Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (centurion_greece)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-03-2008, 4:36 PM Reply   
Hi am male and weighs above 190 lbs with a skill level of intermediate - advanced.
Can you suggested a good board for everything!!
Thanks
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-03-2008, 6:38 PM Reply   
On one board is good for everything. Can you describe what you mean by everything?
Old     (centurion_greece)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-04-2008, 1:36 PM Reply   
I meen all the tricks
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-04-2008, 1:39 PM Reply   
inland surfer blue
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
punkinseed ace by ascboards does it all.its featured in the o8 wakeboarding magazine buyers guide.the one with the rasta sun logo is my fav
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
Let's see how you ride before we spam the board with what's best.

Lazaridis - When you say intermediate to advanced, is that on a skim board or a ocean style wakesurf board? What are you riding today? What can you do today?

There are so many great boards and although I like the IS recommendation, the Ace too is a surf style board so I cannot agree with either recommendation until we know what style Lazaridis rides today.
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-04-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
So Loc have you ever surfed the pumkinseed?
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2008, 3:45 PM Reply   
I am not sure Scott, billy - what model is my ASC stick?
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
Now that I think about it, it's a 5150 I have been on, not a Punkinseed.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-04-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
I think the IS Blue is a really good board for most everyone but not a board that is going to be an all round trick board. Lazaridis is from Greece and may not frame his questions fully.

There are maybe three styles of wakesurf board riding. They are Surf, Skim, and Long board. Surf style boards might be characterized as like ocean boards just shorter and wider. Surf style boards tend to have two to three fins at one end, the finds are relatively deep, they are longer than skim boards, they are thicker than skim boards and they tend to be asymmetric. The Shred Stixx JaMako, Walker Project F18, and IS Blue are surf style boards. A good rider can boost air, pull 3s, Air 3s, and carve the wake hard. Other tricks can also be performed but they don't define the surf riding style.

Skim boards are thinner, lighter, have fins at one or both tips of the board, fins are smaller, and there might be one to three fins at one end of the board. Skim board riders tend to pull more surface spins and they pull consecutive surface spins. A skim style rider might ride the board backwards for quite a while before reverting back to a normal stance. Walzer, Walker composite X, Inland Surfer 4Skim, and Calibrated are all excellent skim style boards. Other tricks can be performed on a skim style board but I don't know that they are class defining.

Long boards are ocean long boards. I think one manufacturer is coming out with a wakesurf long board. The defining long board tricks are posing and hanging five or ten.

Now what kind of tricks is Lazaridis interesting in working on? I think I'd have to say the best all round board might be skim style board. I think that style board might put more tricks within reach for more riders.

So, I don’t think there’s an easy answer here. If I could only have one board that would be a tough decision. I like the SS JaMako, the IS Yellow, and the Calibrated Piscus. Please don’t suggest to my wife that only one board is all any person should need.

I expect that Jeff Walker could define classes better than I did so I'm expecting some corrections here.

(Message edited by Bigshow on February 04, 2008)
Old    surfdad            02-04-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
You did a great job Ed! I think you're right, a good skim style board allows folks to do just about everything. You can do a cheater 5, boost air, do surface spins, top and bottom turns...pretty much the whole gamut. In an over-simplification, I think the defining trick for a skim style board is the shuv. A surf style board is NOT ridden revert easily.

About the only trick a person can't do...or at least I've never seen it done, is to hang 10.

So I think that Lazaridis defined pretty much what he's looking for - "all tricks" so that would entail a skim style board, IMO. Aerials won't be as high as on say a SS Chase Hazen Pro, and hanging 10 will have to be done EXCEPTIONALLY FAST :-) if at all, but other than that a good skimmer will do all tricks, just some not as well as others.

Classic skim style boards are offered from Phase 5, Calibrated, Walzer, Victoria, TWP, Inland Surfer...who else? It feels like I am missing someone!!! That ginko isn't working! :-) I would stick with a single trailing fin rather than a hybrid if shuv based tricks are to me a mainstay...the inside rail fin tends to catch on the wake when ridden revert and makes learning shuv based tricks harder.

