under the bow cushions and was wondering if that bag would fit. Thanks.

Bruizza, the batteries are in a tiny compartment built into the fiberglass under the forward center walkway on the 2012. There is no room for anything but 2 batteries in that compartment.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-14-2011, 6:16 AM Reply   
I have ( 2 ) 2011 Tomcats with ZR6 409's for under 50, both right around the 100hr mark
Old     (muurph84)      Join Date: May 2010       09-14-2011, 11:27 AM Reply   
do you have a link? are they 21's or 23's?
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-14-2011, 11:38 AM Reply   
both 21's, PM sent
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-14-2011, 8:17 PM Reply   
interesting, when I posted this morning I made a sublime note that there were 1979 looks at this thread, when I glanced at it I thought yep that was the year that my brother graduated and it stuck, now it's way over 200 with only 3 post since, sorry to be so off topic, but alot of looks