Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
I have had this boat since I was 18 years old. It is a 1975 Rayson Craft. I want/need to sell it as I am an owner of a 2005 V215. I am having problems selling this boat because I don't know/have the resources to sell it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I am trying to sell a four door niche car and everybody is searching for a Camry. Maybe I just need to put it on Ebay. This boat would rock for a young mechanic wakeboarder person.

1975 Rayson Craft
Type: Inboard V-Drive
Length: 21’ Feet
Beam: 100” inch
Engine: 460 cu in Ford 325 HP
Speed Control: Perfect Pass
Tower: 13th Floor with racks to hold up to 8 boards
Ballast: Pump filled ballast tank-600 lbs under bow
Heater: 3 port
Seats: Up to 10
Trailer: Tandem axle with leaf springs
Cover: Custom Sunbrella
Bimini: Sunbrella
Top Speed: 49mph
Asking Price: $8,000

We are the second owners since purchased in 1992 from the original owner.

The engine is a brand new remanufactured 460 Ford engine with less than 20hours on it. The old engine was tired. This boat is set up for wakeboarding and throws a big wake. The wake is comparable to the original X-Star, then X2, and now X1 (I think) As you can see by the picture this boat gets a lot of looks on and off the water. A lot of time and effort has been spent to make it a great wakeboard/leisure boat which you can see by all the add-ons such as tower, Bimini, ballast tank, perfect pass, and heater. Unfortunately, my family has outgrown the boat and we must sell it because we purchased a larger boat.

The velvet drive transmission has been rebuilt 70 hours ago and the Casale V-drive has only 30 hours since rebuild. The upholstery has been replaced. About 5 years old but in good shape.

The boat can be returned to its original 1975 speed boat configuration by removing any of the add-ons such as the tower, Bimini, ballast tank, perfect pass, heater, etc.
Attached Images

Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-16-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
Wow, ya done good modding that old boat. Seems like for $8k it would move pretty easily. Probably not the kind of boat that someone would drive a long way to get, but I would imagine it would be a good boat for someone from SoCal, NV or AZ (low windshield, seating, etc.).

I'd start simple, place an ad in Craigslist in a handful of cities in the SW US. Maybe you already tried that? What cities? Maybe try some cities closer to the lakes?
Park it at corner gas station at a busy intersection with big for sale signs on it.... probably just during the day, and bring it home at night. The next day, try a different corner station.

Good luck with the sale.

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 08-16-2011 at 1:43 PM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-16-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
That thing is bad arse. My guess is the people that want to buy that type of boat aren't wakeboarders and could care less about a tower, cruise control, etc... although you kind of mention that in your ad.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-16-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
personal opinion, you shouldn't expect to get more than $5k, if that. I know it's not something you want to hear, but anyone that would be a potential buyer would easily move to mid 80's inboards, which are going for that type of price.
Old     (strife)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-16-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
I have to agree with a-dub.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-16-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
The fact that its 37 years old and not a name brand isn't helping . The bottom line is price start lowering every week until it sells.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-16-2011, 2:10 PM Reply   
Holy schitt, I bet that engine's loud!
Cool boat for sure. $8k for a 36year old boat with wooden internals, no way.
I bet it does exactly what you say and it looks nice, but you're looking for a very unique niche market, and you said it yourself. Core wakeboarder, who can turn a wrench and doesn't mind no creature comforts.
Plus you're getting into the wrong time of the year to sell a boat. If you can keep it until spring I bet it's worth $2k more than whatever you'd get for it now, which I would put at about $5k if it's as nice as it looks and runs very well, structurally solid, etc.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-16-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
Also, this will piss some people off on CL but in the add say something like this boat is similar to mastercraft malibu nautique wakeboard surf etc..... At least tehn the boat might be viewed by the people looking for an inboard tournament boat.

A-dub and other are probably correct though, as a ski boat it is worth closer to 5k. As a mint condition performance vdrive it might be worth more. Honestly you may have better luck pulling off the tower, ballast, PP, and just selling a mint big block v drive.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-16-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
I love this boat. I've ridden behind it, and it is a lot of fun. Wake is clean and has an awesome shape. I always wanted to see what would happen if we really slammed down heavy.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-16-2011, 3:06 PM Reply   
i sold my 82 SN2001 with monster tower for 3500
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-16-2011, 3:16 PM Reply   
Agree, you're asking too much. If you really want to get rid of it I'd drop your price and post it on craigslist with a bunch of keyword tags. Just get ready to negotiate.
Old    SamIngram            08-16-2011, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by behindtheboat View Post
personal opinion, you shouldn't expect to get more than $5k, if that. I know it's not something you want to hear, but anyone that would be a potential buyer would easily move to mid 80's inboards, which are going for that type of price.
Ignore almost everything everybody has posted! They have no idea what this boat is!

