Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    jmccallum            10-28-2003, 11:20 AM Reply   
I have a pair of FRS radios ... love'em but they aren't powerful enough.

I saw these GMRS radios and though they would be perfect
- common channels with my existing FRS radios
- relatively cheap
- 4 times the power

My questions has anybody
-used GMRS?
-do they communicate ok with FRS (same brand)?
-do you really need a license (I'm in Canada and I don't know who up north would actually know I was using a GMRs)?

---copied from Overtons-----couldn't get link to work-----

With 2 watts of power in the GMRS mode, these two-way water-resistant radios provide up to a 5-mile range of communication. NOAA all hazards alert warns you of weather, chemical, and other civilian emergencies. Digital compass provides directional assistance. Features include 22 channels (7 FRS/GMRS, 7 FRS, 8 GMRS), 38 privacy codes, clock/stopwatch, 10 NOAA weather channels, 10 channel memory, hands-free operation with built-in VOX, 10 call tones, VibrAlert™, key lock, call button, roger beep, and belt clip. Operates on 4 AAA batteries (not included). Comes with a $20 mail in factory rebate.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       10-28-2003, 12:07 PM Reply   
James,
I have the Motorola versions… a pair of the old style 2 mile range and a pair of the new style 5 mile range. My new ones don’t have quite as many bells and whistles as the one you put up a pic of… but same idea.

They work great for days on the slopes, hiking, we even use them a bit on the boat. The only issue you may have when using old and new versions together… some of the new models have filter codes that will filter out the old models so if you turn off the filters to allow the old ones to work with the new ones…you may get cross talk, you may also have issues with the new models being able to transmit further meaning the person on the old model will be able to hear you… but can’t send you a response.

For our big Whistler trip every year we use them… if everyone has the same type it does make it easier. Don’t worry about the license issue… I think it has more to do with the regulation of airwaves being different in Canada than in the US. I know for a long time the versions sold in Canada only had a couple channels vs. the multi channel models sold in the US.

Check out http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat06017&type=category for an idea…. Even Costco sells them. Good luck.
Old    jmccallum            10-29-2003, 1:07 PM Reply   
I had hoped to use the GMRS-2 watters across our lake. When we ski FRS- 0.5 watt usually does it.

Any opinions on brands?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-30-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
I have four of the Motorola GMRS radios, and I like them a lot. I find the range to be very similar to the marine VHF handheld that cost twice as much. I can easily communicate two miles, and if I climb to the top of the houseboat I have been able to carry on a conversation over a distance of at least 5 miles.

With four units, I throw one in the ski boat, one in the dinghy, and have two on the houseboat (one is so that the "crew" can communicate to the driver).

So far, I haven't really used any of the features. My units have the VOX operation, which I thought I might use when we go snow boarding.

The one "feature" I do really like are rechargable batteries. They will easily last a full day on standby (receive) and it is so nice just to be able to charge them back up and have them ready to go again. Cheaper too!

Rod