Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-27-2008, 7:16 AM Reply   
I have landed a tantrum to blind probably 200 times. Two days ago I did one in the flats a little and landed too stiff and my knee popped. I knew something was wrong and now my knee is super swollen and stiff. Happen to anyone else?
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-27-2008, 8:27 AM Reply   
sounds like an ACL to me, I would get to the Doc and have it checked out asap
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-27-2008, 12:39 PM Reply   
Happened to Nicola last week at the Malibu Open. Orthopedic surgeon tomorrow, then maybe MRI............. 16 years old. You would think you are involved in Pro football.
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-27-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
I did the same thing on the same trick. Torn Medeal Minscus (sp) and partial ACL tear. Good luck. Get the MRI.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-27-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
Nicola's was on a Moby Dick. Her knee did not swell up. Hoping she maybe just hyper extended it? Physio made it worse and he recommended orthopedic surgeon. CJ, you need an op?
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-27-2008, 2:20 PM Reply   
Oh yea! I had the minscus repaired and since the ACL was only a partial tear I didn't get it replaced. I do use a CTI2 brace when I know i'm going to try hard tricks.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-27-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
thanks for the input. i heard when you tear your acl your knee doesnt swell because it is just tissue. i am walking and getting around really well today im just hoping i didnt tear anything because i wanna keep riding
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-27-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Not true. Ive seen them swell and not swell. Your ACL is there to keep your lower leg from going to far forward. If you didnt do anything active in life other than straight forward jogging you can go without repairing an acl tear. In your case if it is torn you would need to get it fixed or you will tear and rip everything else in your knee. Which would be immediate surgery and/or a total knee replacement later on in life. But then again what do I know, just tough it out dude!
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-27-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
thanks man! yah i just need to get ready for jr mens next year and with knee surgery that will put me back a lot. it doesnt even hurt at all i just cant bend it too much
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-27-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
Listen, we're all just arm chair doctors on here. Go have it checked out by a reputable ortho. Do what he says. If you need any surgery, do it. Rehab the the heck out of it. It's the end of the season now, you will have plenty of time to rehab, and train for next season. Just be smart, and listen to your doctors, and your physical therapist, you'll be fine
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-27-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
It will be awful for Nicola to miss the end of the season. She is 140 points ahead on Q of W.
Back to risk & reward.................
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-27-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
You can ride without an ACL as long as your lower extremity muscles & *Proprioception are in excellent shape and control.

* http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/supplements/proprioception.php
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-27-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
Oh well forget the Dr and your unstable knee then. Go for it man.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-28-2008, 4:23 AM Reply   
If that was directed towards me, I had the means and education for my rehab. My background at that time was a Certified Athletic trainer. My training consisted of proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation.
I torn my ACL in 1995 along with a medial meniscus tear and excoriation of the left meniscus.
Only had the Med meniscus cleaned up. Was back to full activity 3 months later - no brace.
What helps in most cases is if your body/muscles are already intuned/trained to recruit other muscle groups when fatigue sets in.
Am I saying to forgo surgery - NO. It may appear that way but it's not.
It is another option to take before getting surgery so one can finish their season.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2008, 4:54 AM Reply   
Chris - when will you know more about Nicola's knee situation? Good Luck - I hope it isn't too serious!
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2008, 6:46 AM Reply   
Phantom I understand what you are saying and I also realize it can be done. I also have experience with these injuries, and I see the result of neglect with middle age to older knee patients.
Young people including myself, do not think about what their joints will be like when we hit 50-60 yrs old. Man I see people everyday that are going through hell right now because they thought aww it will be alright. I love wakeboarding just as much as anyone on this board but your health is much more important than finishing a contest year. Hey man there is always next year.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-28-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
JDUB - When I initially torn my ACL a lot of people said the same thing about arthritis, wear & tear..... joint replacement.

I waited 10 yrs for my reconstruction. Was active the entire time without a brace and no restrictions.
Most interesting thing was the comparison films -( prior and 10 yrs post) my joint surfaces were clean no evidence of arthritis.
Guess I was lucky.

Most important factor with rehab/PT is finding a person who will who would put you through a routine hands on - not just using modalities or machines.

Good luck to all.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
Will definitely miss Nationals. MRI tomorrow. Worlds?? Don't know yet.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
Phantom, you are so right about being in good shape. Nicola has been told over and over and over about taking care of herself,eating right etc. Hopefully (please God) she will learn from this??
Heal so much faster if you have been taking care of yourself.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-28-2008, 5:05 PM Reply   
If you don't mind me asking Mr Butler - who is Nicola's Orthopod?
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2008, 5:25 PM Reply   
Orlando Orthopaedic- Randy Schwartzberg. Seems pretty switched on. Handles a lot of wakeboarders. You know him??
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-28-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
found out today that i tore my ACL and damaged my meniscus. i am having surgery and rehab after that of course. this sucks! around 6 months of no riding but im gonna make the best of it
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2008, 5:43 PM Reply   
"around 6 months of no riding but im gonna make the best of it"

How??
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-28-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
If you need a second opinion, check out Morse in Tampa, Florida ortho, been to him a few times, very reputable.
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-28-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
Mr.Butler - I know of him never personally have worked with him, but he works with a few of my associates. You have an excellent Orthopod .
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-28-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
Someone please answer Chris' question, surgery tomorrow for me....
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-28-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
that is bad news but you are doing the right thing. the dr says six months and that is about par. you will be feeling better way before then and you will probably be wake surfing and riding a little, against dr's orders, before the summer is over. I know alot of people that have gone through this and they always start being active way before the 6 month mark. problem is you can over do it so just be careful and use good judgement.
Old     (maliburider456)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-28-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
that makes me feel better about it. thanks jdub
Old     (idahotige)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-29-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
Taylor,

You should be feeling pretty good at about 2-3 month mark, but this is a time that most people will do to much and cause damage (stretch) their repair. The ACL replacement will start off being stronger than the original ACL, but do to it not have a blood supply it will actually get very weak. Studies show that it is about at it weakest point in the 12-16 week range. So, be very careful during this time period because you will be feeling pretty good. Don't be tempted to do to much. You don't want to go through the process and end up stretching out the new acl. Listen to your ortho, work hard and you will have a good recovery.

Good luck.
Old    benj_t            07-29-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
yea good luck taylor!!

im so sorry you hurt your knee on just your second set behind our boat. the tantrum to blind was huge though. take it easy bro
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-30-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
Chris, Randy is a great ortho. He was our team doctor when I played pro soccer in Orlando. Has done everyone of my friends knees. He also did my buddy that slalom skis on the tour a few months ago. I always recommend him when a friend need it.