OH MY GOD! This is a Rudy Raymos Rayson Craft... One of the best built boats in the history of boating...

I would take an ad out in one of the Hot Boat Magazines and do craigslist in Lake Havasu and SoCal and join all the hot boat or performance boating sites.

Check out these sites and threads...

http://raysoncraft.com/
http://www.raysoncraftresources.com/
http://www.raysoncraftboats.com/
http://www.dragboatcity.com/boats-sa...201976%20.html
http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...aft-boats.html
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=3068

Some Quick Facts About Rudy lifted from that last site:

1. Rayson Craft boats got their name from Ramos and Son... Rudy's dad owned a large foundry in Gardena, Rudy worked in and around the business most of his life, but he didn't like the foundry business, he liked Boat Racing...

2. Rudy either started Boat Drags or was the first to ever go over 100 MPH, or both... I'm not sure who would know for sure...

3. Rudy won the Salton Sea 500 three times, I think in a row... He was using an Allison Engine for one or two of the wins, so the rules got changed to car motors only...

4. At the 1967 Parker 9 Hour, Rudy and Ed Olsen drove together in a twin Ford Cobra Powered Rayson Craft...They didn't win, but led for hours...I can still recall those two Corbra's with 16 straight pipes stick up behind the driver... Rudy and Ed ran that mother FLAT FOOTED til she broke...At the time and I still feel this way, I could not have imagine myself driving that boat....I didn't have the hair then, and for sure wouldn't have it now....God they gave that big inboard a ride.....When Rudy had the wheel his muscles would be bulging hanging on... Coming by the pits, roaring, shaking the ground.....

5. 1966, Havasu Classic was won by Don Harper and Dutch Blazer in a 21 foot Rayson Craft with three Mercs... 118 boats, all outboards, no factory support...except for four Evinrude/Johnson Boats...Til that race, everyone thought of Rayson Crafts as INBOARD BOATS...

6. Rudy always "PROMOTED" BOAT RACING, I personally never felt he was trying to promote Rudy Ramos, it was Boat Racing, that Rudy liked to promote...At the 1967 Havasu Classic, Rudy Teamed with Bill Cooper and a young driver named Mike Reagan....(The son of California's governor.) Rudy had some help from Mercury...Bill Cooper drove two hours Saturday and Rudy drove two hours...and without covering old news was in second at the end of the first day....Mike Reagan was at the wheel when the BIG RAYSON CRAFT crossed the finish line first triple and first overall.. Rudy was talking to my brother, at Long Beach, just last month....Rudy said to Russ, "Do you remember when your brother won Twin Engine at Havasu?" Russ said, "YES."... Rudy then added who won OVERALL???? Russ thought and then said Mike Reagan, Bill Cooper and Rudy Ramos...Rudy later had a Twin Engine Jones, that Ron Larson got badly hurt in when he blew it over...Then Rudy ran a triple Jones for years, before he changed it to a KT....

Rudy's boats will always be considered V-Drive boats, but don't forget their OUTBOARD HISTORY...

7. I'm pretty sure that the Super Stock Class was started by Rudy.

8. Rudy donated time and money to promoting GN...He donated $500 to prize money for the 2006 Long Beach Sprint Nationals...Where his GN NUMBER 9 won....Dave Rankin did a great job driving...the Bouncey built engine ran like a song....

9. Rudy made an Anti Bucketing Helmet with under arms straps, I posted pictures here, but can't seem to find them... http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ht=Rudy+Raymos Link about Rudy's helmet.

10. Rudy raced Offshore and even announced on live radio, many Offshore races. He'd fly over the course in KLAC 570 Radio and tall what was going on. I'd listen to the race, then as it was ending, jump in my car and hurry down to see the boats coming if after the race... Rudy had a 30 Chris Cat called Coors Light...

11. Rudy probably started every Catalina Ski Race...he pulled his daughter, Ronni, with a triple Engine Evinrude powered Scarrab..Ronnie and Stan Leader latter team to win mixed doubles..several times...

12. Rudy's only wife was Frankie Raymos...I think she and Rudy started the Long Beach Boat and Ski Club. The club that still promotes the Catalina Ski Race.

13. Rudy may have been the first to ever put velcro on his life jacket and the seat, so the driver wouldn't fly out as easy...Bill Cooper and Mike Wallace may have done this first...

