Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-01-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
I know that there are at least 2 different power retractable towers out there, has anyone had any experience with these? Does any towboats have these yet? Whats your thoughts?

Regal has one available on their 2300 and 2500..
http://www.regalboats.com/2300

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrE6XWWjHo

www.gonnasonboats.com

(Message edited by supra on December 01, 2009)
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-01-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
Doesn't go low enough.
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-01-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
if the new malibu towers are really as easy as they show in the videos to raise and lower i think its just another thing to go wrong.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-01-2009, 3:00 PM Reply   
http://www.mikemurphyentinc.com/powertower.html
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-01-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
Seems like they got it right on that Calabria.
Old     (266crownlinebr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-02-2009, 1:45 AM Reply   
I think it is a good idea. Sure there are plenty of things that can go wrong with a system like these, but there are plenty of problems that can go wrong period. You are more likely to have a flat on the way to the lake than for one of these systems break. Pretty simple systems from the look of them.
Old     (mike3500)      Join Date: Jun 2008       12-02-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
Did anyone else notice that the speakers were backwards on that Calabria?!?!
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       12-02-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Are they electric or hydraulic? have you ever seen a hydraulic leak?? Its MESSY! Jet
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       12-02-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
That is really cool...really cool. BUT....if the switch is on the dash, how do you get out of the boat? Do you crawl under or over the folded tower? How do you put the cover on with the tower folded? - you would have to crawl over or under the tower while putting the cover on. If you leave it up all the time with the exception of storage, why bother with the auto-fold? If somebody works out those issues, perfect.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-02-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
Murphy's Power Tower is hydraulic, and uses vegetable oil in the system. It would certainly be messy if it started leaking, but brake systems are hydraulic too & we still use them.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-02-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
IMO the power tower is a awesome option. I put my boat away evey night and have to fold and unfold the tower to store it in the garage.

With that said I do have some things to say.
Have you ever tryed to get into or move around in a boat that has the tower folded into the boat. It's a joke. If you were thinking about working on your boat while its tucked away in your garage you can forget about it. Unless you could fold down the tower pull into the garage and then raise up the tower so it's out of the boat and you could move around then I would say ok. It sure is nice how my tower folds forward and out of the way into the open bow and leaves the interior of my boat completley free for me to do what ever maint or projects I want inside a nice well lit garage. I give the system a thumbs up for how it works but a thumb's down for how the tower design works and thats not Mike Murphy's fault. If they could make or come up with a tower that folded forward or even better yet make and sell kit's that you could install to convert your tower to "power fold" that would be awesome and you could put me down for one.
Remember that guy that had the Budwiser #8 boat. With the Nascar graphic's Im pretty sure his name was Jon. He was working on somthing like this 4 years ago. He had a lininer actuatior on his tower that folded it. I never saw it work but it looked like somthing you could retro fit to work on any tower. He had pictures of it on W/W mabey someone could find them.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-02-2009, 1:49 PM Reply   
But if you store your boat on a boat lift with a canopy, you usually need to tower to fold below the level of the windshield. Many forward folding towers do not do that, or even fold low enough to fit in some garages. You can access the engine (dd or v) and that's what counts imo.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       12-02-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
Upload

This one goes up and down with a switch on dash, clean set up and goes down pretty far..

Regal 2300 and 2500

(Message edited by supra on December 02, 2009)
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-02-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
Power spinner racks would be cool.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-03-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
That would be a really nice option for people who live on lakes with channels where you are going under low bridges, etc.
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       12-03-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
I know now, what I want for Christmas.
Old     (conquest_towers)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-04-2009, 9:52 AM Reply   
Unless something has changed Murphy's tower is air operated. Conquest's tower is electric and the operating switch can be mounted anywhere inside the boat.

Upload
Upload
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       01-06-2010, 6:18 AM Reply   
For the once a year I collapse my tower, I can handle the four manual connectors. I suppose for those who collapse their tower a lot, it would make sense.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-08-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff, Happy New years....
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-08-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
From Murphy's website: "The Power Tower eliminates the need for a person to raise and lower the tower manually. It's powered by electrically run linear actuators ( screw drive ), air shocks, pneumatic shocks, or hydraulic cylinders".

Sounds like they can set it up just about any way you like.

BTW, the button is not only on the dash, but it's on a wireless remote too (like your alarm remote).

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on January 08, 2010)
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-08-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
Anybody have contact info for Mike Murphy?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-08-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
I have his cell # & email address. Not sure he'd appreciate me posting it though.

You can get his office info from the Contact link on the bottom right of his site: http://www.mikemurphyentinc.com/
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-09-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
Thanks, I was just hoping to source some cylinders for a retro fit on my tower. Bridges suck~!