Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bradcraig78)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-12-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
I currently have 6 wet sounds xs650 powered by a syn4. I have preordered a pair of rev 10's but don't have the coin to get another syn4. Need some recommendations for a new amp that is relatively less expensive (less then 300). I could leave the syn4 on the 650's or switch it to the rev 10's. What configuration and amp would y'all suggest?

Thanks
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-12-2011, 11:19 AM Reply   
If you don't want to drop the coin on the WS amp...look at the Arc Audio KS300.4 - there is a rumor going around that they are very similar amps.
Old     (fozz)      Join Date: Apr 2011       05-12-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
Comparing the specs between the ARC KS and the Wetsounds Syn, the Syn is rated for a slightly higher output... Is the ARC underrated or is there something different about the SYN?

Are there any other differences? Is the SYN going to be more durable in a marine environment?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-12-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
Brad,
Eventually you may wish that you had another Syn4 for the power, pride of ownership and matching stainless steel cosmetics. Its going to be a bit before the Rev 10s arrive. Perhaps something will resolve itself by then.
I would definitely bridge the existing Syn4 to the pair of Rev 10s. We're talkin' TEN INCH MIDBASS DRIVERS. So they really deserve all the power that you can justify sending them. I really can't envision running a sub-$300 amplifier to the tower...not with these speakers.
There are lots of options in your budget range for a 4-channel amplifier to drive the in-boat speakers.
A JL Audio G6600 six-channel would deliver 75 watts to each of six coaming speakers while running at a conservative 4-ohm load. This will give a little extra headroom over a loaded down four channel and should be within a dB of what you are currently running. Even though they are disco there are a few left.
The JL Audio JX 4-channel or Alpine MRX fullrange class D 4-channel will get the job done on the interior coaxials for much less than you're budgeting but not quite at the same power level.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-12-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
It is my understanding Arc Audio makes the amps for wetsounds I love mine
Old     (WetSounds2)      Join Date: May 2010       05-13-2011, 5:58 AM Reply   
Hey Guys,
The rumor regarding the amps is just that a rumor...

We do share many of the same features and even yes we share the same engineering firm: Robert Zeff and the same contract amplifier manufacturer overseas. As a matter of fact so many companies share facilities that you could be in 1 amplifier manufacturing plant and see 5 to 10 different companies going down the line everyday. Engineering is the key, only a few companies have a engineer on staff or an entire staff. More than 1/2 of the companies out these just buy something off the shelf and place their name on it and just change the cosmetics with no internal changes. The design is the key, not cosmetics.

I just wanted to let everyone know that Wet Sounds doesn't have Arc build any of our products.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-13-2011, 6:39 AM Reply   
Thanks for the explanation if you would not mind could you explain the difference between the wetsounds and the ARC amps.They are the exact same dimensions as the wetsounds and the only difference I can find online is the specs the wetsounds says 400 watts RMS and the ARC claims 350 but other than that both advertise using the same technology.Not trying to start any problems just want to know what I'm missing thanks..............................H
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-13-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
Harold,
Being in a specialty area of mobile electronics and not having the same volume as some others, Wetsounds wisely chose to share an existing platform. That alone saved a ton of tooling costs.
Wetsounds are conformally coated, use different hardware and have the stainless steel shrouds. Also, I was told by Tim that the power supply rail voltage is different in the Wetsounds amplifiers allowing for a little more power in some models.
It is a cooperative arrangement between Arc Audio and Wetsounds. So the products are very similar but not identical.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-13-2011, 8:29 AM Reply   
Nice write up Dave.

If I could have afforded the Wet Sounds Amps when I re-amped by system I would have definitely got them over the Arc's

I always thought that there was some differences other than the shroud and stainless hardware. The augmented power rail explains the higher power ratings.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-13-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
Never stew over a very small power difference. A 33 percent increase in power might represent a one decibel difference which is the smallest increment that you can detect. While going from 25 to 50watts is a huge change, going from 100 watts to 125 watts is pretty minimal as a ratio.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (skylar18)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-13-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
I have an 1 ARC 6 channel amp powering 2 pro-80's, the free air wetsounds xs-10fa sub, and 6 xs-65's inboats. I can't thump the sub so the whole world can hear it but I get a nice bass sound and my tower speakers and in-boats are as loud as anyone can stand.

I really couldn't see the difference between the arc 6 channel or the Wetsounds. Except for come marine "wetproofing" I would really like to know if I am missing some performance that I could hear if I went with the Wetsounds Amp.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-13-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
Marc,
The issue isn't the difference between an Arc Audio and Wetsounds 6-channel amplifier. The real issue is that if a single multichannel amplifier is driving a single pair of tower HLCDs, three pair of in-boat coaxials and a single subwoofer then you could use more power. Relegate the 6-channel to the in-boat coaxials plus sub and add a two-channel or four-channel bridged to the tower. Or, drive the sub and tower speakers with the six-channel in the three-channel mode and add a four-channel to run the six in-boat coaxials. Presently something is getting short changed. It will make a big difference.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (skylar18)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-13-2011, 12:50 PM Reply   
Thanks David! Since my tower and in-boat speakers are as loud as I can stand....I'm sure I am getting shortchanged on the sub!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-13-2011, 1:25 PM Reply   
Marc,
Sometimes its not a matter of volume. Its having the reserves that translate to contrast and clarity so it sounds great rather than sounding stressed. I've heard that amplifier running all that you have plus a second pair of tower speakers. And, it is LOUD. But it could sound much better.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (skylar18)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-13-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
Makes sense.....might be giving my installers down here in Austin a call!

Thanks David
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-13-2011, 3:46 PM Reply   
Dave thanks for the explanation that was what I was wanting to know.I to would have went wetsounds if I had not ran across a deal on the ARC amps.After putting in a system one always wonders if they chose the right components.If you say don't worry about the 50 watt power difference I will take your word for it and try to be happy with what I have as everything you have advised me to do so far has been spot on.This stereo system stuff is getting crazy I just did a set of 485"s then they come out with the rev 10's. I have upgraded three times in three years and I think I have it dialed now except for maybe a sub upgrade I hope LOL