Talk to Ron Hill at the last site I listed, he will be able to give you all the information about that boat or put you in touch with those who do.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-16-2011, 3:20 PM Reply   
Like a poster stated above...one could buy a fully restored & loaded Nautique 2001 with low hours for that price or less and we all know how great of a wake that has.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-16-2011, 3:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
Ignore almost everything everybody has posted! They have no idea what this boat is!

OH MY GOD! This is a Rudy Raymos Rayson Craft... One of the best built boats in the history of boating...

I would take an ad out in one of the Hot Boat Magazines and do craigslist in Lake Havasu and SoCal and join all the hot boat or performance boating sites.

Check out these sites and threads...

http://raysoncraft.com/
http://www.raysoncraftresources.com/
http://www.raysoncraftboats.com/
http://www.dragboatcity.com/boats-sa...201976%20.html
http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...aft-boats.html
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=3068

Some Quick Facts About Rudy lifted from that last site:

1. Rayson Craft boats got their name from Ramos and Son... Rudy's dad owned a large foundry in Gardena, Rudy worked in and around the business most of his life, but he didn't like the foundry business, he liked Boat Racing...

2. Rudy either started Boat Drags or was the first to ever go over 100 MPH, or both... I'm not sure who would know for sure...

3. Rudy won the Salton Sea 500 three times, I think in a row... He was using an Allison Engine for one or two of the wins, so the rules got changed to car motors only...

4. At the 1967 Parker 9 Hour, Rudy and Ed Olsen drove together in a twin Ford Cobra Powered Rayson Craft...They didn't win, but led for hours...I can still recall those two Corbra's with 16 straight pipes stick up behind the driver... Rudy and Ed ran that mother FLAT FOOTED til she broke...At the time and I still feel this way, I could not have imagine myself driving that boat....I didn't have the hair then, and for sure wouldn't have it now....God they gave that big inboard a ride.....When Rudy had the wheel his muscles would be bulging hanging on... Coming by the pits, roaring, shaking the ground.....

5. 1966, Havasu Classic was won by Don Harper and Dutch Blazer in a 21 foot Rayson Craft with three Mercs... 118 boats, all outboards, no factory support...except for four Evinrude/Johnson Boats...Til that race, everyone thought of Rayson Crafts as INBOARD BOATS...

6. Rudy always "PROMOTED" BOAT RACING, I personally never felt he was trying to promote Rudy Ramos, it was Boat Racing, that Rudy liked to promote...At the 1967 Havasu Classic, Rudy Teamed with Bill Cooper and a young driver named Mike Reagan....(The son of California's governor.) Rudy had some help from Mercury...Bill Cooper drove two hours Saturday and Rudy drove two hours...and without covering old news was in second at the end of the first day....Mike Reagan was at the wheel when the BIG RAYSON CRAFT crossed the finish line first triple and first overall.. Rudy was talking to my brother, at Long Beach, just last month....Rudy said to Russ, "Do you remember when your brother won Twin Engine at Havasu?" Russ said, "YES."... Rudy then added who won OVERALL???? Russ thought and then said Mike Reagan, Bill Cooper and Rudy Ramos...Rudy later had a Twin Engine Jones, that Ron Larson got badly hurt in when he blew it over...Then Rudy ran a triple Jones for years, before he changed it to a KT....

Rudy's boats will always be considered V-Drive boats, but don't forget their OUTBOARD HISTORY...

7. I'm pretty sure that the Super Stock Class was started by Rudy.

8. Rudy donated time and money to promoting GN...He donated $500 to prize money for the 2006 Long Beach Sprint Nationals...Where his GN NUMBER 9 won....Dave Rankin did a great job driving...the Bouncey built engine ran like a song....

9. Rudy made an Anti Bucketing Helmet with under arms straps, I posted pictures here, but can't seem to find them... http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ht=Rudy+Raymos Link about Rudy's helmet.

10. Rudy raced Offshore and even announced on live radio, many Offshore races. He'd fly over the course in KLAC 570 Radio and tall what was going on. I'd listen to the race, then as it was ending, jump in my car and hurry down to see the boats coming if after the race... Rudy had a 30 Chris Cat called Coors Light...

11. Rudy probably started every Catalina Ski Race...he pulled his daughter, Ronni, with a triple Engine Evinrude powered Scarrab..Ronnie and Stan Leader latter team to win mixed doubles..several times...

12. Rudy's only wife was Frankie Raymos...I think she and Rudy started the Long Beach Boat and Ski Club. The club that still promotes the Catalina Ski Race.

