Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-23-2012, 4:23 PM Reply   
If you could pick up any of the following boats for $50k which one would you pick and why?

07 Mastercraft X-Star
08 Malibu Wakesetter VLX
08 Super Air Nautique 210 TE

Assume all boats have less than 100 hours and have recently been serviced and fixed if necessary. Essentially as if they were new.

I like the VLX interior seating layout and have ridden behind it so know what to expect (the wife is scared of the taller wake with the wedge down so that's not really a selling point for me). I also like the fact that it has an integrated cooler.

I like the SAN because of the strong looks and the finish out. Never ridden behind one of these but I'm not a wake snob so it doesn't really matter (at least not yet!!!)

I like the X-Star because it looks like the best built boat out of the three. No cooler although it does seem to have plenty of storage space. Interior room seems a bit crammed for a 22' boat though. At least in the main area. I also have never ridden behind this boat and I'm wondering if the lack of a wedge or hydrogate is a con against this boat? Does it need it?

Let me know your thoughts.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-24-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
I was in this exact position a while back....$50k to spend and not knowing what to buy. I had alot of people here tell me about MB and then I did my own research, I think you may want to add a brand new MB to that list and at least look at them. New boat vs 5 year old boat for same money = at least something to think about.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       04-24-2012, 11:23 AM Reply   
That is an incredible list to choose from. Can't go wrong with any of them. Can you get out and demo them? Do they all have the same basic engine or does one or more of them have an upgraded engine? What about extra ballast that is already plumbed in?
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-24-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
Id add an axis on that list, like a year or two old. If you're looking at vlx it only makes sense to me.
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-24-2012, 12:15 PM Reply   
i like the exterior styling of xstar, but interior of Malibu. Nautique is always going to be a solid boat, but not as roomy. Of course, we don't know condition of boats or features.

You should buy all 3. LOL

honestly, between those 3 I would go nautique. Between current year boats, I would go with Malibu.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-24-2012, 1:09 PM Reply   
Great list. I say roll the dice.

By the way the xstar should have a built in cooler under the farthest forward cushion. the Xstar really dosen't have much room in the cockpit compared to most boats. Hell the picklefork X2 has more room behind the windshield then the Star. That said there is nothing sexier then a slammed star.

I would agree with Scott about the MB if you are on the west coast. Might be tougher to find back east.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       04-24-2012, 2:40 PM Reply   
I sent him a PM on my 2012 MB F21 demo ( in his range for a 5 yr old) , might be sold but not yet, no response....just crickets, it is in SC today, TN this weekend, and will be in NC thereafter
Old     (Bamabonners)      Join Date: Jul 2011       04-24-2012, 7:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surffresh View Post
I sent him a PM on my 2012 MB F21 demo ( in his range for a 5 yr old) , might be sold but not yet, no response....just crickets, it is in SC today, TN this weekend, and will be in NC thereafter
Maybe he is not interested... Just sayin
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-24-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
id go with whichever boat has the bigest engine!
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-24-2012, 4:46 PM Reply   
All three are great boats,but like was said above you could add MB and Axis to the list.Do you plan to surf or just wakeboard?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-24-2012, 5:37 PM Reply   
Buddy, all I can say is I wish I were in your position right now. All those boats are great including the MB don't know anything about Axis so keeping my mouth shut on that one. Like someone above said each of these boats will have it's strong points.

It's really up to as Nautique Malibu and mastercraft are highly esteemed boat manufacturers. i have ridden behind each and couldn't tell you which one to get. like i said i just wish i were in your position to be able to pick between these rides. have a great summer man and let us know which one you choose and make sure to post the pics.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-24-2012, 5:32 PM Reply   
Starting in 2006, Malibu started offering the Power Wedge. So you can have it up for your wife and have it down to where you like it with a push of a button (or with the Maliview, ride preference programmed in for everything). I think that does make it a selling point. Even the floating wedge isn't hard to deploy and put up depending if the rider wants it or not.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-24-2012, 5:59 PM Reply   
I'm going with the X-Star as long as it checks out this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted!!!

Brett, you are right the X-Star does have a cooler up front (although it doesn't seem to be very big when compared to the VLX).

All, wife is dead set on the list above so MB/Axis wasn't even an option. I plan on wakeboarding and may get into wake surfing later on down the road (grew up in PR and haven't surfed in over 10 years so that would be awesome).
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-24-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
be advised that X Star takes more driver input to keep the bow from getting swamped by rogue rollers when at rest and when coming off of plane... you will learn to overcome it, so it will eventually be a non issue, but it may freak the wife out if she is not an experienced captain.

all three will throw adequate long line wakes, but many say the X star throws a sub standard surf wake.

the 210 will be easiest to plum piggy back sacks on to the existing ballast so you will never have to mess with sacks and pumps in the future. the hydrogate is essentially useless expect to help getting on plane when sack out.

the VLX will have the most tuneable wake with the wedge.

the X star will be the most difficult to add additional board racks to if you plan on having a boat full.

of the three, i would opt for the malibu, and that is coming from a guy whom owns a nautique 230...
Old     (justinlkgb)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-24-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
Interesting post...I find myself in about the same position, but not quiet as much to spend. I too am looking at all 3 except Supra instead of the natuique. have never been behing a natique either.
Only have test driven the Malibu, but like you I will mainly wakeboard....but I have kids so I am leaning away from the star and have an eye out for the other two. having never driven one, it may only take a test drive to change that though. have an older mastercraft now.

