Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-27-2009, 8:41 AM Reply   
My exhaust flap (rubber flap below the swim deck) tore off this weekend. I'm going on a week long lake vacation next week. Do I need to try to fix this before I go? Is OK to run the boat without it?
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
You will need a replacement for sure unless you want to potentially get hydrolock from taking water back up your exhuast.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Only needs to be fixed if you want to run the boat in the lake. The engine can suck water without it.
Old     (marknjenn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-27-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
How does FAE deal with this problem? During install you remove the flaps for good.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-27-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
I wondered the same thing about FAE Mark, also I've seen many boats with turndown tips and no flaps. and lots of hot boats run straight exhaust tips with no flaps.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
FAE becomes your flap since it covers the exhaust and does not allow water to funnel up the manifold when you stop the boat, etc.. The flapper just keeps water from re-entering the exhaust manifold which is now covered by the FAE so you are covered either way.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
Most hot boats have their exhaust pipes a lot higher out of the water since they do not have a swim platform to deal with like wake boats.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-27-2009, 10:10 AM Reply   
You all have got me a little scared now. The flapper could have been off the whole time I was running the boat during the last couple of sessions. Should I be worried? Vapor lock seems like the kind of thing that would happen immediately. I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday and won't be running the boat until then. Anyway I could check for problems before I leave?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-27-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
The flapper is just a pecautionary measure and it keeps pests out. The odds of getting water back up through the exhaust is extremely slim. You'll be fine without for a little while. About the only way to get water up into the engine would be if you came to a very abrupt stop and killed the engine at the same time.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-27-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
I agree tuneman, unless you stop the boat suddenly and kill the motor the exhaust pressure well be enough to keep the water out of your exhaust system! I wouldn't worry about it right now! Just enjoy your weekend and fix it when you get back!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
Theres a guy on theMalibucrew.com who just lost a flap & sucked an engine full of water. It may be precautionary, but it's there for a reason. And the consequences can be really bad.

Vapor lock is a whole different thing than hydrolock. Vapor lock is a fuel problem. Hydrolock can make your engine throw a rod or crack a piston.

As for FAE or turn down tips..... take a cup & turn it upside down. Then push it down on the water. Does the cup fill with water? No, and FAE won't allow water up the tube either.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on July 27, 2009)
Old    murphy8166            07-27-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
Why not just order one from Skidim and put in on yourself....It can't be that hard to do.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-27-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
That is what I'm doing. Just want to make sure I haven't messed anything up running it w/o the flapper.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-27-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
As long as the boat is running, it wont be a problem, its when it is not, that will be the problem.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-27-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
I really wouldn't worry about it at all. I just wouldn't come to a stop throw the boat in reverse and kill the engine. Do the straight chrome tips available on mastercraft have some sort of internal flapper or something?
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-27-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
Ya my BU has chrome tips and not flaps.
Old     (cla10beck)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-28-2009, 5:18 AM Reply   
The biggest concern I would have is backing the boat and trailer in the water. This is the only time the engine would be off and you could get enough flow to get water back to the engine. Just make sure to back in slow.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-28-2009, 6:55 AM Reply   
As for FAE or turn down tips..... take a cup & turn it upside down. Then push it down on the water. Does the cup fill with water? No, and FAE won't allow water up the tube either.

??? So you are going to tell me that when a boat with a FAE is launched the FAE goes straight into the water vertically?

The reason FAE works is because water cannot rush back up the exhaust when you stop, not because the air has nowhere to be displaced.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-28-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
The exhaust manifolds are way higher than the tips so there is nothing to worry about. I don't have flappers on my exhaust.