Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
OK I want to learn to ride the goofy side since thats what I am. Right foot forward for me. My buddy is the same way. But he wants to ride the reg. side. He has only tried 3 times to ride the goofy side. Yesterday I heard him say he absolutly hates the goofy side. I don't give up that easy and I don't hate anything about wakesurfing. I can have fun on both sides. So what should I do? Not take him when I load the starboard side, or switch every other time? He is a great friend, but I want to learn how to surf facing the wake. Not riding with my back to it all the time. Oh yea its my boat and gas that provides us with all this fun.Also I have to fill sac's so its not easy to just hit switches and go from side to side. Man I just want to get along and not have him feeling like he hates it. If anyone feels like he does let me know, am i just being selfish? I like riding the port side, I just can't spin on that side for some reason.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       06-04-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   

quote:

If anyone feels like he does let me know, am i just being selfish?

quote:

Oh yea its my boat and gas that provides us with all this fun.

Your boat, your rules.

-Steve
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-04-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
Your boat your rules apply. You surf first and if you want to move ballast around to goofy, then fine.

Switch riding is better than no riding
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-04-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
Its just understood with everyone I ride with, said boat owner's wants trump everybody else's (especially when YOU are paying for the fun). I think most of the guys I ride with would tell somebody to pound sand if they were complaining about what side they had to ride on. Sure exceptions can be made and sometimes its nice to switch up sides, but whining sure isn't the way to go about it.

Your boat, surf the way you want and enjoy it!
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-04-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
A lot of my crew ride goofy. I have made a considerable effort, with no results yet, to get a good goofy side wake for them.

I have one simple change I'm going to try this weekend. If that doesn't work I might try one more idea then I'm going to give up on the goofy side unless someone else brings an idea to the table. I ride regular and I have an amazing regular wake, also my goofy friends are getting pretty good on the port side.

I'm up for working on riding backside and switch on the wrong wake. I think it will make be a better surfer, at least in my mind and isn't that where it counts the most?

Actually the WOs said I should try less weight, that might be the third thing I try.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2009, 5:48 PM Reply   
My boat, my rules, surf the way I want. Got it Man it's hard cause Ive known this cat 25 years. But I'm standing firm this time. He will have to get over the attitude thing. Good times on the water, thats how its supposed to be. Thanks Guys, Im feelin better already.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-04-2009, 5:55 PM Reply   
Ya Show I can ride backside pretty good, and I too would like to be able to do both. Let us know how that wakeplate works out.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-04-2009, 6:02 PM Reply   
Just spoke with Duck Diver. He added 4 inches to his MTT. He said that it work great on his Avy goofy wake but wasn't sure that he liked what it did to the regular side.

I'm thinking I need a hinge or quick disconnect.

I'll be sure to post up.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-04-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
I'm pretty much the only goofy on my boat so I just switch it doesn't take much time but my crew is like a NASCAR pit team. I also throw some reg sets too but its not near as fun for me. Just switch it out and keep the friendship.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-04-2009, 6:42 PM Reply   
I have a 12x12 (stock is 12x9) hydraulic plate on my avy and I think it helps the goofy wake alot. I don't think it hurts my regular wave at all.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-04-2009, 7:31 PM Reply   
Duffy, your plate is a Lenco and controllable. Duck Diver-s (and mine) is fixed. Try setting your trim tab down on the regular side, still like it?
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-04-2009, 7:51 PM Reply   
It can come down a little, but anymore makes the wave smaller and long.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-04-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
Goofy is how God intended it.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-05-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
Amen brother
Old     (oldwakedude)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-05-2009, 12:47 PM Reply   
I wakeboard, Snowboard and slalom ski goofy, but my old boat developed only a good regular side boat so I learned to wakesurf regular. My new boat is an Enzo and I can develop a good goofy wake (gotta have a power plate), but the regular side is much better and now it feels strange to surf goofy, I have not had any problems building my regular skills. My suggestion, is go regular, leave the darkside for those who cannot see the light.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-05-2009, 12:55 PM Reply   
Yes leave the darkside to those who have a boat with great wakes on both sides.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-05-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
Don't get tempted by the Regular side. Hide your feelings.
Old     (surfin247)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-05-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
Show I don't think it is neccessarily less weight, but that the weight is evenly distributed along the whole length of the boat. We found less in the trunk 500lbs, more in the middle(behind driver and alongside driver)1000lbs and 500 in bow with about 100-150 more RPM's got rid of the prop wash and the wake cleans up. Don't have a trim tab. The whole length of the boat has to be lower in the water, but with a more even waterline not with a large bowrise. I think it pushes the prop wash further back and under the waterline for a greater distance off the stern, and less disruption of the wave face. Speed has the same effect less bowrise. So far this has more or less worked on a large number of different boats with LH prop rotation.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-05-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
I've never been able to get nearly the wake out of my boat on the stbd side compared to port, so the goofyfooters in my crew (myself included) just learned to ride backside on that nice right. Frontside feels weird to me now.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
I've attempted to set Goofy Enzo wakes quite a few times in a number of configurations. The best was disappointing.

Last time out was a 750 in the back locker, starboard midship full, 750 from behind the driver’s seat and wrapped around the starboard bench, 400 on top the port bow, driver and crew of three more. I’d say that’s fairly well spread out. The top of the wake was mushy and there was spray in the riders face at the back of the boat. That’s typical of my results.

The regular side is nothing short of amazing.
Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-05-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
I agree with Dennis...having ridden with him (well he rode, I just fell a lot) he took a stock sanger from the dealer floor, filled one bag and used some lead, he had a darkside wave going that was better looking than the majority regular side waves I have seen pictures of. Really clean face, and in Folsom lake, clean is hard to comeby since the water is so choppy.

(Message edited by slimjim44 on June 05, 2009)
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-05-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
In our regular group 4 ride regular and 1 rides goofy. The goofy rider always goes last and if there is time
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-05-2009, 10:26 PM Reply   
Patrick has broken 9 of the 10 commandments based on his post.

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2009, 4:26 AM Reply   
I have had about 30 - 40 people behind my boat, learning to surf or wakeboard. I would say goofy has always outnumbered. Prob 60% goofy or so. And out of 8 of us in the family, 6 are goofy, which is weird, I think. But my boat does well on either side.
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-07-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
"WAKE UP"
check it at:
www.mobgroup.tv
It is the new full length movie coming out.
All are PRO heal riders!
Luke fought the darkside.
You can too.
I have road more heal side this year than dark and think i will continue!!!
Almost ALL boats are better port!!!
(man i wish i could go left foot forward but THAT is not an option for me)
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-08-2009, 10:02 AM Reply   
I think I've read somewhere that 90% of the real surf breaks in the world favor goofy riders....is that true?
Old     (surfin247)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-08-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
Scott, If you want to learn left foot forward just wakeskate for half hour on port side playing up and down the wake pumping and carving before you go wakesurfing. It worked for me. Now I don't care which way it breaks if there is a wake I'm going to ride it.