Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rickykamberra)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-27-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
I got the boat out of storage and I'm working on getting that annual clean up so I can be ready to hit the lake. I wanted to throw down on 2 new subs this year. I have two Pyle 10" subs in boxes in the boat already so the installation will be easy - just need to get the new subs and hook them up.

I have a question though. First off, let me say I know nothing about sub wiring and stereo installation. I'm not sure what the difference betweent the single coil and dual voice coils and the ohms and how this will affect my installation. I know that the subs I currently have can be removed from the boxes and it has one positive and one negative connection the speaker so I wanted to stay in that same set-up for installation purposes.

I guess my question is what type of sub can i get to replace these and is what I have considered a single coil?
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-27-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
Correct, if you only have one positive and one negative connection you have single coils. Do not let single/dual coil be your deciding factor. It is all going to depend what you are amping them up with. Post up your amp setup and then I will better be able to assist you.
Old     (rickykamberra)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-27-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
It's a 1000W multi-channel amp. It's pushing the 2 300W single coil subs.

That's about all I know about it without looking at it.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-27-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
Yeah we would need to know your amps watts versus ohm load so post which amp you have and we can sort it out. The subs ohm rating will allow you to potentiate your amplifiers output.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-27-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
If its multi channel then its likely 2 OHM stable so in that case you would want either 2 4ohm SVC (wire the subs in parallel) or 2 2ohm DVC's (series the VC's then parallel the subs back to the amp) this would show your amp a 2 ohm load which is the way you have been running it if your current subs are in fact SVC's at 4 ohms.

This kinda feels like a word problem where the correct answer is "not enough information" lol
Old     (rickykamberra)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-27-2010, 9:47 AM Reply   
Ok - found this online. This is all it shows. It's a Pyle 1000W Marine Amp. (it's budget friendly)

250 Watts x 4 Output
500 Watts x 2 Bridged Output (250W x 2 + 500W x 1)
Dual Variable Hi/Lo Electronic Crossover Network
Dual Variable Bass Boost
Power On LED Indicator
LED Protection Indicator
Blue LED Level Display
Tri-Mode Configurable
Variable Input Level (Gain) Control
Thermal, Overload, Short Circuit Protection
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-27-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
Rick-

Now we need model numbers off of your woofers. SIngle voice coil woofers still come in a few different impedances. Can you get this group the woofer model numbers? There might also be an impedance spec stated somewhere on the back of the woofer, 4-ohms, 2-ohms, or 8 ohms. the ohm symble is Omega; looks like a horseshoe...

Phil
Kicker
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-27-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
If it is the 4 channel amplifier found here http://www.pyleaudio.com/manuals/PLMRA220-420.pdf then you want to purchase either a pair of 4 ohm single coil subs OR a pair of 2-ohm dual voice coil subs and hook the coils together in series to give you a 4 ohm load. It says your amp is stable down to 4 ohms when bridging the channels together(which is what you want to be doing, like the second picture down on page 10).

So in closing, go with either 4 ohm single coils, or 2 ohm dual coils.

Nic
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-27-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
IMO, build new boxes. A well built/designed box can make or break a sub.....
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-27-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
The RMS on that amp is

35x4 @ 4 OHMS
50x4 @ 2 OHMS

Stereo mode impedance is:
2 or 4 OHM

Bridged is:
4 or 8 OHM

If you bridge it (one half to one sub the other half to the other) you can run it at 4 OHM's and show each sub 100 watts RMS

Might want to get a new amp while your picking up the new subs.