I think the folks over at Wakeoutlaws.com have one of the best selections in one place and they are helpful folks to boot.

www.wakeoutlaws.com
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
a yo loc...show up at boardstock.see me then.put up a grand where your mouth is...
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-04-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
a yo loc...show up at boardstock.see me then.put up a grand where your mouth is...
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Show up and put my money where my mouth is?

Because I couldn't recommend an IS Blue or an ASC ACE because I didn't know if the OP was looking for a skim board versus a surf style board? Are you serious?

Sorry you are upset by my unwillingness to misdirect a fellow wakesurfer, that's just not my gig. I just didn't have enough info to pick a specific model.

If I must place a pick with such limited data - the "best all around "trick" board, will be a skim board. The OP states "good board for everything" for an intermediate-advanced rider.

Well, that's simple enough:

IS Loogey 07/07.5 Yellow & 08 Green
07 Walzer Alpha Twin
Phase 5 Drew in 54"
Walker 4.5 GIII Comp-X

Those are the BEST "good at everything" trick boards for intermediate to advanced riders that do not specify if they prefer skim vs surf, that being said the IS wins as it's the closest to a hybrid of the bunch.

Show up with money cause I don't recommend your board, I didn't recommend anything until now with OP's limited data. LOL! Crack me up!
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
Do they even wakesurf at boardstock anymore?

"There are so many great boards and although I like the IS recommendation, the Ace too is a surf style board so I cannot agree with either recommendation until we know what style Lazaridis rides today."

Take a break from the epoxy, you just went all 8-Ball on us again LOL!
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-04-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
Loc i think your comment "Let's see how you ride before we spam the board with what's best" is the problem. You planning a trip to Greece sometime soon to see how he rides? Your perceived as the one talking smack. Thats why i asked if you had ever surfed a punkinseed. I find it odd that its ok for you to spam your brands that you carry but ASC can't. Jeff and Edward's comments are always pure and honest, no other incentives $$$$! Its kind of like taking a dagger and sticking it in and then trying to pull it out, doesn't work.
Old     (locwakeoutlawscom)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-04-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
Scott -

When I asked how he rides I purely meant surf or skim style, makes a big difference when making a recommendation for a surf board that does "all the tricks" per the OP.

I think it's important to get details from a wakesurfer in search of a new stick in order to recommend the best board for them.

No, I am not planning a trip to Greece, I wanted to know his preference style which I think I have made clear from post one.

When I purchased my first wakesurf board the retailer was eager to learn my preference and my style and my skill level in order to recommend the best board for me to be successful. I commend that effort and we at http://www.wakeoutlaws.com do our best to recommend the best board for that rider(s) and we pride ourselves on that practice today, whether we recommend a board we rep or not. That is very apparent in the volume of HL broadcast boards I have recommend and we damn sure do not carry that stick - but it fits a large range of wakesurfers today.

OP - terribly sorry for this hijack, I stand by my recommendations above of the 4 boards I posted with minimal data.
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-04-2008, 8:23 PM Reply   
Nice spin!
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-04-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
lazaridis, if you are looking for a board that is the best of both worlds for you weight check out the Walker 4.5 Composite-X G3, it has the feel of a surf and spins like a skim, with twin future fin boxes you can change out the fins for different rides.
Old    surfdad            02-05-2008, 4:38 AM Reply   
Wow. I know Loc. I also know that his intentions are to be supportive of the growth of wakesurfing. The truth though, is that he is in every sense a retailer.

In my profession we express opinions on financial statements...it's part of what I have done for over a quarter of a century - sheesh where does the time go.

Anyway, the AICPA promulgates rules or standards and one of them deals with independence. In short it precludes a CPA from issuing an opinion on a set of financial statements if said CPA is not independent of the entity being "audited". Independence being defined as a direct connection as in a family relationship or investment in the entity, BUT what it also precludes a PERCEIVED lack of independence - as pointed out by Scott and Billy. This is also why I am so anal about the judging criteria in contests - folks don't realize how they easily compromise the entire contest by not adhering to these standards.

I'll post a snippet from one interpretation below I think it's from the ET section.

Anyway...I think that all of us that are so passionate about wakesurfing have some "perceived" lack of independence. I'd hate to lose the input of folks like Loc, but I also think that when there is a potential for you to have a financial benefit inure to you personally, it's asking for trouble.

