Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-01-2007, 8:35 PM Reply   
Anyone put a chip in their truck to get better gas mileage while towing. They obviously get more horsepower, but was wondering if the chips really help in MPG.

I have a dual flowmaster catback exhaust and K&N cold air intake on my 06 chevy silverado 5.3 engine. It's definately letting the engine breathe and I have increased gas mileage by 2-3 mpg with those upgrades.

I'm looking at the Hypertech programmer III performance chip. It looks like it's about $300. I don't want to spend anymore than that and don't care to have the dash display chip either (more expensive).
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-01-2007, 9:31 PM Reply   
When using the hypertech or any other fuel programmer, if you program it for better mileage, the computer will lean the fuel delivery out. That causes increased cylinder temp, leading to shorter engine life.
If Chevrolet thought they could get any more MPG out of it, they would have already done it.
BTW when I installed the K&N on my 03 Chev 2500HD, the mileage dropped off. probably due to needing more gas to match the extra air.
I own a shop & have a Dyno & have not measured any substantial horse power gains.
I still sell k&n & flowmaster/ magnaflow, but I dont gaurantee any MPG gains
No offense to you
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-01-2007, 10:04 PM Reply   
http://www.nelsonperformance.com/
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-02-2007, 6:41 AM Reply   
Mark pretty well hit it on the head. I've got the intake and exhaust along with a wait for me custom tune. I haven't noticed a significant increase in towing performance, however the trottle responce is better and have notice ~1-2 mpg gain overall (insignificant if you ask me). Got to remember though, where they claim HP and TQ increases are in the 4-6k rpm range where we don't need it for towing.

The other thing with my program, Jesse took out some of the torque management when I DON'T have it in t/h mode which keeps power on between shifts, and you can feel that.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-02-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
no offense taken! :-) That's why I posted this. I wanted to see what others thought/know.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-02-2007, 7:32 AM Reply   
Peter is right on, go see a real tuner they will do much more for you than a hand held. If you don't have a good tuner near by you could send your pcm to them and they have it back to you in usually 3-4 days.
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
Throw an STS kit on any GM and be done with it!

STS

Upload
Upload
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-02-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
so at this point sounds like spending 300 on a handheld isn't the way to go?...

was leaning on the upgrade only for the long tow that I was about to make from Arizona to Oklahoma (Lake Eufaula). 1100 miles one way.

I guess I figured the handheld programmer could help on gas, but doesn't sound like it's a good choice really.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-02-2007, 3:42 PM Reply   
I would try pcmforless bryan is very well respected and some people I know have had some good results.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
I was just about to rec PCM4LESS, they are real big into drag racing EFI engines. I would rec having 2 computers, one for performance, 1 for smog regulations & any manufacturer warranty.
I'm gonna be drag racing a stock 91 Trans Am, but w/ 456 gears, nitrous, radial slicks & programing by PCM4LESS, should run 11's if it hooks up. I hope, i hope, i hope.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-02-2007, 10:27 PM Reply   
uhhh, lost me on that one.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-03-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
PCMforless.com I think is the site, if youre really gonna reprogram check them out. they can change your shift points & tailor the programming to your needs. Or you could installa gear splitter. heres the link.

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/underdrives_gearsplitters.htm
The main benefit of a gear splitter is when you are either towing a heavy trailer, or the vehicle is a motorhome or bus in mountainous country. (Semis want them, but they already have them) Have you ever been trying to climb a long grade, and your rig just won't pull the grade, say, in third, then you gotta drop all the way back to second and climb it at 30 mph or wind out the motor. What a gear splitter does is it gives you additional gears in between your current gears. You will have that gear right in between 2nd and 3rd that would be perfect for that hill. Or in between third and fourth if that is the case.