Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-28-2010, 4:33 PM Reply   
I know this has been beaten to death, but I really wanna upgrade my setup and I'm on a serious budget. Here's what I'm currently running on the tower: kicker cvr8", kicker 6" mid kicker 1.5" tweeter. This setup actually sounds really good, really clear. But at 80 ft its kinda faint and really have to blair it out to hear it. So for upgrading on a budget I am thinking of doing the kicker kmt6's or getting a pair of the krypt 8" lchd's. Any comparisons for the two?

Then if I do get the 8" krypts, should I just replace my kicker cvr's that are currently in the cans and leave the other compenents alone? Or would I be better off removing all of it and just having the hcld 8s runnin? thanks
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-28-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
First off those are pretty cool cans. You should be able to fit a 8" krypt and a 6" krypt in the cans. If you call they are still doing deals on the 8" speakers. I think if you were me. I would sell those speakers on ebay. I bet you get some money for them. I would then buy the 8" speaker cans from boardersmall. They were $75-90 bucks plus $20 to ship. Sometimes they are more with free shipping. Once you have these cans you will need to enlarge the hole a half of an inch. For some reason the basket on the krypts is large. I have done this one 8 speakers so far and they work great. I used a rotozip. Takes 5 minutes a can. Then you will need the speaker terminals from diywake. They are like $10 bucks. So you could have a pair of 8" HLCD speakers in new cans for under $400. Or if you don't feel like cutting, I think Krypt sells their cans for like $200 if you call.
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-28-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
I went from a pair of KMT6's to a pair of 8" HLCD's. The difference was amazing and I think exactly what your would be looking for. Thye sound great and you don't have to "blair them out" to hear at the end of the rope. The Krypt HLCD's are like turning on your car stereo in your car. You can hear them perfectly even at a low volume if you want it louder just turn it up!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-28-2010, 5:58 PM Reply   
Duffy,

That is funny that you just said that because I just bought th 8" Krypts on ebay and then bought the 8" cans on boardersmall like you said for i think $77 and just went through the process of cutting the hole bigger drilling and tapping the holes and bought the speaker terminals. I think i'm going to actually put them on the boat tomorrow.

Did you notice that the cans scratch super easy? A guy on the centurion crew used the spray on bedliner from walmart on his cans and they look really good, I think I may do the same.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/175-65-...820.html&st=20
Old    falcon_v            04-28-2010, 6:43 PM Reply   
That would be me.
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-28-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
WOW those look pretty damn good! Kudos.

Hawk, remember that you are going to need a lot of amp to push the HLCD's. Where as with the KMT 6's you could get away with say a JL Audio g1300. http://www.woofersetc.com/p7213/G130...Watt-Amplifier
150 watts is the minimum on HLCD's I throw 250 at each of mine.

You would need one of these per pair of HLCD's

I will say that one pair of HLCD's is going to be louder and more clear than the KMT6's at 80'
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-28-2010, 10:28 PM Reply   
Would it be just the same to replace the cvr's with the krypts and keep running the 6 and 1.5? Then I don't have to shell out for new cans? I guess if I could get some money for this setup it would offset?

Well, this what I got runnin for amps...currently have JL 450/4 and JL 300/4. I also have a Xtant 4.4 that I could run.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-28-2010, 10:31 PM Reply   
double kudos on the walmart bedliner! those look nice. I've heard people discuss rhino lining, but I look at the back of my truck and I don't see how that would look good on a speaker can, but those look cool. nice work
Old     (bingbing)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-28-2010, 11:18 PM Reply   
What is your budget?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-29-2010, 5:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk22 View Post
Would it be just the same to replace the cvr's with the krypts and keep running the 6 and 1.5? Then I don't have to shell out for new cans? I guess if I could get some money for this setup it would offset?

Well, this what I got runnin for amps...currently have JL 450/4 and JL 300/4. I also have a Xtant 4.4 that I could run.
How are your current cans wired? Just a single connection for all speakers? Or two runs for each can?

