Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-27-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
I'm the fairly happy owner of a 2004 Centurion T5 and I'm looking to trade up for a V-drive. I need to stick with the Centurion line because I have some leverage with regards to pricing. Let's say price was the same. Is the Lightning just a stretched Cyclone or is the hull different? Any input would be appreciated.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-27-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
I have an 05 Elite V C4 which is basically a Lightning. I thought the hull is different between the Cyclone and Lighting but am not positive.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-27-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
T5 will be a better crossover boat, better for slalom, not as good as the Lightning for wakeboard.

If you plan to wakeboard more than slalom you should go with the Lightning. In 06 they dropped the older Lightning hull, the new C4 hull should be a better wakeboard boat hull.

Good luck, let us know what you end up doing.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-27-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
I already have the T5, and I agree with your summary Edward.
I plan on wakeboaring and wakesurfing. In fact, I probably surf more than ride due to my bad knees.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-27-2006, 3:46 PM Reply   
Dang, I really like wakesurfing too, but more and more it's sounding like a geriatric sport.:-(
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-27-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
The Cyclone C4 and Lightning C4 are on the same hull...both are the same width, the Lightning is 21'6, Cyclone is 20'8
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-27-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
Kyle,
I think you may want to check your notes on that, pretty sure they are not the same hull. The cyclone is a smaller version of the avalanche. If it was the 'same' hull the length and width would both be different in ratio to the other hull. Just an fyi, i beleive the lightning is more of a crossover boat, and the cyclone is more geared to wakeboarding... I am sure someone will either confirm my 'opinion' or contradict it with fact!
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-27-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
gordon, kyle is correct here, all 3 are the same hull -- only difference is length and freeboard...
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-27-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
I understand the rational but saying it is the same hull is not correct what would be correct is saying..
the mastercraft 205 hull is the same hull as the 2000 x-star
the nautique supersport is the same hull as the SAN
the supra launch hull is the same hull as the 21v

now are the hulls similar... sure, now with avalanche you can say the cyclone is a scaled down version because it is proportionate length/width, and it would be appropriate to say that the lightning is a stretched out cyclone... will it perform the same??? no! similar? probally!

anyways that is basically what I was trying to say before but had to big of a brainfart to get it out!
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-27-2006, 9:53 PM Reply   
The Lightning was an old Ski hull and was a better crossover boat.....however the lightning is no longer built. The New Lightning C4 is a Stretched Cyclone. Not much diffeerence in wake or performance just a foot more room

(Message edited by krbaugh on March 27, 2006)
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-28-2006, 5:44 AM Reply   
Cool, thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the Cyclone simply for the sideswipe exhaust it has, we'll see what Centurion says when they get back to me, hopefully later on today.
Old     (jbwaken)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-28-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
Picked up a lightning C4 last July and very happy. Good bang for your buck....
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       03-28-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
notes checked....still positive of what I wrote in my last post.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-29-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
Be aware of what you are getting into with the sideswipe. It will be very loud, like running a race car engine with open headers. Guy I know wishes he hadn't gotten it. Only get it if you plan on being a hardcore wakesurfer.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-29-2006, 7:56 AM Reply   
Thanks Pat, wasn't aware of that. I'll definitely demo before buying it. The only advantage is not breathing in the carbon monoxide, right? It doesn't do anything with the wake?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-29-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
"It will be very loud, like running a race car engine with open headers" I dont think so! Louder yes open headers uh no.
Demo ride is the answer see what you think
Old    r3612            04-07-2006, 6:59 PM Reply   
I have been long time Centurion owner. Currently own a Cyclone C4. The hulls are very similar as of the 06 models. The lightning in 04 was offered in a regular and a C4 model in which the C4 model had similar hull to the Cyclone and Avalance. As of 06 every lightning is on this hull now as well. I was able to get behind a lightning C4. Was a great boat. I actually owned a Hurricane which used to be the lightning before the hull change.

The added room was a bonus for sure in the new ones. The wake was very similar tho the Lightnng C4's took more weight to produce similar wake. (obvious reason it bigger) The other thing was the wake on the lightning was also a bit more touchy. Kinda washed out a little easier. Wakes very very similar, but extra room was nice.

I still prefer the Cyclone for the simple fact that i just hit the swithces and go....no need for an extra sac. Both boats handle and ride in chop very similar. Also I tow alot so prefer the smaller boat as is for storage as well. We have had six peeps in our Cyclone quite frequently and all were comfortable, but any more than that and things can get tight. All in all can't go wrong with either.

NOt sure of the seating config on the 06 lightnings, but in the older ones it was nice not having that extra seat behind the driver as the cooler fit perfectly there. The stock one is just not big enough.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-07-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
Kyle knows his crap.