Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                07-20-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=16251

I'm really close to landing my backroll I just need 1 or 2 tips or just to know what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

Thanks, Max
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-20-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
you might try edging all the way through the wake as hard as you are when you first start to edge, it looks like you let up significantly, you might also try to pull the rope towards you a little more to load the line, when you land it looks like you're just not quite rotated enough so try those two things and practice practice practice man, it looks like you're really really close

also, the slow motion part of the vid is hilarious when they talk..

best of luck
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-20-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
you also might try leaning back a little more when you take off and as you finish with your rotation
Old                07-20-2005, 9:51 PM Reply   
your approach and stuff looks good... but remember, the way you leave the wake is how you will usually land... when you look when you land is where you will go... looking down (like you were doing) will make you eat it when learning tricks. you over-rotated on one backroll... to slow the rotation down let off with your back hand half way through the trick, but its best to learn it with 2 hands on the handle for more control.

thats just my .02 cents.
Old                07-22-2005, 10:09 AM Reply   
To me it looks like your letting the handle get too far away from you and your spinning slightly which causes you to catch your edge.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-22-2005, 10:21 AM Reply   
Alex...does letting the handle get too far away from you tend to cause more of an off-axis 3 rotation rather than a over tip-to-tail rotation (which is obviously what you want for a backroll)? I can come in on a tall position and pop the trick with no problem. I get plenty of height but when I come back around and spot the water, I end up landing on my extreme heelside edge, then slip out immediately onto my butt.

So, I'm thinking maybe I'm either letting the hangle get out too far away from me or I'm throwing the trick too far away from the boat...or both.

Any thoughts on what I might be doing wrong??? Thanks.
Old     (nc05lsv)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-04-2005, 7:56 PM Reply   
As a recent graduate of wiping out on the backflip and by no means being an expert, I was doing the same thing and for me it was from not edging all the way through the wake. When I flattened out, like it looks you may be doing, it screwed up my line tension and instead of landing on edge I was flat and would skid out. After making myself edge, it just happened. I know the guys on here say it over and over but sometimes what you think you are doing and what you really are doing are two different things..........good luck......and Advil really works.......
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-05-2005, 2:20 PM Reply   
more progressive you are starting right off the bat with a hard cut and letting off. you need to start easier and your hardest cut needs to be at the top of the wake cutting away from the boat. and when your coming around look for the water and drop your back hand itll slow down your rotation. good luck
Old    stoked27            08-05-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
Andrew, I've had quite a few people learn backrolls behind my boat, they all had the same problem (landing on their butt). What helped them was standing straight up at the top of the wake. They were still in their cut when they started their rotation, so they were landing on edge. If you're landing on edge, it most likely means you're starting your rotation on edge.

Max, I did notice in the video that the rope seemed to be getting away from you in the air. Keep it close to you.