Maybe if Loc were to post a disclaimer? I AM A RETAILER, I SELL 'SUCH-AND-SUCH' boards. Ed and I always lose money, I'd love to just break even in the organizing of a contest, but I haven't yet. :-) I think that I will say: I AM AN ORGANIZER and I BEG FOR LOOSE CHANGE AND EQUIPMENT.

I will state for the record that I am an equal opportunity beggar. :-)

The snippet referenced above:

This conceptual framework describes the risk-based approach to analyzing independence matters that is used by the Professional Ethics Executive Committee (PEEC) of the AICPA when it develops independence standards. Under that approach, a member’s relationship with a client is evaluated to determine whether it poses an unacceptable risk to the member’s independence. Risk is unacceptable if the relationship would compromise (or would be perceived as compromising by an informed third party having knowledge of all relevant information) the member’s professional judgment when rendering an attest service to the client.
Old    surfdad            02-05-2008, 5:35 AM Reply   
Trick Boardz! That is the one I forgot - I need more ginko!

23LSV? Are you Ken W - Loc's associate over at Wakeoutlaws.com? If so, that lack of disclosure would feel weird to me, also. This stuff isn't easy.
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-05-2008, 6:12 AM Reply   
My disclosure Surf freak that has rode every board out there and owns one, have no financial gain in any board. Still waiting for Lazaridis to give me a clear picture of his style, type of boat, etc.
Old     (centurion_greece)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-05-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
So have surf style i needed for air360 carve the wakes and etc
And i have a Centurion Avalanche 06
Old    surfdad            02-05-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
LOL! Scott I love the disclosure. "My name is Scott and I'm a surf freak" :-)

Folks in the know, is there a way to add a signature or a tagline on every post?

DISCLAMER: I'm an organizer I beg for money and equipment. Give me yours!
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-05-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
PHASE 5 is an excellent Skim style board that you can do everything on. Cheater five, Floaters airs spins or just cruise behind the boat. Also th Inland skim is a great board. I would just ride is single fin though

And Waterdog Chill on LOC he has a business that sells mostly wakesurfers. so his advice is better than most. And he is trying to give help that makes since not just push on company
(Message edited by ollies_drew on February 05, 2008)

(Message edited by ollies_drew on February 05, 2008)
Old     (centurion_greece)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-05-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
Thank you very much!!!
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-05-2008, 2:59 PM Reply   
Am i missing something, everyone is recommending skim boards. But Lazaridis your saying your style is surf style correct (from your last post)? I think you may need to start over with your request. Hey now Drew don't be spamming this site with what's best! Its a Joke please laugh.

Drew Danielo disclamer :
Sponsors: Centurion Boats, Phase 5, Ten-80, Anarchy, Compound Boardshop, Florida's West Coast Wake Camp, Poorboy
Career Highlights: 2-time World Wakesurfing Champion, Top 10 in Overall Skimboard Standing 2003 & 2004, Drug and alcohol-free my whole life
Championships or Placements: 2003 & 2004 World Wakesurfing Champion, 2nd in 2004 World Wakesurfing Championships
AND OVER ALL BAD A** SKIM BOARD AND WAKESKATE RIDER!
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-06-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
Scott I am just trying to help if he is looking for a surf style then My input is worthless I wasn't aware of that and can't make any recommendations because i never ride that style. It was a good joke. and in the disclaimer can you please change 2X champ to 4X world champ HAHAHa I hope you laugh at this as well.
Old     (bluto)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-06-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
Drew,
How come on the Beginner board thread you trash boards by HL and LF and have "alot of drag" if you never ride that style.
You are right on one thing your " input is worthless"
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-06-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
Sorry for the error on your world champion titles, i just copied what was no the centurion web site and didn't mean to belittle your achievements, i love your style and the way your ride!!! Just trying to break the ice a little from the current programming.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-06-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
Quido, I don't know that I read Drew's comment as trashing. I think the HL boards are good, stable low cost, beginner boards. From my experience I'd say that the IS Yellow and Blue are faster boards. That doesn't make the Broadcast a bad board.