13. Rudy may have been the first to ever put velcro on his life jacket and the seat, so the driver wouldn't fly out as easy...Bill Cooper and Mike Wallace may have done this first...

Talk to Ron Hill at the last site I listed, he will be able to give you all the information about that boat or put you in touch with those who do.
So what ur saying is this boat/brand is not geared towards wakeboarding but racing and/or ski racing? However the seller loaded it with wakeboarding goodies. Sharp boat though for its age
Old    SamIngram            08-16-2011, 3:33 PM Reply   
Yes!

Depending on which model this is the hull could actually be worth some money and someone could probably part it out for more than what he is asking.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-16-2011, 3:49 PM Reply   
I think the age + price is killing it. People have a hard time justifying 8k for a 1970's boat for the most part. It is probably worth it but a hard market to crack. At 5k, it will sell very easily for full price.
Old     (helman)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-16-2011, 9:05 PM Reply   
I agree with Sam- it is a clean Rudy Ramos boat. Anybody that has been around the hot boat scene knows the Rayson Craft name. The issue is, it is being marketed to the wrong crowd. Pull the tower off- fix the gel and target the hot boat community. You should get closer to your target price by doing that. Sell the tower/accessories and make a bit more.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       08-17-2011, 12:07 AM Reply   
Just a thought, but maybe someone in the hotboat community would like it as is. this way they would get their retro fast boat but they could still pull their kids on wakeboards. I agree, take it to the proper market but maybe someone will like it the way you customized it and if not, then take it apart.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-17-2011, 6:54 AM Reply   
Take pictures of the wake and also the surfing wake. You need to find someone who doesn't care about name brand, just looking for a v-drive, tower, ballast, wake potential, old but clean. Just the pictures on the trailer looks like a modded flat bottom drag boat, I need to see the wake to consider it over a Supra Sunsport or 2001 ect.
Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-17-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
Take the "perfect a$s" and "eat my wake, saratoga CA" off. Take new pictures without the stickers and get pictures of the wake. Don't take this the wrong way, but I would expect some potential buyers would look at those stickers alone and have a prejudice opinion about how the boat was cared for/operated.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-17-2011, 7:45 AM Reply   
Bhyatt - I agree completely. The "perfect ass" stickers caught my attention immediately and made me thing, hmmmmm, and not in a good way. Not that I don't think perfect asses are awesome, if there was a cereal named "perfect ass" cereal, I'd probably eat it, but stickers like that on a boat you're marketing scream "cheezy", and in my experience, people don't like buying boats from someone they think is "cheezy".

And, I"m not saying you're anything but a super cool dude. I don't know you. You're obviously smart enought to post on here and ask for advice. I hope you sell your boat quick!

What you should do is ask the forum members on here to draft sample craigslist ads for your boat to help you sell it. My advise would be to post up an ad for a week and then take it down if you don't get good responses. Then, post up a different type of craigslist ad with an entirely different description of the boat, and keep doing that until it sells. What I mean is if you market it as a wake machine and it doesn't sell, the next week market it as a go-fast boat, the next week market it as a super rare niche piece of boat history, and on and on and on.

Also, search out some go-fast boat forums and post this thing up with a nice historical write-up. You may get some attention there as well.

If I get really bored later, I could probably write up a humorous craigslist ad for you regarding the boat.

Last edited by chattwake; 08-17-2011 at 7:52 AM.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-17-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
Ok this is what I got so far.

Craigslist with different approaches to sell the boat, ie, wake, go-fast, etc.

Park the boat somewhere other than my side yard, so at least people will notice it and notice it is for sale.

In the CL add. Add key words in the search i.e. similar to mastercraft Malibu nautique wakeboard etc

Price point is huge. I think 8K is super fair considering everything is rebuilt. But at the same time, I wouldn’t want to spend 8K on a 36 year old boat either. I do like that it is turn key and ready to ride. So that might be worth an extra 3K to someone. I do think I could get 5K pretty quick.

I can agree with all of you here that age, price, and niche, is killing the sale of the boat.

The boat engine is super load. It sounds great though.

This boat is all fiberglass and gel coat. I think there might be an inlay of wood in the dash panel. But really there is not wood in the boat structure. Of course the seats and floor are wood.

Sam, thanks for the History lesson on the boat. I find a few guys just like you that are so excited about my boat. Lots of fun history. I really think it would be best to get my boat down back to its roots. Meaning, I should sell it in the LA area. This boat came in two colors. Red and Yellow. I think they made two of them like this one(not really sure). This boat was made for the Catalina water ski race you talked about. The fuel tanks (two of them) hold 80 gallons of gas.