Otherwise I would go for the malibu.

good luck!!!
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-24-2012, 8:18 PM Reply   
if you are thinking about surfing, you will be disappointed in the wave the xstar will make, tons of weight and really small wave. all those boats rock, the vlx is the way to go out of the bunch for both wakeboarding and surfing without having to sack it out to surf, i had bu's and my friend has an 08 xstar, great wakeboarding boat, but not the best all around boat for space. i have no experience with mb, none in our area, but the 210 would be my second choice. I really think malibu has a better all around market and pulls a much larger demand when you are looking to sell. good luck
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-25-2012, 3:21 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies! Keep em coming! Apparently the guy with the X-Star doesn't want to sell it after we already agreed that we had a deal (won't return my phone calls). So... back to square one?

I really like the looks of the X-Star as I think it's the most unique out of all of them. I guess around here you see a lot of Wakesetters so maybe I'm trying to be different? Again, the downsides being mediocre surf wake when compared to the other two (which I don't surf just yet so not too worried about that) and interior room behind the windshield.

I think the one thing I don't like about the Nautique is the fact that it comes with an Igloo cooler. It's almost as if they built the boat and said oh wait we forgot the cooler. Let's just throw something in!

The VLX is a great boat inside and out and behind it. I feel like as far as exterior looks go though it can look dated pretty quickly (no offense to anyone here just my opinion). Who knows? Maybe I'll end up with a VLX in the end (its what I started looking for in the first place).

Only time will tell...
Old     (smiller)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-25-2012, 3:34 PM Reply   
We recently sold a 2006 xstar.. We loved the space and had alot of un used space, left for storage. You can surf the star, you will be close to the platform, however, with added weight, I have heard the pocket moves back. I never noticed "swamping" being a huge problem. If you will mostly wakeboarding, hard to beat the star, IMO. I cant speak on the others, as I have never owned a correct craft or malibu.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
My 2 cents...

X-Star: This is one sexy boat; very striking on the water. The 40th anniversary editoin (circa 2008) is only of the hottest looking boats I've ever seen. But as others have mentioned, it is too small inside and too one-dimentional making it probably the least practical.

SAN210: Also a great looking boat. The interior is unique; for some people it's a real differentiator, but for others it's a turn off. Only you can decide. The downside to rear facing interior is that it is generally less comfortable than the others and offers less storage under them. But the wake is typically highlited as steep, but great. Lots of people love this boat.

VLX: Here you get the only boat with ballast in four places (rear lockers + belly + bow). The bow ballast takes away storage under the bow seats, but you can get it without bow ballast if that's a deal breaker. Also wedge, which helps to shape the wake. Interior is probably the most spacious of these three boats. If I were you, I'd shop for a 2009 VLX that way you get the current hull/body style, the Illusion XS tower (which I think looks better than the Illusion X), Maliview, 100" beam, etc. My dealer recently had a really nice '09 VLX for $49,500. So you should be able to find one in your price range. That way you boat won't look "dated" as you pointed out.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-25-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
If surf wake is a priority none of the boats would be at the top of my list. Especially the Xstar.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-25-2012, 11:46 PM Reply   
One good thing you have going for you... you have excellent taste in boats. I think those are my 3 favorite boats....you can't go wrong with any choice.

One thing for sure is ride behind 2 of the boats. Boat 1 to ride is the SANTE, boat 2 is either the vlx or xstar because both boats have very similar wakes when unweighted and weighted. The xstar doesn't turn well, the bu turns awesome. The Sante is a must-demo because the wake shape is very different than the other 2.
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-26-2012, 3:15 AM Reply   
Have limited experience with the star & vlx so won't chime in on these other than to say, both are really nice rides. Got an 08 210 and pretty much love everything from the styling, ergonomics and drive-ability etc ... but most importantly the wake. Very clean and easily tunable to suit all rider levels ... super good weighted up!!! Agree you should demo all 3 boats to find the one that suits you best. My one and only gripe with the 210, 7 or more peeps in the cockpit and it gets a little crowded. Usually limit my crew to max 6 so not an issue for me. Check out this vid for a good look at the wake. Good luck! http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=4...?v=B0S8b2hC3KA
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       04-26-2012, 3:28 AM Reply   
Sorry wrong link. Try this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0S8b2hC3KA
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-26-2012, 8:13 PM Reply   
Anyone got any leads on any of these boats for around $50k?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-26-2012, 8:53 PM Reply   
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/2951161500.html 23' too big? You at least get a trip to vegas to check it out. And you can name it creamsicle.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-28-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
I'm open for bigger boats just haven't been successful in finding them in my price range. LOL yeah saw that one. I'm looking to stick with standard colors like white, black, gray etc.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-07-2012, 1:20 PM Reply   
I ended up picking up an 08 220 SAN TE this past weekend with only 70 hours on it!
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-07-2012, 5:14 PM Reply   
Good to hear man. Hope you enjoy it. Post some pics when you get a chance.