I'm not sure that I'd call the Broadcast or the Landlocked a surf style board. One thing I don't like about the Broadcast is the fin set up. The fins are fairly deep and long. The fin length is excessively long, making spins difficult. Also the outside pair of fins are parallel to the center line of the board. That make the board slow turning, which again is bad for spinning.

A friend has a Phase 5 Oogle but I haven't had an opportunity to ride it. So I don't have any first hand Phase 5 experience. Drew has credentials and I believe that he properly qualified his statement as “worthless” relative to surf style boards. I’m also willing to bet that he can ride a surf style board better than most folks that visit this forum.

I prefer to see posts that are mature and informed. I think this is the first week that I’ve seen Drew post on this forum. I like seeing a world champion take a few minutes to share what he knows. I’m sure that he’ll respect the WW posting guidelines.
Old    surfdad            02-06-2008, 8:12 PM Reply   
"I’m sure that he’ll respect the WW posting guidelines."

That's a good point Ed, those guidelines pretty much prevent blantant advertising. I'd hate to see MORE rep's and manufacturers following along with some of what Drew is doing. It certainly is nice that we have such a talented athlete and a rep from Phase 5 posting, though.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-06-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
Jeff, many of us answer the first-timer question and make recommendations. To my eye you do a very good job of presenting balanced reviews. I recall that Jerry Price made a post early this year complaining about rule breaking.

Drew for example is a team rider. He or any other team rider for that matter has an obligation to represent his sponsors. They also need to respect the forum rules. If someone asks a general question about skim boards you’d have to think that Drew might have something to say. If some one asks a direct Phase 5 question you’d also expect that Drew would have something meaningful to say. Even offering a speed comparison is I think reasonable.

I started out two years ago only having ridden one board, the HL Broadcast 5.6. Since then my experience promoting wakesurfing has given me opportunities to ride maybe three dozen boards. Few have that opportunity. I do my best to share the experience and inform others. At $300 to $850 per board it would be nice to know what your next board might be like before you buy. I can’t offer informed comment on boards that I haven’t touched. Others can. If Drew is offering first hand experience and descriptions of what makes a good performing board to me that seems reasonable.

Again I personally am pleased to see an expert become involved in this community.
Old    surfdad            02-06-2008, 9:01 PM Reply   
Ed, my dear friend and respected colleague. Agreed. However, to quote Drew:

"Jimmy the Phse 5 is the king of skim style. After all it is made by the same people that amek ZAP SKIMBOARDS."

That, IMO is advertising. I would hate to see every thread littered with that sort of thing from every manufacturer and rep. Or, conversely, having some reps NOT posting because they wish to be respectful of the community and the rules and choose a more conservative approach. Certainly descriptions on boat ballasting, how to perform tricks, etc would always be appreciated and is informative. "My sponsors' board company is the best" is, IMO, advertising. If I am not mistaken Mr. Williams clarified that on here.

It is past my bedtime! It must be almost midnight back there!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-06-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
Drew has more experience wakesurfing then everyone on this entire board put together.

I'm sure that he's ridden a HL & LF more than once.

I don't ride for nor am affiliated with anyone and I say the same thing.
Old     (surf_rage)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-07-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Well drew is 20 so he was born in 1988 and i know Jerry Price started wakesurfing in 1972. Thats only one person on this site that has 36 yrs of experience. caskimmer the issue is blantant adverting on the WW site as stated by the guidlines. When people that are sponsored are affiliated with a board company are pushing their brands on the site, thats adverting "Jimmy the Phse 5 is the king of skim style. After all it is made by the same people that amek ZAP SKIMBOARDS."
Old     (h20k9)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-07-2008, 8:31 AM Reply   
caskimmer,drew is bad to the bone for sure..triple threat athlete from hell.he is in my top fav riders.but he aint got none for the bryan brothers from laguna.so dont go biten off more than he can chew.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-07-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
OK, I have a couple of year on Jerry then. Except back in 68 we tried and couldn't figure out how to actually surf behind a boat. Dad's boat barely made a ripple in the water.

There have been other claims of greatness on this forum. Those folks have generally been reeled in. With this line of discussion I'm guessing that Drew will dial it back a little. If not I think he'd be putting his credibility at risk, that’s regardless of his credentials.