Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old    r3612            12-01-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
anybody using one? I have Boss racks and they are solid so I would assume their mirror mount is as well. ALso at a great price point for sure. What boat is it on? Looking for a mirror mount for my Centurion with the proflight swoop.

Thanks
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-03-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
boss accesories are all great. The mirror mount is a great product as well
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-04-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
I have 2 of them on my boat and I would not recommend the articulating mount to anyone. I have already broke both sides off, the problem is where the set screw is at the articulating point, there might be 3/8" of threads there that hold the two pieces together and that just isn't enough with aluminum. I guess if you put a heli coil in there after you drilled the hole all the way through it would be fine but would look like crap.

Here is what I am talking about.
Upload
Upload
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-04-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
Car- How heavy are those mirrors with the screens in them, and did that happen while you were on the water or while you were towing with your trailer?

I have the same one, just looking to take a few more precautions, maybe separate while in tow or even bonding the two pieces together.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-06-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
Shawn- I don't think they are but maybe another pound or two with all of the carbon fiber and the lcd screens in them so I don't think weight was an issue. They broke while in the water, it wasn't really from hitting hard just from pulling the small thread area free, I even changed the allen to a longer bolt so more threads would catch but it is starting to strip as well.

Like I said the best way to make this mount useable would be to drill the hole all the way through and put in a heli-coil, run a bolt all the way to the other side and put some kind of acorn nut on the backside so it doesn't look so bad.
Old    DRA            12-06-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
I recomend Wakeair's mirror mount. I am getting one this year at the boat show. Clean, stylish, and solid.

www.wakeair.com
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-06-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Sampson. The thing is a rock.

Upload
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-06-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
Here is my fundimential industrys.com Carbon Fiber mirrior mount
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-06-2006, 10:31 PM Reply   
you're showin off that carbon fiber arm again Grant!
...and I'm still waiting on mine!:-) ha ha
ha!
Old     (pyramid_1)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-07-2006, 1:07 AM Reply   
I think that car is leaving out the most important part of the story about the mirror arm. It really looks like he drilled and placed two set screw in the other part of the mirror arm that he did not show. You could tell by the two gouges that were left on the part that is shown in the picture. By doing this he actually made something like a steering wheel puller and buy tightening the two set screws he pulled the threads out of the center hole. If i am wrong i apologize but that's what it looks like to me.
Old     (super_air)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-07-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
Alex- The set screws I used are so small they would not have enough leverage to pull out the center threads. I tried the set screws on one side, the passengers side, and the drivers side was left alone but they both stripped out.

I like the Boss products and I have plenty of them on my boat I am just saying that this one is a bad design and could be done in a better way. Would I buy these mounts again, probably not, would I buy some of their other products, absolutely.