Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-02-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
I was inspired by a previous post to install a shower since the new boats don't have them.
A shower is a must for our family because my kids love sand and they get it everywhere! Heres how I did it.

Parts, RV on demand pump $75, assorted pipe fittings $35.
Upload
Paint to hold off the rust
Upload

1. Locate the best places for tie-in.

Upload
Upload
Upload

2. Mount pump and valve manifold to accesible panel.
Upload
Upload

3. Install panel and run hoses.
Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload

I still need to intall the hose to the shower head and wire the switch but thats the easy stuff.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-02-2008, 9:16 PM Reply   
What do you mean new boats dont come with them. All the Wakecrafts do its just that they are up in the front with a stand alone bildge. But none the less looks sharp, good job. My kids are the same way and it saves a lot of hassle after the weekend is over (cleaning the carpet etc.) Besides for the first month or so of the season it help take the chill off when you get in the cold water. Just fill up the skin or the suit, takes the edge off.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-02-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
Kevin I knew you would post something like that! You wakecraft guys!
No point in having sandy kids walk through the boat to get to the shower. Don't know how the bilge will hold up to dirt and sand over time.
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-02-2008, 9:32 PM Reply   
Hey Newty how was the maiden voyage? And what would it cost me to have you throw one of those in mine?
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-02-2008, 9:37 PM Reply   
Seriously is it not an option anymore for boats (at least outside CA)? I only inquire because of the change in law here that says you cant have a shower at the stern of the boat anymore. Sory about the WC drop I wasnt meaning anything by it. How much did you save though by doing the way you did vs. buying a pre-fab'd one and installing that?

By the way congrats on the boat it looks great with those colors. I saw one being made today with same color scheme.

(Message edited by deltaboy on April 02, 2008)
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-02-2008, 9:45 PM Reply   
Why can't you have a shower at the stern of the boat?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-02-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
Dan, no more than $1000. seriously we can do it anytime just get parts.

Kevin I believe the prefab is over $300 and they are ugly
This one cost me about $100.
Don't worry about it Kevin. I thought about WC when I wrote the post but left it out. I really did think it was funny no worries. All in good fun.

(Message edited by newty on April 02, 2008)
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-02-2008, 10:05 PM Reply   
J because of CO. But I would think it'll change for boats with the cats. by the end of the year.

Your set up seems much more durable too Ryan. A shower is a shower to me, besides it hidden. Have a blast this summer with the new ride.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-02-2008, 10:11 PM Reply   
Just a thought... Could you place the pull of the hot in a way where it would pull the water out of the block in an
a) low
and
b) post cooling section of the block.

I haven't taken a look close enough on the spots on my block to see if that low there is a "hot" water section.

where you could use it to winterize? Maybe 2 birds one pump.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-02-2008, 10:24 PM Reply   
Scott thats what I did the third and fourth pics. The 3rd pic is the hot water from the block. The fourth pic is the manifold. It has a T with valve on both sides. One valve has a plug in it for draining the shower and block and the other goes to the pump (red hose). The blue hose comes off after the impeller for cold water. You adjust the valves to get the right temp.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
So the pump is for the hot water only, correct? This looks pretty simple! Thanks for posting!
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-09-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
Timmy, The cold water is pulled from the discharge of the the impeller. The hot water is pulled from the block on the bottom starboard side. Both hoses then go into valves then combine into the pump, then discharging to a hose to the shower head. The valves are just like your faucet on your sink. Turn the hot valve until hot water comes out then turn the cold valve to moderate desired temp. Hope this helps.

(Message edited by newty on April 09, 2008)
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-09-2008, 8:35 PM Reply   
Maybe a dumb question, but why do you need a separate pump if you are tapping into the side of the block and behind the raw pump. Would'nt the pump flow more than what could be drawn out of the side of the block?
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-09-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
Never seen a shower with out one. So I don't know
Old     (mattbyrne)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2008, 6:08 AM Reply   
Where did you get those fittings and hose? What are those fitting called?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
I follow you now Ryan! Thanks! I might have to try this, just need to figure out how on my boat since the spot where you tapped into the hot water has a knock sensor in it on mine instead of just a drain plug. Wonder if I could tap in under the manifold or something?
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
Timmy, tap into the other side of the engine. There is only one knock sensor on the starboard side of the engine. The port should have only a plug. Now, that was my 24Ve and haven't checked out the RZ2 in that much detail.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-10-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
Scooter, I've heard that you don't need a pump. I'd put one in my boat, but I'm in Texas and would use it maybe 3 or 4 days a year.

here's another DIY link:
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/84572.html
again with a pump, but I still would try it without.
Old     (etakk7)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-10-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
boatersoutlet.com has the Heatercraft shower for $199 right now, marked down from $257
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
Dave, I have knock sensors on both sides of my engine. I think they changed that for '07 and I'm sure your RZ2 has that as well.
Old     (shredhead)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-11-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
That's a very nice install! Let us know how it works? From my experience most of the showers don't work all that well. Hard to keep the temp warm and constant.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-11-2008, 9:13 AM Reply   
Will do.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-11-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
Timmy!, that sucks... :-( Was thinking about doing this also.. But I guess a cold shower is better than getting sand into the boat. :-) I'll have to check my boat out tonight....
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       04-11-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
Im sure your exhaust manifolds have drains on them too. They will work!