This boat does have a deep V. It was designed for going 70 mph in the calmer Catalina Ocean. So it handles chop really well and also at 22MPH puts out a really clean wakeboard wake.

As for the stickers, you guys are so right. After I put the perfect pass in the boat I had these stickers left over. My buddy stuck them up on the tower on the first day. He decided to leave the P of Pass. It took me a couple of weeks to notice it. I have had the boat so long I don’t even see that anymore. I can remove those and the EAT My WAKE, Saratoga, CA sticker. That makes sense.

You all have so many great ideas for me. I have not been offended at all. Thanks for taking the time to type up your thoughts. Got to love WakeWorld
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-17-2011, 9:11 AM Reply   
Thanks Sam for schooling everybody on Rayson Craft. When I saw the post about it not being a brand name, I was ready to post, but then I continued reading and find that you have already done it for me. Rayson Craft boats are badass! Dave, I would post about it in the forums that Sam linked to and you should get some interest.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-17-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
Wouln't this boat fit right in, in Havasu or the Parker strip? That is where I would think it would have a great chance of selling.
Old    SamIngram            08-17-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Wouln't this boat fit right in, in Havasu or the Parker strip? That is where I would think it would have a great chance of selling.
Yes, that is what I said... The www.performanceboat.com forum is the place to go for that stuff. I think Riverdave, the owner of the old hot boat forum is on here too every once in a while...
Old    SamIngram            08-18-2011, 8:40 AM Reply   
I emailed River Dave regarding this boat. Apparently his log in no longer works, so he asked me to post this for him.

That guy's best best is to pull the tower, and all the wakeboarding **** out of it.. If the boat is clean he'll get his 8K out of it as old guys are always looking for clean cruisers.. He can off all the wakeboarding items seperate for whatever they are worth? Probably get 10 - 12K total out of it if he restores it and parts it out..

As it sits though, I don't think he'll get more then 5K.. The only problem I can see is he's going to have to repair the holes on the deck from the tower, and that'll cost a little bit..

River Dave is a regular on the Parker Strip and in Havasu, he's the one that ended up with the old hotboat.com site that use to be huge. When they closed it down everyone moved to performanceboats.com

Anyhow, I think his advise is probably the best going. An old school V-Drive cruiser in good shape is getting harder and harder to find. That boat would be great on Lake Powell, lots of fuel, and the ability to tame the chop, plus the decent fuel economy of a V-drive.

Anyhow, good luck!
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-18-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
Sam, thank you for your leg work. I apprciate it. I am digesting all the ideas.

By the way I had some one come look at the boat just yesterday. He has two other boats to look at. He loves the boat, I should find something out by Monday.

Thanks again guys.
Old    SamIngram            08-18-2011, 2:28 PM Reply   
Maybe you should be talking to this guy...
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-18-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
I feel like we're trying to set these two up on a date
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-25-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
These are my new photos? Better?
Attached Images

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-25-2011, 6:32 PM Reply   
More photos
Attached Images

Old     (bhyatt_ohp)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-25-2011, 6:33 PM Reply   
Those pictures are super legit. Good work.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-25-2011, 6:35 PM Reply   
ok, I am done now. Hope at least one person likes my new photos.
Attached Images

Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-25-2011, 6:38 PM Reply   
Thanks Bhyatt. I have to give a shout out to my best friend Hilgard of Springbokdesigns. He took the photos. He is the same guy that shot CIE Spring Ride this year.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-25-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
The pics are much better this time, looks good!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-26-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
One more suggestion...

Pull the tower off the feet (just leave the feet mounted to the boat), put some baby-moons on those wheels, and take one more round of photos and post them on the hotboat forums. I think you might get more attention from an old guy looking for a lake cruiser without the tower. You can always put the tower right back on if a wakeboarder happens to show interest. Either way, pull the perfect pass and sell it for $500, it will not increase the boat value by that much. Re-list for $7500 obo with the new and improved pictures in the spring.

As a side note I have this boat advertised on craigslist advertised, the stickers did turn me off.

I might be interested in the perfect pass.
mikeskiw@gmail.com
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-27-2011, 3:33 PM Reply   
Great idea!
Old     (grkero)      Join Date: Dec 2010       08-28-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
When I saw the original pictures, I was laughing so hard at the "Perfect Ass," thinking that was the ugliest boat I have ever seen. Now joking aside, those new pictures made me think I would totally buy that boat on a budget under $10k!