I think your idea of retrofiting could work but I'd think that you'd want to have independent control of (and power to) the hlcds and the old speakers. The hlcds are gluttons for power and you will want to be able to gIve them all the juice they can handle. The 6.5/tweet combo on the other hand will probably sound better for strictly near-field listening but those speakers will be crying uncle before you are giving them enough power to even get the hlcds warmed up. But if you could power the two complementary setups independently and fade between them it could be the best of both worlds. Would definitely take some time to dial in tuning wise, and might mean add'l wiring if you only have one run per can now.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-29-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
The boarders mall cans are just polished aluminum. So you can always re-polish. But yes they scratch really easily. I like the bed liner idea. Mine look pretty good. They sound freaking amazing! I know they are a copy. Sorry bullets, I will buy your stuff next time
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-29-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Duff, at least you know : )

Hawk, honestly dude do away with those speakers all together or just retrofit the 8" and disconnect the others. It would be super tough to get them dialed in together, I'd be willing to give you a hand trying if you want though. Amp wise you are fine with the front two channels of the JL 450/4 they will power the HLCD's just fine at 150 watts each and if you decide the back two channels at 75 watts could run the seperates.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-29-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
my budget is prob limited to kmt6s or krypts only. ...so under $400 for sure. I wasn't planning on adding amps at this point. Would any of my amps power the krypts properly?

I have a lower end JL 12" (don't remember the model, but it pretty basic). then my tower speaks and 4 interior speakers? With the amps I got, what's best where??
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-29-2010, 1:44 PM Reply   
weird. your post wasn't there when I posted...you kinda answered the question.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-29-2010, 2:08 PM Reply   
To answer your other question you can bridge half of the 300/4 to the sub and parallel the 4 interiors into the other half of the amp.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-29-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
If your 8" speaker opening is big enough you might be able to run an Eminence Beta -8 or 8CX. You can usually get them off ebay cheap. You would need a driver also. The would sound awesome! But this would be getting complicated.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
hey I just realized those cans from boarder'small are 2" or 2.5" clamps only. I have an 03 supra launch with rad-a-cage tower, it measures 1.5" (maybe 1-5/8). Any suggestions for modifying clamps? or do I need to look at a different can?

Last edited by hawk22; 05-03-2010 at 7:46 PM.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-03-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
It comes with rubber inserts for your tower size. I got 1-7/8ths.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2010, 8:29 PM Reply   
they say 1-7/8ths is the absolute smallest though. may have to find some thicker rubber material locally. Or maybe just double up the rubber inserts they provide..
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2010, 11:50 PM Reply   
Hey mathew, any pics of your setup yet? How'd install go? just ordered the same setup, any info would be appreciated. thanks
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-04-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
Bullet lines sells more inserts.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-04-2010, 10:56 AM Reply   
so I'm gonna need new wire terminal to connect to the new can. If my wires now have quick connect on them, can i just buy a female end to install in new can, or do i just buy a whole new adapter? I ask mainly because I'm selling my current setup and wondering if I should just cut my wires and leave him both plug and plugin?
Attached Images

Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-05-2010, 6:49 PM Reply   
Jeremy,

The Install went well but it definately took some time since I'm a newby to the whole audio thing. I ended up cutting the hole bigger like others have mentioned. But I used a skill saw with a metal specific blade and it worked fine. Then I drilled and tapped the holes for 6-32 SS pan head phillips screws. I mounted the crossover in the back of the cans with velcro just like in the video on the Bulletlines site. The clamps didn't fit right with the inserts and were too big without them so i ended up buying some 1/8" thick rubber from orchard and used it as an inser instead and it worked perfectly.
I don't actually have any pictures of the speakers on the tower because i keep my boat at a friends house and i take the speakers off when not n use.
I'm pretty pumped about the performance. I did however end up angleing the speakers out to the sides a little bit so you could hear them better when cutting outside the wake.

Hope this answers your questions and i'll try to get pics up soon.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-17-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
well I ended up with krypts. hard to beat when I picked them up for 209 shipped off ebay. my cans are coming from boardersmall. debating what to do with the cans...I hear some people recommend powder coating? Not to be too cheap, but could you get away with spray paint or will just look bad? I've been amazed at what can or black rustoleum can do to change the look of something? actually, that bedliner looks pretty darn good too. Also, I hear people putting dynamat in the cans, is this necessary?